2014 FIFA World Cup Final & 3rd place

Pick winner and 3rd place

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Correspondent Kiu

Correspondent
Reactions
world-cup-tournament-bracket.jpg

Germany versus Argentina, this one is for all the marbles.

But first we have Brazil vs. Holland for 3rd place.

Pick it!

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Brazil and holland will play out an embarrassed 0-0 draw, neither of them trying too hard. Then holland will win on penalties.

Germany scored seven absolute flukes against Brazil in the semi - pure luck, that's all it was - but their luck will run out in the final.

They'll only score 2. And Messi will score one.

Argentina to win, 3-2!!!

tennisville

Major Winner
Reactions
I believe Germany will be up 2-1 when stoppage time of 5 minutes and Lionel Messi scores 2 goals to win the thing. The last being a free kick which he hits in the net and finishes the game as the referree blows the whistle after that. I actually did dream this about 1 week ago

But Germany also deserve to win, it would be a real shame though that one of Messi or Klose wont have a world cup to thier name

tennisville

Major Winner
Reactions
THe third place match will be fun . Brazil would want to redeem themselves. Hope they play for their country this time and not for neymar :D

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Yeah, all that hysteria the Brazilians suffered during every performance of their national anthem had to be draining, and parading Neymar's jersey before the semi-final, like a holy relic or the shield of a fallen hero, was ill-advised and should have been checked by the coach. They were emotionally inputting far too much before they'd even kicked a ball...

Correspondent Kiu

Correspondent
Reactions
I have Argentina as my pick and I am keeping it but the Germans are really really good, they are the better team. I just have to hope for a Messi miracle!

I am not going to dream about 5 goals being scored in the final since I don't ever remember such a thing... more like a 2-1 score is what I think it'll be, I wouldn't be surprised if it ended 1-0 just like last time.

The Brazil team I saw last will have no chance against the Dutch, they will lose by more than 2 goals.

So, basically I am saying my pick are just about down the drain.
:)

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
The last time 5 goals were scored in a World Cup final was 1986, between Argentina and Germany! West Germany still, I think, but can history repeat itself?

Unlikely, but we can dream.

In fairness, Germany are the only team in this tournament that vaguely resemble greatness, and they'd be worthy champions if they take it...

tennisville

Major Winner
Reactions
you mean 1990 which was somewhat controversial. West Germany were better but Argentina under Maradona did not give up without a fight

Germany I think are a great team, not a all time great team but to be fair very few world cup winning teams are all time great. Only Brazil in 58,70,2002 or Spain in 2010 I think classify for the latter. Most teams are great with only Italy in 2006 being a very very average team, probably the worst ever world cup winning team

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Was the final in 1990 a 1-0 for Germany? A World Cup so poor that immediately after, the back pass rule was changed?

I think Italy in 1982 had a great team, despite them knocking out the great Brazilians. And Argentina, possibly, in 1978, and certainly West Germany in 1974 were a great team.

It's possible that this German side are great, and it's certain that they're still growing. They have the potential to dominate international football the way Spain did over the previous ten years...

tennisville

Major Winner
Reactions
Kieran said:
Was the final in 1990 a 1-0 for Germany? A World Cup so poor that immediately after, the back pass rule was changed?

I think Italy in 1982 had a great team, despite them knocking out the great Brazilians. And Argentina, possibly, in 1978, and certainly West Germany in 1974 were a great team.

It's possible that this German side are great, and it's certain that they're still growing. They have the potential to dominate international football the way Spain did over the previous ten years...

Oh yeah I messed up my years. 1990 I heard was a very dull world cup with lot of time wasting by the goalkeepers. They would just stall and then pick up the ball by hand when an opponent would come in.

Italy in 1982 was a great team but my dad feels Brazil should have won that world cup. He believes Socrates to be one of the games greatest players and I think the best player never to have won a world cup. That was what he labels as beautiful football.

Germany in 74 was a all time team under Beckenbauer. Argentina in 78 should have lost that final to the Dutch. The Dutch shot hit the pole in the 92nd minute of the game. That would have sealed it for them.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
That's true about Brazil in 1982 - don't remind me, or Britbox, or anyone else who saw them. Doomed to be The Greatest Team to Never Win the World Cup. They fight for this honour with the Netherlands 1974, and Hungary, 1954.

I think the Argies in 1978, yeah, maybe not a great team, but not far off it. They were certainly a very entertaining side. The Dutch were a great side that year too, but again, lost to the hosts, which was a pity. Cruyff withdrew for political reasons, I think, and that might have made the difference to them that year...

Murat Baslamisli

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
www.drummershangout.ca
I picked Germany from the get go and I am not about to change it.

They will win the final 3-1. They will get the first goal, Argentina will tie it. Germany will score one more before the half time. Second half Argentina will attack all out and towards the end, Germany will take advantage of the free space Argentina will have to leave at the back to score one more around the 87th. minute to win it all.

Could not care less for the consolation game.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I am still sticking with Germany to win.

Maybe a scoreline 2-1

I wonder if if Di Maria will be fit to play for Argentina in the final?

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Germany are a strong team, but Messi is the greatest player at the moment. Personally, I'm going with Argentina. Question: how many players, that have been considered the greatest of their time, have not won a World Cup trophy?

Murat Baslamisli

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
www.drummershangout.ca
Moxie629 said:
Germany are a strong team, but Messi is the greatest player at the moment. Personally, I'm going with Argentina. Question: how many players, that have been considered the greatest of their time, have not won a World Cup trophy?

Since the Dutch never won a cup, anyone from there I guess...Johan Cruyff comes to mind. He was one of the greats.

The second one I can remember would be Ferenc Puskás of Hungary. He was considered by many to be the greatest player of his time.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Di Stefano, too, lately deceased. Eusebio. Zico and Socrates.

George Best.

There's a lot of greats never even played in the World Cup, and some who have but didn't win...

tennisville

Major Winner
Reactions
Kieran said:
Di Stefano, too, lately deceased. Eusebio. Zico and Socrates.

George Best.

There's a lot of greats never even played in the World Cup, and some who have but didn't win...

Platini, Sanchez,Schillaci,C Ronaldo,Puskas,Beckham also come to mind

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Beckham wasn't a great footballer. I'd hesitate to put Schillaci, Ronaldo and Sanchez among those hallowed names, too... :nono

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Another fiasco from Brazil tonight. They're like dopey children out there, all over the shop, unable to make basic passes, basic positions.

Ah now, the ref is gonna book Oscar for diving? Seriously! Referee, Arjen Robben is on the fricking pitch, please!

Brazil were getting dodgy calls from the refs early in the tournament, now even the refs have turned against them...

Correspondent Kiu

Correspondent
Reactions
Another embarrassing performance from Brazil, they weren't even close to the Dutch's league.
Lost 3-0

I am sure most in Brazil would like to forget this World Cup!