Player of the Year Ash Barty
Team of the Year Krejcikova/Siniakova
Most Improved Player Barbora Krejcikova
Newcomer of the Year Emma Raducanu
Comeback Player of the Year Carla Suarez Navarro

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I think athletes who have trained so hard should be allowed to go,though I agree that not sending any diplomatic respresentatives is sending a strong message to China.I also hear today in Australia,they are thinking along the same lines as America.
I am also very disappointed in the response from the ATP.I thought they would also taken the same strong stance as the WTA,by suspending tournaments in China,though they didn't.
Australia has also decided today that they will also follow America not sending any diplomatic representatives to the Winter Games

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Statement from Serena Williams on her withdrawal from the AO 2022,

"Following the advice of my medical team I have decided to withdraw from this year's Australian Open.While this is never an easy decision to make.I am not where I need to be physically to compete.Melbourne is one of my favorite cities to visit and look forward to playing at the AO every year.I will miss seeing the fans but am excited to return and compete at my highest level".

Ellentonboy

Pro Tour Player
Reactions
I don't find Serena's withdrawal all that surprising. I see alot of her on social media and online press reports, however the majority of it seems to be non-tennis related. I just keep wondering if she will ever get that final elusive grand slam title. I don't doubt she has medical issues, not at all. But the clock is ticking, she plays few events and without competition on even a monthly basis it must be difficult to work herself back into shape for a deep run at a Grand Slam. It is a shame, but to me, not a surprise.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
I don't find Serena's withdrawal all that surprising. I see alot of her on social media and online press reports, however the majority of it seems to be non-tennis related. I just keep wondering if she will ever get that final elusive grand slam title. I don't doubt she has medical issues, not at all. But the clock is ticking, she plays few events and without competition on even a monthly basis it must be difficult to work herself back into shape for a deep run at a Grand Slam. It is a shame, but to me, not a surprise.
Her hamstring looks great in all of her commercials?.... hmmm

Reactions: Ellentonboy

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Quite frankly I feel that elusive grand slam is out of her reach now,this recent injury which happened at Wimbledon last year,has not healed 100%,I saw her on Jimmy Kimmels late night recently and she said it has taken a long time to heal,though she was looking forward playing at the AO..I was not surprised at all she is not playing at the AO in 2022.Another factor she would have had to ask for a wild card as her ranking has dropped to No 41, as she would not be seeded,being a former champion she would have received a wild card.

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Players confirmed for WTA500 Charleston Open (April 2-10)
Simona Halep
Garbine Muguruza
Paula Badosa
Belinda Bencic
Leylah Fernandez
Madison Keys
Sloane Stephens

Hoergren

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Another good result for Clara Tauson who took part in The French club championship on the winning team -here the result of the final match where her club won 4-0

1639068086338.png

Remember Zidansek was semifinalist in French Open and #30 in the WTA rankings
1639068179968.png

From the Courrier picard, Clara Tauson holds the French club chanpionship trophy up, and gets praise: "The deciding point was won by an ice-cold Dane Clara Tauson, not yet 19 and slready WTA 44

Reactions: Moxie and tented

Ellentonboy

Pro Tour Player
Reactions
For the first time,two of the four tournament directors at Grand Slam events are woman,
Stacey Allaster at the US Open
Amelie Mauresmo (newly appointed) French Open/Roland Garos.
Happy for Mauresmo, I wonder how Guy Forget is feeling right now. I wasn't sure if he didn't want to do it anymore, or if he was asked to step aside. Either way I think Mauresmo will do a fantastic job, it is her home Grand Slam and I am sure she knows all the eyes of the tennis world will be on the event and how well things go. Let's hope Covid is not raging, and there can be fans. I am just a bit concerned about the new variant, I hope it doesn't destroy the 2022 season.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Happy for Mauresmo, I wonder how Guy Forget is feeling right now. I wasn't sure if he didn't want to do it anymore, or if he was asked to step aside. Either way I think Mauresmo will do a fantastic job, it is her home Grand Slam and I am sure she knows all the eyes of the tennis world will be on the event and how well things go. Let's hope Covid is not raging, and there can be fans. I am just a bit concerned about the new variant, I hope it doesn't destroy the 2022 season.
Actually I was a bit surprised when Amelie got the position,I felt maybe she did not have enough experience? though the 'powers that be' must have felt she had.From what I am reading Guy Forget was sacked?....I guess he is not feeling all the well,presently.I do not think at present Omicron is bad,presently to my knowledge there has not been any deaths.I agree lets hope the 2022 season will be drama free I think the world needs it on all levels.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I didn't know this was even a question on the minds of tennis fans: Venus and Reilly...dating? Apparently, not.

Let's face it, Venus is funny. When asked on twitter about Reilly, she said "@reillyopelka shot me down" She also said to him on twitter: "Borrowing shirt. Wearing as dress," the seven-time major champion commented. I think Venus's sense of humor is under-appeciated. Also @kskate2, Opelka's "mountain man" look seems to clean up pretty nice, off-court.

Reactions: MargaretMcAleer

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I didn't know this was even a question on the minds of tennis fans: Venus and Reilly...dating? Apparently, not.

Let's face it, Venus is funny. When asked on twitter about Reilly, she said "@reillyopelka shot me down" She also said to him on twitter: "Borrowing shirt. Wearing as dress," the seven-time major champion commented. I think Venus's sense of humor is under-appeciated. Also @kskate2, Opelka's "mountain man" look seems to clean up pretty nice, off-court.
Love Venus 'quick dry sense of humor' LOL!

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
WTA Player Service and Sportsmanship Awards;

WTA Coach Of The Year Conchita Martinz
Peachy Kellmeyer Player Service Award Kristie Ahn (USA)
Karen Krantzcke Sportsmanship Award Carla Suarez Navarro.

Ellentonboy

Pro Tour Player
Reactions
WTA Player Service and Sportsmanship Awards;

WTA Coach Of The Year Conchita Martinz
Peachy Kellmeyer Player Service Award Kristie Ahn (USA)
Karen Krantzcke Sportsmanship Award Carla Suarez Navarro.
I think those awards are spot on. Obviously I am not at every WTA event, I have had the opportunity to attend the US Open and the event in Miami in years past but the winners seem appropriate. Martinez was instrumental with Muguruza rising to number 3 and everyone can see by watching her matches that Navarro always appears gracious towards her opponents. I think these well deserved recognitions.

Reactions: MargaretMcAleer
Status
Not open for further replies.