Miami Open, Florida, USA, ATP Masters 2017

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
From an article by Steinberg in tennis.com

"Federer was the most dominant player of his era. That era is now ending, but instead of some Hewitt-like figure taking advantage of the void that is beginning to form, it’s a resurgent Federer who is cashing in on it. He’s like that 65-year-old guy on his third marriage who fathers a kid that is younger than his grandchildren—a strained analogy, I admit (with a strong yuck factor, too), but you get my point."

N

Nekro

Sigh... again with the inaccuracies, considering I opined that humidity was a factor in the speed variance irrespective of court speed. Keep trying though.. this is fun. And matey... people's opinions can be wrong. Do you really not know that?
Just lol :lulz1: All of you were clueless about why Miami plays more slowly, including mrzz, i wrote fricking first it was humidity doing it when i posted the court pace index and now you're acting as if anybody had a clue about it before me. You "opined" anything after i already told you the answer just a few posts before. And when i called you out on it you said you saw and liked my post but looked only at the index and not my text, just :lulz1::laugh::lol3: Good clownery

You said i should have admitted i was wrong about the WTF but you didn't produce any evidence people are not tanking. That means i have nothing to admit. Get it? And yes, the most valued posters, lots of players I know agree it's a tank tourney, like it or not.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
From an article by Steinberg in tennis.com

"Federer was the most dominant player of his era. That era is now ending, but instead of some Hewitt-like figure taking advantage of the void that is beginning to form, it’s a resurgent Federer who is cashing in on it. He’s like that 65-year-old guy on his third marriage who fathers a kid that is younger than his grandchildren—a strained analogy, I admit (with a strong yuck factor, too), but you get my point."

A 36 year old man defeated a 21 year old ..wow

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Rafa will surely be a major force this clay season. Already in HC he has reached three finals. He will only improve in the clay season.

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Just to nitpick, Roger doesn't turn 36 until August while Kyrgios turns 22 in a few weeks, so we should say 35 defeated an almost 22 year old.

Still, it is a huge gap - almost 14 years. Similar gaps in Open Era history:

Laver (8/38) and Connors (9/52). Jimmy won their lone match in early 1977 when he was in his prime (24) and Laver was almost done (38).

Connors (9/52) and Edberg (1/66). 6-6 in the H2H. Jimmy won 5 of their first six in 1984-85 when he turned 32-33 and Edberg was 18-19. Stefan turned it around from 1987-91, winning 5 of 6, when Jimmy was 34-39 and Stefan was 21-25.

Becker (11/67) and Federer (8/81). They never played because Boris retired around the same time that Roger was getting going - and this was the norm for players of a similar gap in age.

Nadal (6/86) and Auger Aliassime (8/00). They haven't played yet but I added it to give context.

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Never mind, I won´t play the role of the guy seeing only the negative side of a player. I still think people overrate Kyrgios, but ok. He is good enough to be where he is.

A couple things. One, Kyrgios is exciting because there's not a lot of talent among players in their early to mid-20s. The whole generation of players born in the early 90s is looking like a lost generation; even Dominic Thiem (born 1993) is looking like, at best, a solid second tier type. Kyrgios, born in 1995, is the first of a more talented cohort of player born in the mid-to-late 90s that will take over the field.

As for Kyrgios himself, what I see is a very talented player with some mental issues. I see a player who, when he's relatively focused, could beat almost anyone and is probably better than all but four or five players on tour (Roger, Rafa, Novak, Andy, and maybe Stan). He may be less consistent, but he's better than Raonic, Dimitrov, Nishikori, Tsonga, Berdych, Thiem, and just about everyone else.

As far as upside goes, I can't name a single player who is both close to actualizing his potential and has as high of an upside, with the possible exception of Zverev. While I don't think Zverev is as explosive as Nick (yet), and may not be more talented, I do think the young German will have a better career because he's got a better mentality. But let's not forget that Zverev is two years younger and, I think, about a year behind Kyrgios developmentally. In other words, it would really surprise me if Zverev won a Slam this year; I could see him winning one of the late Masters, but probably not a Slam - unless he takes another step forward before the US Open. But Kyrgios? I could see him winning Wimbledon or the US Open, although probably not RG.

Zverev aside, among players younger than Nick, who has similar talent? I can't think of anyone. Maybe one or two of the really young guys will get there eventually, but not for a few years.

So yeah, that's the excitement about Kyrgios. Ignoring all of the above, he is simply a very explosive player who is capable of beating anyone on a good day. That's reason enough to keep notice.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
Yep, she did and the camera was shouting that moment to her

I think the reason was Nick was changing his racquet at the wrong time. He was already taking a long time between points during the match.

I have to say I'm liking Kyrgios more and more. At some points during that match I didn't know who to root for, particularly as I felt as if they were a bit too against him

Shivashish Sarkar

Major Winner
Reactions
Fedal no. 37. I can't believe we will have seen already 3 Fedal matches this year. Tennis Gods are great for having given us so many Fedals when we thought Roger was nearly over.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
shivashish said:
Fedal no. 37. I can't believe we will have seen already 3 Fedal matches this year. Tennis Gods are great for having given us so many Fedals when we thought Roger was nearly over.

