Mercedes Cup, Stuttgart, Germany, ATP 250, 2019

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Some folks get a certain nostalgia for Dreddy this time of year. ;)

I know you think we love them because he took out Ralph at Wimbledon. While it is a good thing and a bonus point, one does not love players just because they took out Ralph. I don't particularly care for Darcis or Rosol. They too took out Ralph at Wimbledon.

True tennis fans would love to see Dreddy play, despite the fact that he never got into top 50 and never won a title in ATP tour.
He plays an interesting and different kind of game, that is like a breath of fresh air in comparison to Nadalovic going on for six hours and
engaging in a mindless rally of 248973 shots.

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
I know you think we love them because he took out Ralph at Wimbledon. While it is a good thing and a bonus point, one does not love players just because they took out Ralph. I don't particularly care for Darcis or Rosol. They too took out Ralph at Wimbledon.

True tennis fans would love to see Dreddy play, despite the fact that he never got into top 50 and never won a title in ATP tour.
He plays an interesting and different kind of game, that is like a breath of fresh air in comparison to Nadalovic going on for six hours and

Back in the day, we had many players with that game; "slash & dash!" That's the reason Dreddy loses; too out of control! He's not thinking and if he wins, it's usually happenstance! If the shots "fall in" he wins; if flying into the stands he loses! You're listening to one of them everyday in Paul Annacone! He was one with a huge serve and when sneaking into the net, took the baseline with him; meaning few balls if any actually hit the ground on his side of the court! I can still remember him getting into a final against McEnroe! He shook John and even with his unorthodox play, he made him work for it; JM finally winning 7-5, 7-6! :whistle: :p :rolleyes: :ptennis:

Last edited:
Reactions: don_fabio

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

I think we all love Dreddy, even though he only makes cameo appearances at certain points of the year. But let's face it: you wouldn't even know his name if he hadn't upset Nadal on grass. He does have a very fun and tricky grass game. But you are sort of following him and his grass chances like a stalker. When you build your Wimbledon draw of death for Nadal, you really want Dreddy to be his first round. Am I wrong?

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Glad to see my boy Felix get through. I love watching that kid play - he's got such a complete game.
That was a tight match. Felix was under the gun, but he stayed tough. I was impressed by him today.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
I think we all love Dreddy, even though he only makes cameo appearances at certain points of the year. But let's face it: you wouldn't even know his name if he hadn't upset Nadal on grass. He does have a very fun and tricky grass game. But you are sort of following him and his grass chances like a stalker. When you build your Wimbledon draw of death for Nadal, you really want Dreddy to be his first round. Am I wrong?

You assume things about other people because you see everything using your Ralph-tinted glasses.

Actually, I knew Dreddy and his game well before he beat Ralph. I think the first time I got enticed by his game was he beat Hewitt at Wimbledon. I have to check the year. It must have been few years before he beat Ralph.

p.s. Ya, sure. It would be nice to see Dreddy in Ralph's path again. It is even better if it is R1, not so much because I want Ralph to exit early but as Dreddy may not keep his appointment if he can only meet Ralph in say 4th Round.

Reactions: Fiero425

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
You assume things about other people because you see everything using your Ralph-tinted glasses.

Actually, I knew Dreddy and his game well before he beat Ralph. I think the first time I got enticed by his game was he beat Hewitt at Wimbledon. I have to check the year. It must have been few years before he beat Ralph.

p.s. Ya, sure. It would be nice to see Dreddy in Ralph's path again. It is even better if it is R1, not so much because I want Ralph to exit early but as Dreddy may not keep his appointment if he can only meet Ralph in say 4th Round.
Dustin Brown is an appealing player, even if he can't find his way to a regular place in the top 100. I'm sure you like him for his game. But there are plenty of low-ranked grass-centric aggressive guys like Mischa Zverev, or elegant ones like Feliciano Lopez, or tricksters like Gael Monfils that you could champion who are in his vein, but better. Instead, you chose Dustin Brown. Even to the point of starting a whole thread about him. You say it's not because he's beaten Nadal twice on grass. Ok. But you're also wondering about where his WC's are coming. That's a lot of interest in a guy ranked 170. Let's face it: I like Brown, as most of us do. He's fun to watch. When he shows up. Your interest is about if he can possibly make it into the the W main draw and be drawn to Rafa. Be careful what you wish for.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Dustin Brown is an appealing player, even if he can't find his way to a regular place in the top 100. I'm sure you like him for his game. But there are plenty of low-ranked grass-centric aggressive guys like Mischa Zverev, or elegant ones like Feliciano Lopez, or tricksters like Gael Monfils that you could champion who are in his vein, but better. Instead, you chose Dustin Brown. Even to the point of starting a whole thread about him. You say it's not because he's beaten Nadal twice on grass. Ok. But you're also wondering about where his WC's are coming. That's a lot of interest in a guy ranked 170. Let's face it: I like Brown, as most of us do. He's fun to watch. When he shows up. Your interest is about if he can possibly make it into the the W main draw and be drawn to Rafa. Be careful what you wish for.

