Mercedes Cup, Stuttgart, Germany, ATP 250, 2019

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Berrettini is in good form. He took out today second seed Khachanov.

Reactions: kskate2

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Berrettini is in good form. He took out today second seed Khachanov.
Impressive win in 2 easy sets. Monfils also downed by Kudla, but at least they battled in close 3 sets. Zverev now struggling against Dreddy.

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
This event looked loaded, when it started. Not anymore. The top 5 deeds all gone.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I like his unpredictable game.
He's entertaining to watch, unless he's playing your fave, ;) but he makes fun shots...then sprays them wild, too.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
DB is like one of those animals that get aroused for like 2-3 weeks of the year, ready to make life miserable for the unsuspecting...

He is ranked 153 or so. They don't give him wildcard at Wimbledon anymore (as he takes out top players early which is against the interests of the tournament). He needs to qualify to make it into MD. Last year, he failed in the second round of qualifiers, IIRC. There is no guarantee that he will make it into MD of Wimbledon this year. Even in Stuttgart, he needed to qualify to get in.

I often wonder as to why someone like Dennis Brown, who possesses all kinds of trick shots, cannot even make himself a permanent fixture in top 100. Hey, I am not asking for top 10, top 20 or even top 50. Should not top 100 be something doable for him (not talking getting in there once, but being there in top 100 as a fixture for a considerable length of time). I really don't understand why he cannot do that.

Apparently, Dustin has not played a tour level match this year before Stuttgart; Go figure. Is he not able to get in or is he trying to avoid travel and hotel costs. I have no idea.

Last edited:

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
He is ranked 153 or so. They don't give him wildcard at Wimbledon anymore (as he takes out top players early which is against the interests of the tournament). He needs to qualify to make it into MD. Last year, he failed in the second round of qualifiers, IIRC. There is no guarantee that he will make it into MD of Wimbledon this year. Even in Stuttgart, he needed to qualify to get in.

I often wonder as to why someone like Dennis Brown, who possesses all kinds of trick shots, cannot even make himself a permanent fixture in top 100. Hey, I am not asking for top 10, top 20 or even top 50. Should not top 100 be something doable for him (not talking getting in there once, but being there in top 100 as a fixture for a considerable length of time). I really don't understand why he cannot do that.

Apparently, Dustin has not played a tour level match this year before Stuttgart; Go figure. Is he not able to get in or is he trying to avoid travel and hotel costs. I have no idea.
I don't think Wimbledon would deny him a WC because he's a danger to "top players." (Read: Nadal, I guess.) He's 34, and as you say, ranked...I looked it up...170. He does make some noise in the grass season, but they likely have young players to give opportunities to. But I agree with you, that he's a bit of a mystery. He looks to have a game that could put him top 100 and a more regular fixture...not just cameos during 3-4 weeks of the year. He does seem to travel. Mexico, Australia, I've seen on his activity list. But does tend to stay in Europe, I'd say. Lack of commitment? Who knows.

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Berrettini gets easily into the SF by beating Kudla, 6-3, 6-3.
A few days ago, I still thought that Matteo is a good clay court player.
But after reviewing the highlights of his matches here in Stuttgart, I saw he got some good skills on grass as well.
Return of serve, slice, volley, ALLL look good.

Reactions: kskate2

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
FAA is ballin right now. Got 10 aces already in the first set against Dreddy

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Dustin wins the second TB. 1 set all.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Brown had an MP, but FAA breaks the serve. It is 5-5 now.

Brown serving and volleying on almost every point.

Reactions: Fiero425