2014 NBA Draft/Free Agency

Murat Baslamisli

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
www.drummershangout.ca
Interesting fun fact: Only two NBA players playing in 2011 had a shorter wingspan than their height: J.J. Redick and Yao Ming.

Average person has the wingspan and the height the same, according to the Vitruvian Man, da Vinci's version of the ideal man proportions.

Manut Ball was 7.7, but had a wingspan of 8'6, which is still the record.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
I wanted Parker over Wiggins since I think he is a little more NBA ready. Bucks need to have a decent team at least 2 of the next few years or they might have trouble funding a new stadium and then could be moved.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Crazy that 2 straight Canucks go #1 though. They figure to have a strong Olympics team in the future.

Murat Baslamisli

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
www.drummershangout.ca
DarthFed said:
Crazy that 2 straight Canucks go #1 though. They figure to have a strong Olympics team in the future.

Future looks bright, that's for sure...as long as people buy into the concept of playing for their country. Not everyone is crazy about that, but Nash is involved and that will help a lot.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
^ Might as well. I have a feeling next Olympics might be the last where USA sends all the top guns. It is just too much basketball when most of those guys are playing 90+ games when you factor in the postseason. I wouldn't mind if they go back to sending college all stars or sending the C team like they did in 2004. Sure, they prob don't win gold but for these top players the priority should be NBA first.

Anyways, that is a different topic, doesn't seem to be major surprises tonight though I'm surprised Gordon went 4th.

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
DarthFed said:
Not going to be a good look for Lebron but part of that is due to the fallout from 4 years ago. Truthfully who can blame him? The Heat are a sinking ship which leaves him in an even worse position than he was in with the Cavs 4 years ago.

Now the big question is where does he go? I can't imagine him not having a big interest in the Clippers. They'd probably have to do a sign and trade with Griffin to make it work but if they have that option I'd definitely do it.

Can't the Clippers offload Deandre Jordan and JJ Reddick to make space for Lebron instead of trading Griffin?

Reddick would be replaced by Jamal Crawford, who should be a starter anyway, and any bum could play center with that kind of starting line-up.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
That'd be more ideal for the Clippers but I'm sure the Heat won't want to get such little value for Lebron unless there is seriously no other decent trade offer at all and there is a threat that he will just sign with another team that has the cap space (like Chicago).

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
The fact that Wade and Bosh opted out too makes me think Miami might still get Lebron. After all, Wade and Bosh opted out after meeting with Lebron last week. If Lebron truly is going back to the Heat they'd be looking to take pay cuts so that they can go after a big free agent. I'm really surprised Lebron would want to stay in Miami. Methinks Wade is a good salesman :)

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Not sure what to think about the Bucks possibly getting Jason Kidd as head coach. If Kidd hadn't just tried to hardball the Nets upper management then I'd say absolutely but what's to stop him from coming here and doing the same thing after a year or two? It would be interesting though, and the price is pretty cheap (2nd round pick). The last coach the Bucks had that I liked was Scott Skiles, a decent point guard in the 80's and 90's. Skiles is a known azzhole though so it only takes so long before he alienates his players. Kidd might end up being a great coach in this league but I have a tough time seeing him as the staying around type as well.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
I wouldn't give up my 2nd round pick for Jason Kidd who doesn't have any real chops as an NBA coach after one year in the league. There are other choices. What about Mark Jackson?

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
It is a done deal now. KS, it's true that Kidd is still pretty unproven but most 2nd round picks are worthless. I'd say most barely play at all in the NBA, instead they are D-leaguers or play overseas. Obviously there are some exceptions but it is not a heavy price to pay for what they think will be a good coach for a young team hoping to develop in the next 3-4 years.

My problem with Kidd; a. he is a total azzhole and always was and b. is he going to jump ship after a couple years if the Bucks don't let him take over basketball operations similar to what he just did with the Nets? There is a history in team sports that says being coach and GM is too much responsibility and it usually does not work. It would be easier in the NBA vs. the NFL but I still would prefer a segregation of duties there.

Murat Baslamisli

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
www.drummershangout.ca
DarthFed said:
It is a done deal now. KS, it's true that Kidd is still pretty unproven but most 2nd round picks are worthless. I'd say most barely play at all in the NBA, instead they are D-leaguers or play overseas. Obviously there are some exceptions but it is not a heavy price to pay for what they think will be a good coach for a young team hoping to develop in the next 3-4 years.

My problem with Kidd; a. he is a total azzhole and always was and b. is he going to jump ship after a couple years if the Bucks don't let him take over basketball operations similar to what he just did with the Nets? There is a history in team sports that says being coach and GM is too much responsibility and it usually does not work. It would be easier in the NBA vs. the NFL but I still would prefer a segregation of duties there.

:approved:

The way he tanked his team towards the end of the season last year to avoid a certain team, the way he asked a player to bump into him and spill his drink to get a time out when he had none...all that stuff in his first year as a coach. I have zero respect for him.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
I was thinking more along the lines of the way he beat the sh*t out of his wife on multiple occasions but the above could be used against him too. Either way this could be good and even if it doesn't work out I don't think they would be doing any better with Larry Drew.

calitennis127

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
1972Murat said:
Curious as to who Lakers pick at 7. Picking Smart at 6th . was I think a good one for Celtics.

...and Lakers get Julius Randle. Strong lefty.

Best player in the draft in my opinion, along with Cleanthony Early.

Murat Baslamisli

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
www.drummershangout.ca
calitennis127 said:
1972Murat said:
Curious as to who Lakers pick at 7. Picking Smart at 6th . was I think a good one for Celtics.

...and Lakers get Julius Randle. Strong lefty.

Best player in the draft in my opinion, along with Cleanthony Early.

Smart or Randle? They are both pretty solid.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
I like randle a lot too, I think he will be an above average player at the very least with potential to be a great player in the league. Very little bust potential there barring injury.