Even if Dreddy is nowhere near Ralph in the draw, I will watch each and every one of his matches if he makes it to Wimbledon. You are completely outrageous. You cannot think of tennis without bringing Ralph in to the picture at all.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Even if Dreddy is nowhere near Ralph in the draw, I will watch each and every one of his matches if he makes it to Wimbledon. You are completely outrageous. You cannot think of tennis without bringing Ralph in to the picture at all.
Sorry to overreach. I thought you would have called out Dreddy before now, if you were that interested. Whatever. Obviously he's one to watch to see if he gets through qualies. But even you managed to say, on your DB thread, that you liked him, and it wasn't just because he beat Ralph. So I didn't start that...you did. Don't blame that on me...you brought it up first.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Sorry to overreach. I thought you would have called out Dreddy before now, if you were that interested. Whatever. Obviously he's one to watch to see if he gets through qualies. But even you managed to say, on your DB thread, that you liked him, and it wasn't just because he beat Ralph. So I didn't start that...you did. Don't blame that on me...you brought it up first.

I knew you would say so and so I said preemptively. Only thing it did not work.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions

Next time, I will make sure that before I like a player it is approved by you. :rolleyes:

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Milos withdraws citing a back injury. FAA gets a walkover to the final where he will face pinup doll.

Reactions: herios

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Third final for FAA this year. Not bad for an 18-year old.

# of ATP finals before 19th birthday:
Federer: 1 (loss to Marc Rosset at Marseilles at 18y, 6mo). His first win was his third final: Milan (defeat Julian Boutter) a year later at 19y, 6mo.

Nadal: 8, including two Masters. Of course his 9th final was his first Slam win, two days after turning 19. It is worth noting that Rafa's big surge started in February of 2005, when he was 18y, 8mo - just two months younger than FAA. Before that he had been in two finals, including one title.

Djokovic: 0. His first final was in July of 2006, when he was 19y, 2mo. He beat Nicolas Massu at the Dutch Open.

The point being, FAA is still quite young. He has already been in more ATP finals than Roger or Novak at the same age, and even if he loses to Berrettini (who is a bit under the radar, but has been one of the best Next Genners this year) he has a good chance of winning his first before the age Roger or Novak did.

Reactions: Fiero425 and Moxie

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I am glad FAA is in the finals but sorry about Milos. I guess it is a good thing that it is his back and not the injured knee. It is always something though...
I was bummed to see that Milos has withdrawn. I was very much looking forward to the Canadian showdown between him and Felix.
I just hope he can recover and be ready for Wimbledon.

Reactions: Fiero425

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I was bummed to see that Milos has withdrawn. I was very much looking forward to the Canadian showdown between him and Felix.
I just hope he can recover and be ready for Wimbledon.
I'm sorry for Raonic, even if I'm not a fan of his tennis. He's had so many injury issues, and this is a good part of the season for him.

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I'm sorry for Raonic, even if I'm not a fan of his tennis. He's had so many injury issues, and this is a good part of the season for him.
His game is the best suited to this surface. And in the highlights I saw this week he looked pretty good.
Anyway, regarding the upcoming final, for me is still a win win proposition.
Felix is getting better and better with each month and at the same time I became a fan of Matteo this spring.
Both of them have a good upside and a title on grass would do wonders for each of them.

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
His game is the best suited to this surface. And in the highlights I saw this week he looked pretty good.
Felix is getting better and better with each month and at the same time I became a fan of Matteo this spring.
Both of them have a good upside and a title on grass would do wonders for each of them.

He's doing what I hoped Denis Shap. would've done! Both overplaying, but FAA's had the better results & H2H he's beaten his countryman!

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I feel I could be happy for either, too, though I haven't seen as much of Berrettini. I was surprised by his grass success here. (I didn't want to jump to the usual conclusions about Italian/Spanish, etc. players and clay, so I looked him up and he has vastly better results to date on clay than anything else, so this is a big step for him.) He only just turned 23 in April, so this may be his breakout year.