Mercedes Cup, Stuttgart Open 2018, ATP 250

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
stuttgart-open-1024x569.jpg

Credit: Mercedes Cup

Known locally as the “Cradle of the automobile”, Stuttgart is home to Daimler, Porsche, primary sponsor Mercedes-Benz and of course, the Stuttgart Open – an ATP 250 event to herald the beginning of the grass court season.

The tournament made the switch from clay to grass from 2015, primarily as a move to extend the grass court season. The first edition of the tournament in Stuttgart was held in 1898, with Mercedes-Benz assuming the role of title sponsor in 1979.

An added incentive for ATP World Tour players to win the tournament? The champion takes home a new Mercedes-Benz.

The city is the capital of the German state of Baden-Württemberg and ranks as the country’s sixth largest.

66d065fa-d81d-4e0b-a094-2decb4ee2634.jpg

The winner of the Stuttgart Open won’t be getting a bus home. Mercedes Benz will be giving the winner a new car. Pictured is Lucas Pouille, the 2017 winner with a nice little sporting tourer – a Mercedes-Benz E 400.

Who’s playing?

Roger Federer is the name in highlights. The Swiss makes his return to the pro tour after skipping the clay season for the second year running.

Federer will be joined by 2017 winner Lucas Pouille, Nick Kyrgios, and Milos Raonic as the big contenders. Exciting youngster Denis Shapovalov and veterans Philip Kohlschreiber, Tomas Berdych and Mischa Zverev add to a strong field.

roger_federer.jpg
lucas_pouille.jpg
nick_kyrgios.jpg
milos_raonics.jpg
philip_kohlschreiber.jpg
denis_shapovalov.jpg

Fact Flash

Grass court king Roger Federer hasn’t enjoyed too much success in Stuttgart since it’s return to the grass court format. He lost in the 2016 semi-final against Dominic Thiem and was a first-round casualty last year against veteran Tommy Haas.

Last edited:

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Monday Results:

Mischa Zverev (GER) beat Mikhail Youzhny (RUS) 7-6(5) 6-3
Guido Pella (ARG) beat John Millman (AUS) 6-2 6-2
Florian Mayer (GER) beat Yannick Maden (GER) 6-4 6-1
Rudolf Molleker (GER) beat Jan-Lennard Struff (GER) 6-4 6-7(5) 6-3

Federer will open his campaign against Mischa Zverev.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Kohly, who usually does well in German tourneys, lost in the first round itself; Sent home by mama's boy Istomin.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
His mom was his coach even after he became a pro. Not sure whether she is still his coach, but quite possible.
OK, you guys can be rough. Always emasculating a player, if you can. Whatever.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
OK, you guys can be rough. Always emasculating a player, if you can. Whatever.

No, you are reading way too much into it. I did not use it in a positive or negative way. I was just stating it as a matter of fact. Since, not many players have their mom as their coach (Andy had his mom as his coach, but only at the very beginning), I always remember Istomin as "Momma's Boy". First of all, it takes a lot of courage to do that especially as he knows it is rare. That itself needs to be appreciated.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
No, you are reading way too much into it. I did not use it in a positive or negative way. I was just stating it as a matter of fact. Since, not many players have their mom as their coach (Andy had his mom as his coach, but only at the very beginning), I always remember Istomin as "Momma's Boy". First of all, it takes a lot of courage to do that especially as he knows it is rare. That itself needs to be appreciated.
Are you seriously trying to defend calling someone a Momma's boy as just a statement of fact?

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Are you seriously trying to defend calling someone a Momma's boy as just a statement of fact?

No mood to argue with you. No, I did not use it in the trivial fact sense (in which all boys are momma's boys).

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Tuesday Results:

Gilles Simon (FRA) beat Matteo Viola (ITA) 6-0 6-3
Marton Fucsovics (HUN) beat Denis Kudla (USA) 6-3 6-4
Denis Istomin (UZB) beat 5-Philipp Kohlschreiber 7-6(2) 7-6(3)

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Denis Shapovalov lost his opener.