Miami Open, Florida, USA, ATP Masters 2017

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
And as far as the crowd goes, it's like that in Miami all the time. Way back when Venus was playing Capriati before they had Hawkeye and they were so loud during and between the points that Capriati was asking the chair constantly about the noise because she couldn't hear the lines people. A couple of years ago Serena was playing Simona and the Romanians in the crowd were absolutely out of control. The chair could not control them, just like tonight. All these matches went deep into a 3rd set.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
kskate2 said:
the AntiPusher said:
kskate2 said:
If you think Fed is giving Nicky another chance to serve you're not thinking straight.

Nick gave Fed a call that was out.. Nick played showed better sportsmanship from Krygios

Fed can say that he wanted to replay the point, but ultimately it's up to the chair. They hardly ever replay a point because of crowd interference. They'll only play a let if something blows on the court. Leyhani didn't really have control of the crowd. He had 3 sets and never really got the match under control even from the first set.
no.. the umpire cant make Roger replay the call...Roger has to man up to over rule that just like Nick did or not.. Nick would have ,,It is want it is,,

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
Never mind, I won´t play the role of the guy seeing only the negative side of a player. I still think people overrate Kyrgios, but ok. He is good enough to be where he is.

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
Insane finish, really sucks thst a fan had a role in it and it clearly got to Nick. I'd say that's the match of the year, even better than Nadal-Dimitrov. As far as best of 3 set matches go it's the best I've seen aside from Nadal-Djoker in 2009 Madrid semi

The same happened to Federer on the second set tie-break, and he also lost the point.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
The notion that chair umpire can control the crowd is absurd. There is no way an umpire can restrain some jerk from shouting.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
the AntiPusher said:
kskate2 said:
the AntiPusher said:
Nick gave Fed a call that was out.. Nick played showed better sportsmanship from Krygios

Fed can say that he wanted to replay the point, but ultimately it's up to the chair. They hardly ever replay a point because of crowd interference. They'll only play a let if something blows on the court. Leyhani didn't really have control of the crowd. He had 3 sets and never really got the match under control even from the first set.
no.. the umpire cant make Roger replay the call...Roger has to man up to over rule that just like Nick did or not.. Nick would have ,,It is want it is,,
Sure the umpire can make that call, they just don't do it.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
kskate2 said:
And as far as the crowd goes, it's like that in Miami all the time. Way back when Venus was playing Capriati before they had Hawkeye and they were so loud during and between the points that Capriati was asking the chair constantly about the noise because she couldn't hear the lines people. A couple of years ago Serena was playing Simona and the Romanians in the crowd were absolutely out of control. The chair could not control them, just like tonight. All these matches went deep into a 3rd set.

fiero is correct,, there are some absolute animals there in Miami.. most drunk...The chair did his best but Roger should have cut the Kid a solid.. That's ok... its a FEDAL... you all wanted Nadal ,,my dawg will be there and ready,,, I would expect to hear from DarthFed,, who knows Kieran may return .. t

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
The same happened to Federer on the second set tie-break, and he also lost the point.

I didn't see that happen in the second set, are you sure it wasn't the first set?

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
The notion that chair umpire can control the crowd is absurd. There is no way an umpire can restrain some jerk from shouting.

it's not absurd and it's been done. The chair can hold the players from playing until the crowd settles down. When the crowd realizes they won't resume play until they shut their traps, they'll shut up.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Federer +15 in differential. Nick is +4 in differential.

Anytime, we have two positive differential, it is a good match.

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Kyrgios besides his good serve has still to learn more but I think he has played a good tournament though the experience has won

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Never mind, I won´t play the role of the guy seeing only the negative side of a player. I still think people overrate Kyrgios, but ok. He is good enough to be where he is.

Nah man, that guy has mad talent and such a huge game. I think the way Fed played, at least in the last 2 sets, he'd have kicked the crap out of anyone else on tour at the moment including his opponent Sunday. Even with the extra day it's going to be a tough ask on Sunday after a ton of tennis the last 2 days.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
kskate2 said:
GameSetAndMath said:

it's not absurd and it's been done. The chair can hold the players from playing until the crowd settles down. When the crowd realizes they won't resume play until they shut their traps, they'll shut up.

I agree. What I meant was that it is not preventable, if someone is determined to. They might throw out the offender, but it can only be after the fact.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
I don't think anyone is saying it wasn't a good match. It was of the highest quality. But Dude is right. Ultimately it's up to Nick to focus and play through whatever adversary he may face (even an unruly crowd). I have no doubt, this will burn a fire in him. Maybe he needed this loss to learn how to deal with these kind of tight matches.

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Insane finish, really sucks thst a fan had a role in it and it clearly got to Nick. I'd say that's the match of the year, even better than Nadal-Dimitrov. As far as best of 3 set matches go it's the best I've seen aside from Nadal-Djoker in 2009 Madrid semi
I disagree, Nadal-Dimitrov was better match overall

Reactions: mrzz

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
Federer +15 in differential. Nick is +4 in differential.

Anytime, we have two positive differential, it is a good match.

Take out the aces and the easy second balls he gets from his serves and Kyrgios is left with barely a handful of winners. Lot of UFE´s on important points. The match was tense but far from great. People see what they want to see.

Busted

Major Winner
Reactions
1972Murat said:
I had the feeling the whole time that Roger was thinking " Nadal may bend me over right on the service line on Sunday but I am not losing to THIS punk today"

:laydownlaughing I had to leave midway through the 3rd set and just saw the score. Glad Roger won, but the 2 1/2 sets I saw all I could think was the Kyrgios should be glad he's playing 2017 Federer and not 2006 Federer who rarely made 20 UEs in a 3-set match - let alone 44. 2006 Federer would have had schooled him and set him out on the curb with Roddick, Hewitt and Safin. Just imagine if 2017 Roger could cut down his UEs and still manage to be as aggressive as he's been all this year :cry

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
kskate2 said:
GameSetAndMath said:

I agree. What I meant was that it is not preventable, if someone is determined to. They might throw out the offender, but it can only be after the fact.
And my point is, it was loud like that from the beginning. In the first set you have to lay down the law. Because he didn't do that, they thought it was cool to shout out whenever they wanted and so they did.

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Nah man, that guy has mad talent and such a huge game. I think the way Fed played, at least in the last 2 sets, he'd have kicked the crap out of anyone else on tour at the moment including his opponent Sunday. Even with the extra day it's going to be a tough ask on Sunday after a ton of tennis the last 2 days.
Leave his opponent Sunday alone......

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Busted said:
1972Murat said:
I had the feeling the whole time that Roger was thinking " Nadal may bend me over right on the service line on Sunday but I am not losing to THIS punk today"

:laydownlaughing I had to leave midway through the 3rd set and just saw the score. Glad Roger won, but the 2 1/2 sets I saw all I could think was the Kyrgios should be glad he's playing 2017 Federer and not 2006 Federer who rarely made 20 UEs in a 3-set match - let alone 44. 2006 Federer would have had schooled him and set him out on the curb with Roddick, Hewitt and Safin. Just imagine if 2017 Roger could cut down his UEs and still manage to be as aggressive as he's been all this year :cry
Then he wouldn't be 35 years old. No way to magically roll that clock back is it? :D