3 D. Thiem
4 G. Simon
5 F. Lopez
6 V. Troicki
7 P. Kohlschreiber
8 L. Pouille

federer-td-stuttgart-2016-preview.jpg

The Tournament:

The MercedesCup, which made the switch from clay to grass from 2015, opens the extended grass-court swing alongside the Ricoh Open in 's-Hertogenbosch. The first edition of the tournament in Stuttgart was held in 1898, with Mercedes-Benz assuming the role of title sponsor from 1979. There's always an added incentive for ATP World Tour players to win the tournament with the champion taking home a new Mercedes-Benz.

The Players:

Roger Federer makes a long awaited return to action after injury and will be joined in Stuttgart by exciting youngster Dominic Thiem and former US Open champion Marin Cilic.

About Stuttgart

Stuttgart is the capital and largest city of the state of Baden-Wurttemberg in southwest Germany. The sixth largest city in Germany, Stuttgart has a population of 600,068 (October 2014) while the greater Stuttgart Metropolitan region has a population of 5.3 million (2008), being the fourth-biggest in Germany. The city lies at the centre of a densely populated area, surrounded by a ring of smaller towns. This area called Stuttgart Region has a population of 2.7 million.

Stuttgart is spread across a variety of hills (many of them vineyards), valleys and parks – unusual for a German city and often a source of surprise to visitors who primarily associate the city with its industrial reputation as the "cradle of the automobile". Stuttgart has the status Stadtkreis, a type of self-administrating urban county. It is also the seat of the State Parliament and State Government of Baden-Württemberg, the Evangelical-Lutheran Church in Wurttemberg as well as one of the two co-seats of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Rottenburg-Stuttgart. The city of Stuttgart is subdivided into a total of 23 city districts, 5 inner districts and 18 outer districts.

At the centre of Stuttgart lies its main square, Schlossplatz. As well as being the largest square in Stuttgart, it stands at the crossover point between the city's shopping area, Schlossgarten park which runs down to the river Neckar, Stuttgart's two central castles and major museums and residential areas to the south west. Königstraße, Stuttgart's most important shopping street which runs along the northwestern edge of Schlossplatz, claims to be the longest pedestrianised street in Germany. Although the city centre was heavily damaged during World War II, many historic buildings have been reconstructed and the city boasts some fine pieces of modern post-war architecture.

1500-Neues-Schloss-Stuttgart-1500x990.jpg
stuttgart-das-neue-scholss.jpg
Stuttgart-Hofen.JPG
duitsland.jpg

Tourism Guide:

Last edited by a moderator:

Billie

Nole fan
Reactions
Just reading about Roger and Tommy Haas having fun playing tennis on top of the tallest residential building in downtown Stuttgart, looks like Tommy plans on playing for a few more tournaments before calling it a career:

The 38 year old wants get healthy enough for one final comeback. “Hopefully I can play a few more events and say goodbye to my career in my own terms,” he said. “That's my goal but it's still a big question mark.”

http://www.atpworldtour.com/en/news/federer-haas-stuttgart-2016-monday

Billie

Nole fan
Reactions
Yeah, that pic BB, I couldn't copy it from ATP website for some reason. Looks as though the weather is nice in Stuttgart as well.:dance3:

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Radek Stepanek (Czech Republic) beat Denis Istomin (Uzbekistan) 7-5 3-6 6-3
Taylor Fritz (U.S.) beat Fabrice Martin (France) 3-6 7-6(6) 6-1
Florian Mayer (Germany) beat 6-Viktor Troicki (Serbia) 6-4 7-6(4)

Young Taylor Fritz is through and will meet the one and only Roger Federer.

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
del potro up set and a double break on sir grigor..

francis tiafoe is playing a grass challenger in Bristol/Surbiton/somewhere..if folk didn't know and were interested.

Reactions: Moxie

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
All these years waiting for Grigor to do something...what a waste.
Thiem will have to be my next favorite after Roger calls it a day. It is not like I have a great selection of players who have single handed backhands...

Lol. I had a few conversations about Grigor's stagnation and Thiem's backhand recently. Also a big fan of the single backhand and love watching Fed, Thiem, Gasquet, Wawrinka... just for the beauty of it. Also like Zverev and Kyrgios though among the new blood.

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
good win for del potro, very clean, 12 aces, I wasn't looking out for 2hbh, I dunno why I didn't, mind there were hardly any rallies to be fair,grass fresh n green is still slick. weather its old school grass or the 21st century slower grass seed mix.

grigor looked flatter than a hedgehog caught by surprise on the outside lane of a motorway. sad sight.

Reactions: Moxie and britbox

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Results from the Stuttgart International Men's Singles Round 1 matches on Tuesday
Jan-Lennard Struff (Germany) beat Marcos Baghdatis (Cyprus) 4-6 6-1 6-4
Sergiy Stakhovsky (Ukraine) beat Jan Choinski (Germany) 6-3 0-0 (Choinski retired)
7-Philipp Kohlschreiber (Germany) beat Pierre-Hugues Herbert (France) 6-4 6-1
Mikhail Youzhny (Russia) beat 5-Feliciano Lopez (Spain) 7-6(3) 6-3
Juan Martin Del Potro (Argentina) beat Grigor Dimitrov (Bulgaria) 6-4 6-2
John Millman (Australia) beat 8-Lucas Pouille (France) 6-7(3) 6-3 6-4
Denis Kudla (U.S.) beat Dusan Lajovic (Serbia) 6-0 6-2
Radek Stepanek (Czech Republic) beat Denis Istomin (Uzbekistan) 7-5 3-6 6-3
Taylor Fritz (U.S.) beat Fabrice Martin (France) 3-6 7-6(6) 6-1
Florian Mayer (Germany) beat 6-Viktor Troicki (Serbia) 6-4 7-6(4)