2014 NBA Playoffs

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
One of my favorite times of the year. I don't watch that much bball during the regular season which is almost 20 games too long IMO. But come playoffs I try to watch as much as possible. It's a totally different game when teams play hard all 48 minutes because their season is on the line. It is impossible for them to play with the same intensity all regular season due to there being 82 games.

The East is a total mess and seems to be a bit up for grabs at this point. It's possible the Pacers turn it around but it's also possible that they are now used to playing so bad that it will be hard to flip the switch. Miami's defense this year struggled a lot more than in the past. Interestingly D-Wade should be better in these playoffs than the last 2 seasons but Lebron has to be running on fumes and the rest of the team is not at the same level as the last couple seasons. Lebron might be 1/2 cyborg but if he is exhausted then they have no chance at winning it all this year. D-Wade is still good when healthy but he is not the D-Wade of old. If Indy turns it around and plays well I think they end up taking the East. As of now I wouldn't be surprised if the Bulls knocked them out in round 2. And if the Bulls knock them out it is probably Miami winning the East.

The West gets interesting right away though I do think it'd be a major surprise if it's not SA or OKC winning. Great first round matchup with LAC vs. Golden State. Golden State hasn't played as well as expected this year and LAC has improved this season mostly with Griffin stepping up a lot more. I will also be interested to see Memphis vs. OKC. Memphis is dangerous and experienced. If OKC continues to have some lapses like they did after the All Star break, the series could get interesting.

I still think the West is OKC's to lose. San Antonio is still awesome but OKC and the Durantula has their number. As for the NBA finals, if it's OKC - Miami it will be about 50-50, if it's SA-Miami, I expect that SA will roll them this time, and I mean 5 or at most 6 games. If it's OKC or SA vs. any other East team they are definitely winning.

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
RE: NBA Playoffs

Definitely rooting for OKC, but I think they're more flawed than people think. While they absolutely need Westbrook to be on top of his game since they can't just rely on KD's heroics, I don't think they've been able to consistently find their groove since Russell's return.

The West is really interesting. Probably the most interesting it's been in years. So many good teams. Conversely, the East is interesting for the exact opposite, especially since Miami and Indiana have been in shambles (though I suspect they'll still make it to the conference finals). If D-Wade isn't healthy enough and doesn't come up big, I think Miami will struggle. Meanwhile, the Pacers definitely need Roy Hibbert to not be as awful as he was lately. I don't know what happened to them but they seem to have forgotten how to defend lately.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions

Forgot to mention that the one good matchup out East figures to be the Raps-Nets. The Nets have the experience and played well the 2nd half of the year but Toronto has the HCA, youth and athleticism. I wouldn't be surprised if it goes 7.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions

Clips-Warriors has become really interesting since I started watching. Paul is owning them and has brought the Clips back to a tie with 2 minutes left. Hope Cali isn't watching the overrated CP3 :)

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions

Spoke a little early, Golden State pulls it off in the end. Good game though.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions

Indy is bad...really frickin bad. It's understandable to have a bad streak in the regular season and to lack energy near the end but this is the playoffs and they still have no energy

This seems to be a leadership problem and while there is enough blame to go around you have to wonder what Vogel's doing to try to turn this around. Paul George is the best player on the team but he is a young star and he has had "young NBA player" type problems this year. There is plenty of experience on the team so this is really surprising.

Murat Baslamisli

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
www.drummershangout.ca

Road teams stealing one so far. In Raptors case, it was exactly what I was afraid of: Experience playing a huge role for the Nets. I am still positive we can steal one on the road, but have to win the next home match. Like Darth said, Indy is a mess. I don't know what happened there but sometime in the last 2 months, something changed there...

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions

DarthFed said:
Spoke a little early, Golden State pulls it off in the end. Good game though.

GS is very talented and playing without there big man Boguat..can u believe their self centered owner is thinking of firing mark Jackson if the warriors don't advance far into the playoffs

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions

I expect the Raptors will start much better in game 2 and it is a must win for sure. Clips-Golden State will probably be back and forth but of course LA has to take game 2 or it is going to be tough. I just can't picture Indy losing the series to Horfordless Hawks, but at this point they just seem to be getting worse and worse.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions

Two trades that will hurt two organizations in the very near future, OKC trading James Harden and Memphis giving up Rudy Gay. You DONT give up superstars or players that give your teams the opportunity to have a "Big Three" in the post season playoff series. OKC gave up Harden to give Serge more cash when they could have ammesty K Perkins. Extremely dumbass move. Memphis give up Rudy Gay to the Raptors for what, they were going to get T Prince from the Pistons for nothing either way.

Miami is the luckiest team in NBA history. This is why they will 3 three peat.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions

I just saw what perkins did tonight, however I still stand by my statement in regards to okc

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions

Miami is one of the luckiest teams in history and the Bulls were THE luckiest team in NBA history with the Lakers and Celtics just behind them. Think you might be getting my point :)

Superstars win titles and Miami has a guy who is probably going to end up one of the top 5 if not top 3 to ever lace them up. I'd argue that the other teams are kind of fortunate because there are tons of holes on that Heat team that likely will stop them from a three peat. That and Durant is playing even better than Lebron this year though I think SA is a bigger threat to Miami and probably would have to be considered favorites if that is the matchup.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions

Memphis stole game 2 tonight. That was an unlucky first round matchup for OKC as Memphis is a 7 seed in a 3 seed's body. Gasol was out and they just struggled early this year. I still think OKC wins but this almost certainly goes 6 or 7 now.

Murat Baslamisli

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
www.drummershangout.ca

DarthFed said:
Memphis stole game 2 tonight. That was an unlucky first round matchup for OKC as Memphis is a 7 seed in a 3 seed's body. Gasol was out and they just struggled early this year. I still think OKC wins but this almost certainly goes 6 or 7 now.

OKC lost but how bout this shot? Come on....

[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yE8k3FTBOoQ[/video]

:wow:

I.Haychew

Major Winner
Reactions

GO TRAILBLAZERS!!!

That said, I think that they'll probably lose the series 4-2. Hope not, though.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions

The Bulls-Wizards is definitely the biggest surprise so far. Chicago was playing really well going into the playoffs but maybe its a case of Thib playing them too many minutes coming in. The other theory is that Chicago plays with such effort and intensity all the time that what you see in the regular season is what you get in the postseason whereas Washington and most teams in general are going to step up the intensity from the regular season and go all out for the playoffs. So the Bulls opponents improve from the regular season just due to additional effort while the Bulls remain the same and might get tired out from all the minutes Thib plays them.

Usually a team that loses the first 2 at home is completely done but I still give Chicago some hope of getting back in but it is a small one.

Murat Baslamisli

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
www.drummershangout.ca

Dallas leading by 20 in San Antonio. I did not expect this and it sure does not mean Dallas is going to run with the series. However, I don't like the idea of another Spurs-Heat final. I want OKC to make it. Bron-Durant excites me more.

I.Haychew

Major Winner
Reactions

Houston will win because the Blazers are obviously brainless...A nine point lead with six minutes to go and they're chucking threes with twenty seconds on the shot clock!

I.Haychew

Major Winner
Reactions

Two of the most stupid NBA rules (among others):

1) Stopping the clock aphter a made basket with less than a minute remaining in the halph.
2) Team scores. Other team calls time-out. Team that called time-out gets to take ball out on the sideline on their side of the court.

Also...Pleasantly surprised that the Blazers are up 2-0!