2014 FIFA World Cup

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Such a shame about all the injuries. In particular, Ribery and Reus missing out is a blow for both their teams and the world cup itself.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Okay, we're all still basking in Rafa Love, but let's get serious: who wins this thing?

It's gonna be one of the Big 5, right? Brazil, Argentina, Italy, Germany or Spain. Any other countries have shot?

I'll go with Germany, I think they'll have a big tournament, and I think the hosts will crack under the strain, and Spain will fall asleep someplace, tika taka tick tock...

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
spain still have an awesome squad, going for a 4th major title in a row will be interesting.

argentina have the fab four..messi/aguero/de maria/higuain.

Correspondent Kiu

Correspondent
Reactions
We are counting down the last 48 hours...

Groups

GROUP A
Brazil
Croatia
Mexico
Cameroon

GROUP B
Spain
Netherlands
Chile
Australia

GROUP C
Colombia
Greece
Côte d'Ivoire
Japan

GROUP D
Uruguay
Costa Rica
England
Italy

GROUP E
Switzerland
Ecuador
France
Honduras

GROUP F
Argentina
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Iran
Nigeria

GROUP G
Germany
Portugal
Ghana
USA

GROUP H
Belgium
Algeria
Russia
Korea Republic

Only 2 teams advance from each group.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Well, group B looks tough. Spain with Netherlands, who were the two finalists last time, and everyone says Chile has an exciting squad. Spain has the Dutch first round. Let's see if the Dutch play clean. :mad:

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
I think with Luis van Gaal as manager, it can be taken that the Dutch will try rediscover their football principles after the horror show the last time...

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Kieran said:
Okay, we're all still basking in Rafa Love, but let's get serious: who wins this thing?

It's gonna be one of the Big 5, right? Brazil, Argentina, Italy, Germany or Spain. Any other countries have shot?

I'll go with Germany, I think they'll have a big tournament, and I think the hosts will crack under the strain, and Spain will fall asleep someplace, tika taka tick tock...

I can't see anyone outside of those five. Italy are the team I root for, but the other four are just better teams at the moment. Though I still think Italy are one of the few teams whose style troubles Spain and, despite Germany being a better team, I'd favor the Italians against them because well, they always beat them.

However, as far as winning the tournament goes, I'm no fan of this particular Brazilian team, they're really solid. We've talked about it before, this isn't your typical Brazilian team, but defensively they arguably have the best back line they've ever had. I'll pencil them as the favorites at home, closely followed by Spain. Germany and Argentina (in that order) follow.

The Germans have a phenomenal squad with ridiculous talent and play great Football. Marco Reus' injury though, is a major blow, as is their lack of strikers. Nevertheless, their army of offensive midfielders is still intimidating.

I love the Argentines, and they do have arguably the best player in the world at their disposal, in addition to Di Maria who's been sensational, but I'm not sure about their midfield/defense. Up front, they have the most fire power out of any other team, but I'm not sure about the balance.

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Kieran said:
I think with Luis van Gaal as manager, it can be taken that the Dutch will try rediscover their football principles after the horror show the last time...

Van Gaal is a great manager, but I find this current Dutch squad really underwhelming. Arjen Robben is realistically the only world class player they have other than maaaaaybe Van Persie if he rediscovers his form. Sneijder is just past his prime (though still serviceable) and they've been hit by numerous injuries. They've got a pretty tough group. The problem for them is, if they finish second behind Spain (likely), they'll play Brazil in the second round, and I can't see that turning out well for them this time around.

tennisville

Major Winner
Reactions
I am so excited for this world cup , the timings will be really bad for me but I will be watching and rooting for Argentina. I supported Spain for 12 years but want to root for the under dogs now like I did with Spain in 2002

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
JesuslookslikeBorg. said:
I want England to win obviously but we will prob fall short...again.

"Prob?" :lolz: :lolz:

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Kieran said:

you got to be in it to win it..and I don't see the rep of Ireland in the finals.
:cry :ras: :violins: :grin::laydownlaughing

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
When it goes deeper, we should get the polls going, but I'm curious for everyone's favorites, and also back-ups/next favorites etc.

I'm rooting for Spain, and I usually back Italy. I hope that the US makes a good showing, and, of course, it would be amazing if Brazil won it at home. I'll hope for Mexico to do well, and Argentina. (Interestingly, a fan called into a local radio program today, and complained that if only Argentina can find team cohesion, and stop always playing like a bunch of individuals. Funny, that's exactly their problem in Davis Cup!)

Correspondent Kiu

Correspondent
Reactions
2368484_big-lnd.jpg

Been waiting 4 years for this and now, we are down to a day!

First game:​
bra.png
BRAZIL versus CROATIA
cro.png

tennisville

Major Winner
Reactions

:laydownlaughing Haha you wont even get out of the group stage :laydownlaughing

I said I was rooting for Argentina with maybe Spain being the second favourate

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Kieran said:

you got to be in it to win it..and I don't see the rep of Ireland in the finals.

Population of four million, with Gaelic football and hurling as our national sports, we decided we'd have the greatest rugby side in the northern world this time and make the football World Cup next time... ;)

markus1

Club Member
Reactions
world cup is now just a few hours less than 2 weeks away :)

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeekk. :D lets hope they finish the stadiums in time..3 are not complete.

:celeb:

and after the stadiums are finished, let's hope that nothing collapses :D

Actually, I'm pretty exited about the event. Today Brazil plays against Croatia and Brazil sooo wins it :)
I hope to see Germany and Argentina in final!

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
tennisville said:

:laydownlaughing Haha you wont even get out of the group stage :laydownlaughing

I said I was rooting for Argentina with maybe Spain being the second favourate

well I am patriotic I want my country to win. I am looking forward to watching spain and argentina too.

what country are you in ?..clearly didn't qualify where ever you are. :laydownlaughing:lolz:

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Kieran said:
Kieran said:

Population of four million, with Gaelic football and hurling as our national sports, we decided we'd have the greatest rugby side in the northern world this time and make the football World Cup next time... ;)
no one is interested in heaving or geese football, and rugby ?..lol you haven't won that world cup either. :laydownlaughing