Now if the tennis Gods :angel:can grant us #15,#16#17 and impeachment of Trump:devil & his cooperatives:devil

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I think the reason was Nick was changing his racquet at the wrong time. He was already taking a long time between points during the match.

I have to say I'm liking Kyrgios more and more. At some points during that match I didn't know who to root for, particularly as I felt as if they were a bit too against him

I like Kyrgios overall. Yeah, he can be petulant and a brat but I've seen other sides to him where he spends time with kids and is a friendly engaging character. The other thing is that he says what he thinks... it's not to everyone's liking a lot of the time but he's not a press-robot... he's good value.

It seems he regrets some things he does with hindsight and is able to eat humble pie from time to time - such as his Shanghai debacle last year. Kyrgios is genuine whether you like him or not.

The crowd were rough with him today and overall he handled it. A lot's been said of his mental strength... but just saying he's weak upstairs isn't really looking at the full package.

He's weak in the context that if he doesn't want to be there, then he's not going to be there.... he's tanked a few badly, and he doesn't take what he perceives as injustices well (i.e. bad calls, issues with authorities) and can't reset easily but he's strong on the mental side where he thinks he can beat anyone and plays pretty well in the clutch. He's also aggressive and goes after it, even on the biggest of points.

@mrzz won't like it but I'm not seeing what he does. Kyrgios has a nice feel and good hands, easy power, improvises well and has good movement. Make no bones about it, Federer played very well today and Nick took him to the brink.

Reactions: Moxie and Federberg

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
I like Kyrgios overall. Yeah, he can be petulant and a brat but I've seen other sides to him where he spends time with kids and is a friendly engaging character. The other thing is that he says what he thinks... it's not to everyone's liking a lot of the time but he's not a press-robot... he's good value.

It seems he regrets some things he does with hindsight and is able to eat humble pie from time to time - such as his Shanghai debacle last year. Kyrgios is genuine whether you like him or not.

The crowd were rough with him today and overall he handled it. A lot's been said of his mental strength... but just saying he's weak upstairs isn't really looking at the full package.

He's weak in the context that if he doesn't want to be there, then he's not going to be there.... he's tanked a few badly, and he doesn't take what he perceives as injustices well (i.e. bad calls, issues with authorities) and can't reset easily but he's strong on the mental side where he thinks he can beat anyone and plays pretty well in the clutch. He's also aggressive and goes after it, even on the biggest of points.

@mrzz won't like it but I'm not seeing what he does. Kyrgios has a nice feel and good hands, easy power, improvises well and has good movement. Make no bones about it, Federer played very well today and Nick took him to the brink.

Agreed, and also he showed good sportsmanship on a point in the match apparently

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
kskate2 said:
the AntiPusher said:
KOD doomed Nick... He will pick....on Sunday

He'll pick Federer because it's on HC and he's won 2 matches already this year.

if I know Steve he will pick Rafa cause he will feel Rafa is due for a win vs Fed..all the boards members on his board are begging him to pick Rafa so Fed can win..it's seems odd but its true.

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Nick must have a chemical imbalance....his mood is just up and down...he is scary

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
One, Kyrgios is exciting because there's not a lot of talent among players in their early to mid-20s.

With this I agree completely -- and you chose the word "exciting" -- and I won´t fight the facts. His last two matches fitted this description perfectly.

As for Kyrgios himself, what I see is a very talented player with some mental issues.

That´s the part I completely disagree. As I said other times (sorry if I am being repetitive), in my opinion people confuse talent for an unorthodox style of play. Of course I won´t say he has no talent -- he is top 20, to being with. I really don´t see him more talented than the rest of the top 20 -- we can discuss this aspect by aspect elsewhere. And, for the mental issues, now we have seen two matches in a row were he stood toe to toe, point for point, and gave almost nothing for free. He has his act -- but in practical tennis terms he has the opposite of mental issues.

I could see him winning Wimbledon or the US Open, although probably not RG.

I agree, but mainly because of his serve. No wonder you let RG out.

among players younger than Nick, who has similar talent?

Again, we have a different conception of talent. One thing Kyrgios is far ahead most of the others is his ability to transform his actual talent into results.

So yeah, that's the excitement about Kyrgios. Ignoring all of the above, he is simply a very explosive player who is capable of beating anyone on a good day. That's reason enough to keep notice.

I agree with that -- you cannot don´t keep notice of him. But I see him, technically speaking, as quite one-dimensional. He surely does not seem one-dimensional given how he approach the matches, and the trick shots he likes to do. But tactically speaking he has basic no options -- at least no effective options. For example, yesterday he tried to rush the serve, SABR like. He lost all the points in embarrassing fashion. But merit to him to have tried.