WTA News and Gossip 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoergren

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
A couple of you didn't give big Sasha any chances - or only 6 months coaching Karolina Pliskova - but he is still there and yes he managed to get her to the WTA finals so I think he'll be there in 2022 too.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
A couple of you didn't give big Sasha any chances - or only 6 months coaching Karolina Pliskova - but he is still there and yes he managed to get her to the WTA finals so I think he'll be there in 2022 too.
Just because he's still there doesn't mean he's doing her a bunch of good. She got to USO final before him, had chances to win it and didn't.

Hoergren

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Just because he's still there doesn't mean he's doing her a bunch of good. She got to USO final before him, had chances to win it and didn't.
Well I¨m not talking about him - I'm talking about your wrong predictions when he became her coach - get it?

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Well the rumors were true,
Johanna Konta,30,has announced her retirement,after 10 years on the tour,recently engaged,she's ready to move on from tennis.
Wishing you all the best in your retirement!
Further information,Konta will be getting married later in December.

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Breaking News,

Statement from Steve Simon,CEO WTA,

"With full support of the WTA Board of Directors,I am announcing the immediate suspension of all WTA tournaments in China,including Hong Kong" until the WTA gets a clearer position of the safety of Peng Shuai.

Great news from the WTA they did threaten to suspend the tournaments in China and they made good on their word.A very strong response!

This is the full statement from CEO Steve Simon.

www.tennisnow.com/News/2021/December/wta-cuts-cord-win-china-in-support-of-peng-shuai.

Last edited:

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Very brave by the WTA and very commendable. China is a bully nation, a rogue nation that gets away with so much just by sheer intimidation, and I hope the ATP follow suit and suspend their scheduled events for next year in China. It’ll be very interesting to see how this pans out, but if the WTA get plenty of international support for this, they may be seen in the future as having made the move that finally saw the west stand up to China.

And of course the main goal is the safety of Peng Shuai, who is in the most terrible situation…

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Breaking News,

Statement from Steve Simon,CEO WTA,

"With full support of the WTA Board of Directors,I am announcing the immediate suspension of all WTA tournaments in China,including Hong Kong" until the WTA gets a clearer position of the safety of Peng Shuai.

Great news from the WTA they did threaten to suspend the tournaments in China and they made good on their word.A very strong response!

This is the full statement from CEO Steve Simon.

www.tennisnow.com/News/2021/December/wta-cuts-cord-win-china-in-support-of-peng-shuai.
Looks like more tennis in Chitown.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
This is the statement from ITF,

"The International Tennis Federation as the governing body of tennis,stands in support of all women's rights.Our primary concern remains Peng Shuai's wellbeing.The allegations Peng made must be addressed.We will continue to support all effects being made to that end,both publicly and behind the scenes".

Ellentonboy

Pro Tour Player
Reactions
Quite frankly I think some countries should boycott their Olympic Winter Games in China as well.I know Australia has been talking about it.
I have read that the US will not be sending any diplomatic representatives to the Olympic Games in China. However, at this point this point the athletes are still scheduled to compete.

Reactions: Moxie

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I have read that the US will not be sending any diplomatic representatives to the Olympic Games in China. However, at this point this point the athletes are still scheduled to compete.
I think athletes who have trained so hard should be allowed to go,though I agree that not sending any diplomatic respresentatives is sending a strong message to China.I also hear today in Australia,they are thinking along the same lines as America.
I am also very disappointed in the response from the ATP.I thought they would also taken the same strong stance as the WTA,by suspending tournaments in China,though they didn't.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Iga Swiatek announced today she has parted ways with her coach of 5 years Piotr Sierzputowski.Iga will start working with Tomasz Wiktorowski (as interim coach,Radwanka's former coach).

Reactions: AnonymousFan

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Bianca Andreescu will not play at the AO in 2022.Bianca will take some additional time to reflect,train and be ready for the upcoming 2022 season,as the last two years have been very challenging for Bianca,variety of reasons.

Last edited:
Reactions: Moxie

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Very brave by the WTA and very commendable. China is a bully nation, a rogue nation that gets away with so much just by sheer intimidation, and I hope the ATP follow suit and suspend their scheduled events for next year in China. It’ll be very interesting to see how this pans out, but if the WTA get plenty of international support for this, they may be seen in the future as having made the move that finally saw the west stand up to China.

And of course the main goal is the safety of Peng Shuai, who is in the most terrible situation…
ATP unfortunately not following suit. But we'll see if that holds up. They're getting a lot of criticism.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
ATP unfortunately not following suit. But we'll see if that holds up. They're getting a lot of criticism.
This is to their shame. I remember when Shahar Peer was blocked from hearing Dubai for being Jewish, thinking that both tours should have cancelled the event, and now the WTA have done the right thing here, with a young tennis players life in danger…

Reactions: Ellentonboy
Status
Not open for further replies.