2014 FIFA World Cup

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Moxie629 said:
I guess it means nothing that Brazil and Mexico tied at nil-nil, but is it a sort of a victory for Mexico?

It most certainly is, since a draw with Croatia in their last match will be enough to see them through to the next round, unless Cameroon beats both Croatia and Brazil, which isn't happening.

shawnbm

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Just finishing up Spain's horrendous World Cup being tied up by Chile. The Spaniards scored one goal in two games and allowed seven! Casillas is obviously hurting, but the play from midfield towards the box today was saddening--slipping, dribbling poorly, overrunning the ball and everything else.

tennisville

Major Winner
Reactions
The all time great team has an horrible end , no fairytail endng for this team. I was fortunate to have seen them play great football for 6 years but all things have to come to an end sady.

Definately will go down as one of the great teams despte this world cup

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
That was a disaster. :cover :cry

(Btw, does anyone think that emoticon for "cover" looks like the World Cup trophy?)

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
It's a pity, because Spain have been one of the greatest teams in football history, but their time has come...

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Kieran said:
It's a pity, because Spain have been one of the greatest teams in football history, but their time has come...

That's what all the commentators were saying. I think this will still be one of the great squads ever, and it was really sad to see their utter demise here in Brazil. I don't quite know what went SO wrong. Was it nerves? Was it Del Bosque not realizing he needed to mix in younger players? Did they just reach their "sell-by" date? Is tiki-taka over? I suppose we're looking at the end of Casillas's career, and that's going to make me sad.

Well, just licking my wounds for now, then deciding who to come out for. NY is a really fun place to watch football, and we have some plans to go to some of the big venues and take in matches. The next US one would probably be a good time.

Iona16

Masters Champion
Reactions
Really gutted to see Spain go out. :( Boy did they miss Puyol in those 2 games. Players like Puyol, Xavi and Iniesta shouldn't be allowed to age.

I love Messi but hell would have to freeze over before I cheered on Argentina. No clue who to support now.

atttomole

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Spain is the greatest team at national level. They won three straight tournaments and no other team has done that.

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
its sad to see an empire crumble into the void..but spain went from being 1-0 up v Holland after 43mins to losing 1-5..and now this.

sh!te. and from spain it is goodnight. farewell..and mop away the flop that has made you flop the brain wrong gone.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Spain's revised world cup song:

[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7aPp-4z-uw[/video]

We're all off to sunny Spain, Y Viva Espana...

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
JesuslookslikeBorg. said:
its sad to see an empire crumble into the void..but spain went from being 1-0 up v Holland after 43mins to losing 1-5..and now this.

And!...David Silva was through on goal to make it 2-0, and nobody would have begrudged it.

How swift and pained the fall.

Gonna follow Italy from now on...

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
britbox said:
Spain's revised world cup song:

[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7aPp-4z-uw[/video]

We're all off to sunny Spain, Y Viva Espana...

eeeeeeeeeeek a blast from the past..:idea: that was one of the first songs I knew.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Engurland might catch the same plane to sunny Spain, a well-deserved siesta after all their hard work...

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
:mad::mad::mad: same old same old.

Yeah, it's a disappointing show. Gerard, Wellbeck, Henderson, none of these boys were up to it. Suarez scored two great goals, though. I think Costa Rica will get a draw tomorrow, they looked like a decent side against Uruguay, and they'll fight harder than England did tonight...

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Kieran said:
:mad::mad::mad: same old same old.

Yeah, it's a disappointing show. Gerard, Wellbeck, Henderson, none of these boys were up to it. Suarez scored two great goals, though. I think Costa Rica will get a draw tomorrow, they looked like a decent side against Uruguay, and they'll fight harder than England did tonight...

at least rooney scored..it was a tap it but he made a good strikers late run behind the defence along the left wing..and arriving late.

really the new England performance centre and the f.a's long overdue decision to ban league tables for under 10s or something (no win at all cost and ignoring technique and off the ball movement "we need a winner wack in up to the big lad up front"..etc..and bringing in much smaller junior pitches for youngsters in order to increase ball possession and precise passing instead of the cry you hear.."lump it forward" "get stuck in".

.all this will over the next 8yrs onwards at least bring through more players with a good first touch and players that are not scared to receive the ball in defence because of "oy lump it forward."

English invented organised football and leagues 1863 fa formed..fa cup 1872, league fball 1888..ands a 50million population has won 1 out of 20 world cups (inc this one, and reached another semi..and zero European championships out of 14 played and 1 sf.

football's coming 'ome. ?...don't think so.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Well, football's coming home, just not bringing any bling with it... :snigger

Iona16

Masters Champion
Reactions
I see Hodgson's comments have came back and bit him on the backside. Luis Suarez not world class. Seriously? He'll be off now to poke an angry bear with a stick.

Lineker said tiki-taka tata when Spain went out.

Never, ever gloat as inevitably it comes back and bites you.

That's why this Scot was not cheering against England. In all honesty I was hoping they'd do well.

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Iona16 said:
I see Hodgson's comments have came back and bit him on the backside. Luis Suarez not world class. Seriously? He'll be off now to poke an angry bear with a stick.

Lineker said tiki-taka tata when Spain went out.

Never, ever gloat as inevitably it comes back and bites you.

That's why this Scot was not cheering against England. In all honesty I was hoping they'd do well.

lineker likes his queasy puns :s..yes..tiki taka tataa with a world cup winners and 2 European championship winners medal at home to cherish when they get back..

hodgson is a bit weird, he gets himself bogged down in verbal jousting matches with journo's for Christ knows what reason, why he said suarez "needs to do it at a world cup" i'll never know..i was thinking to myself 'hold on a sec i'm sure suarez scored 3 goals in sf run @wc2010 ?..sounds decent enough to me'..i looked it up and yes he had..so now he scores 2 goals against us today. making roy look even sillier.

uruguay are no-good for uk national teams. a Scotland 0-0 draw with them put your lot out in mexico86 (I think ??).