Mercedes Cup, Stuttgart, Germany, ATP 250, 2019

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I feel I could be happy for either, too, though I haven't seen as much of Berrettini. I was surprised by his grass success here. (I didn't want to jump to the usual conclusions about Italian/Spanish, etc. players and clay, so I looked him up and he has vastly better results to date on clay than anything else, so this is a big step for him.) He only just turned 23 in April, so this may be his breakout year.
Yup, right on. Matteo came up in the last two years with good results exclusively on clay. 2 titles and one final all on clay.
However, after him upsetting Kyrgios, I looked up and watched all his matches in Stuttgart this week.
He seems to play well on grass too. The fact that he broke all his opponents and won the matches without getting to TB means he had a good return game, essential on grass, as much as the good serve.
He has got them both.
And you will see in the highlights slicing and volleying as well.
Pretty much the whole arsenal.
Matteo still lacks good results in slams. Never been past R2. If he plays like this week at Wimbledon, that will change.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Having trouble posting on the Halle thread, but I was wondering if he'll skip it, since he's in the final here.

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Having trouble posting on the Halle thread, but I was wondering if he'll skip it, since he's in the final here.
And Felix entered Queens. Talk about overpaying... I hope has learned after what happened in Lyon and pulls out.

Reactions: Fiero425

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
And Felix entered Queens. Talk about overpaying... I hope has learned after what happened in Lyon and pulls out.
Agreed. They may not have expected to be in this finals, but if they have ambitions for Wimbledon, they should both consider bailing.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions

Won't be a problem this time for Felix. After all he sat out RG and there is a week after Queens and before Wimby and he does not have to travel after getting there.

Reactions: Fiero425

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Won't be a problem this time for Felix. After all he sat out RG and there is a week after Queens and before Wimby and he does not have to travel after getting there.
I hope you are right. However, the grass is slippery the first few days and a wrong move could end up your quest. I think a week preparation is plenty, if you got 5 matches under your belt.

Reactions: Fiero425 and Moxie

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I hope you are right. However, the grass is slippery the first few days and a wrong move could end up your quest. I think a week preparation is plenty, if you got 5 matches under your belt.
Agreed. If I were FAA, I'd take the mulligan.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Heck of a TB here. FAA had actually won the 2nd but a disputed call and the point had to be replayed. 9-9 now.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Berrettini wins it. He has a great looking grass game. Felix has to be disappointed not to be still playing. But he held tough, even after the disappointment. He's got great calm. And a big, reliable serve, too. Fun match.

Reactions: herios and tented

tented

Administrator
Reactions
Berrettini wins it. He has a great looking grass game. Felix has to be disappointed not to be still playing. But he held tough, even after the disappointment. He's got great calm. And a big, reliable serve, too. Fun match.

He heroically saved a couple of championship points, he had several set points — disappointed, indeed.

@kskate2 will be happy, I bet.

Reactions: kskate2 and Moxie

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Have not seen the match, but based on what I have seen on the highlights on YouTube through all week, I was expecting this outcome.
Matteo defeated easily all his opponents into the final. Felix was his toughest test, the only opponent who managed to take him to a TB.
I am congratulating both of them. It is just a matter of time until Felix will come out victorious as well.

Reactions: Moxie and Fiero425

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Right again. I'm very happy. :cheerleader:
I was out this morning, but waiting for TC to replay it

This is a jackpot week for you. Two pin-up dolls simultaneously winning in the same week. It is almost like an orgy.