2014 FIFA World Cup

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
oh and the match the world was waiting for has finally been played..:cool:

...yes, ladies and gentleman *drum rolls*...Greece 0-0 Japan. clam down you lot, I know how overwhelming that information is. :devil

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Costa Rica v Italy might be a better match than we expect. CR have been the surprise team so far, and they'll go for the throat. It looks glum and gloomy for England and they don't really deserve to go through, and a CR win today, or a draw, would seal their fate...

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
JesuslookslikeBorg. said:

...yes, ladies and gentleman *drum rolls*...Greece 0-0 Japan. clam down you lot, I know how overwhelming that information is. :devil

I was thinking of flying out to Brazil for that match alone.... but tickets were going for $10,000 a piece.

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
^^ A draw for Italy will be enough against Uruguay, though they'll be foolish not to play for the win. Italy looked miserable today, and had no idea how to deal with Costa Rica's high defensive line. Props to Costa Rica, nobody would have expected him to qualify from this group, much less in first place.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Yeah, Costa Rica have been great in this tournament, a brilliant attitude and fearless in getting stuck into better teams. Uruguay versus Italy is the much anticipated match-up between the two countries who shared the first four World Cups equally between them - and have avoided each other ever since, except when they didn't.

I'll go with the draw for this one, because although Italy didn't impress today, I think their midfield will be dominant. Unless Uruguay can summon up the Spirit of 1950!

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
1972Murat said:
Messi scores a beauty in injury time. Iran defended like mad but nobody was stopping that shot.

That was a very fine goal. I felt for that Iranian goalie though, as he'd done such a good job of blocking everything until then.

atttomole

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
This is turning out to be the best world cup I have ever seen, and we are still in the group stage. Many come-from-behind wins, shock exits and high intensity. And Germany v Ghana was a thriller-may be the best match so far. I hope I can see more matches like this.

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
this is the best world cup since at least 1986.

vamos..another messi special finally broke down iran in injury time. his brilliance has got a strangely subdued argentina through to the second round. 2 goals and an assist (o.g from his free kick)

when I saw 36yr old miloslav close stroll off the bench for Germany I knew he would score, and he duly got his toe on the end of someone else's shot 2 mins later to equal Ronaldo's 15 wc goals. I think he is also the only player to score a hat trick all with headers..vs Saudi Arabia 2002 (in an 8-0 win). btw than 2-2 draw vs Ghana was full of exciting play.

according to wiki..we have had 49 hat-tricks in wc finals history...so who wants to score the landmark 50th then ?.

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
britbox said:
JesuslookslikeBorg. said:

I was thinking of flying out to Brazil for that match alone.... but tickets were going for $10,000 a piece.

yes I can just imagine the rush on tickets..:laydownlaughing rarer than those golden willy wonka chocbar tickets. :)

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Nothing worth watching today at the WC. Been a few matches like that, hasn't there. I think I've watched about 5 live matches so far. It's been a very good World Cup, though...

Iona16

Masters Champion
Reactions
I have to say I was gutted for the USA when Portugal scored. If you just held on for 20 seconds more.

atttomole

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
The Costa Ricans have been phenomenal. They knew they had to do more running to beat their technically superior opponents. I was amazed by how they continued to trap the Italians into offside positions. As Broken said, the Italians could not find a solution. I hope the Costa Ricans don't run out of steam after playing above themselves.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Iona16 said:
I have to say I was gutted for the USA when Portugal scored. If you just held on for 20 seconds more.

Me, too. It was a great goal, but just a few more seconds….

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Ronaldo switched to the right wing..no one noticed..inch perfect cross, tired defenders..classic header...BOOM.

markus1

Club Member
Reactions
1972Murat said:
Nice victory from Costa Rica sends England home and leaves Italy and Uruguay in a win or go home situation. That match is going to nice.

true, Costa Rica showed some great results to my surprise cause I was pretty much sure that Costa Rica would the first team from that group to go home.

Murat Baslamisli

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
www.drummershangout.ca
Another magical run from Robben, taking the ball from his own half, going all the way and getting the shot off but it goes slightly wide. Had it gone in, would have been an easy candidate for the goal of the tournament. The guy is deceptively fast.