2024 WTA News & Gossip

PhiEaglesfan712

Masters Champion
Reactions
With the dawning of 2024 here, it's time to start a new thread. Happy new year everyone.

384300-solar-eclipse-2024.jpg

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Watched Angie Kerber's match at the United Cup she was playing against Jasmine Paolini Spain, even though Kerber lost it was close, the defense and that fhand at times were good, coming back from maternity leave.
Watched Qinwen Zheng playing against Vondarousa ( current Wimbledon champion) at the United Cup, Zheng won in 3 sets, she came out firing in the 1st set, won 61, then seem to lose her way in the 2nd set, lost 2-6, then reset and found her game again and was too good, one of my up and coming players.

Reactions: AnonymousFan

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Another player I am interested in watching today, Monday 1st 2024, at the Brisbane International is the much anticipated match Naomi Osaka, coming back from maternity leave, she will play Tamara Korpastach, the winner will play 3 times Brisbane winner Karolina Pliskova

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
My wish is for the WTA gets its act together a better website for starters, it would be helpful if it could post the full playing schedule for 2024 while they are at it :)

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Some sad news for the beginning of WTA 2024 season,

Karolina Muchova has withdrawn from the AO, pain in her wrist came back in the middle of her preparation for the new season. Muchova will wait till her wrist is fully healed first before joining the tour in 2024

Note:,
Emma Raducanu will now need 2 more withdrawals to get into the MD, AO 2024)

Last edited:
  • Sad

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Some Happy News!

Petra Kvitova ( currently No 17 ranked player) is the latest women's tennis star with baby news!
Petra and husband Jiri will be welcoming a baby into their family this Summer!
Congratulations Petra and Jiri!

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Just started watching Osaka at Brisbane, breaks at love playing against #84 Tamara Korpatsch
Good 1st set from Osaka 6-3
Osaka is one of the 'cleanest ball strikers from the baseline " I love to watch!

Last edited:
Reactions: the AntiPusher

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Just started watching Osaka at Brisbane, breaks at love playing against #84 Tamara Korpatsch
Good 1st set from Osaka 6-3
Osaka is one of the 'cleanest ball strikers from the baseline " I love to watch!
Osaka looks good. Very sharp. Agreed she is a solid bal striker.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Osaka was serving for the match 5-3 and was broken by Tamara, who started to mix things up and bring Osaka forward to the net, this is an area that Osaka needs to work on, her transition game to the net, and volley etc
6 games all 2nd set TB to begin for the 2nd set
Wow what a TB from both players, Tamara really made Osaka work for the win on her 3rd MP Osaka wins in SS 63 76(9)
Osaka has to be happy with that performance, yes there were BHs she would have made, her serve at times let her down, though after being off the court and coming back after having a child not bad at all, also this HC suits Osaka's game
Well done!

Last edited:
Reactions: don_fabio

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Speaking of veterans, I was shocked to see Kerber on court yesterday! I guess she's trying to help Zverev in the United Cup! She lost her match! :-)2
Kerber coming back from maternity leave she announced that towards the end of last year,? did you actually watch her match? she was not just at the United Cup to help Zverev win for Germany?, she was not too far off her overall game, she showed good defense and her fhand which has always been her trade mark was also solid throughout the match. For her first match back on the tour after having a baby she was solid and of course there are improvements that are needed in her game

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Just looking quickly at the order of play in Auckland tomorrow
Gauff (1) vs C.Liu
.Wozniacki WC vs Svitolina Good lord Caroline didnt get any favors did she:)
Interested to see how Emma Raducanu also a WC and coming back from wrist and ankle surgery does against Q Ruse

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Okay I went back and found the up to date withdrawals for the AO 2024
Muchova ( wrist)
Bencic ( pregnant)
Kvitova (pregnant)
Begu I am yet to find out her injury or the reason of her withdrawal
Andreescu ( on going back injury)

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
United Cup News,
With 2 days of United Cup group play remaining 2 of the quarter finalists in Perth have been determind Poland and Australia, the defending champions USA were eliminated by Australia
In Sydney with groups B,D,and F nothing has been settled