2014 FIFA World Cup

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Well, Spain lost to Switzerland in the first round last time. Obviously a tough day for Iker. :cover

tennisville

Major Winner
Reactions
Moxie629 said:
Well, Spain lost to Switzerland in the first round last time. Obviously a tough day for Iker. :cover

not like this , this is a drubbing

That Robben 2nd goal was spectacular

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
atttomole said:
The game also confirms Casillas's decline. He looks done. A goalkeeper's decline is less obvious than that of an upfield player, but for Casillas the signs have been there for some time.

Yeah, it's sad to see, but I hope Spain have another goalkeeper ready.

They're starting to remind me of Barcelona, the other sides have them figured out and they took a thrashing from the more robust and game Bayern Munich in the Champions League semi last year. After David Silva blew the chance to make it 2-0 just before half-time, Holland ran them ragged. Xavi and Iniesta were anonymous, while Robben and Van Persie ran riot.

They were beaten in their first match in the last World Cup, but this was a decimation, not a defeat...

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I think Spain needed a change after Euro 2012. Nothing radical of course, but just one or two new faces in midfield to keep the squad fresh. I understand why Del Bosque would stick with all of the faces that brought him to the dance, but a lot them are past it. Xavi is hardly the world class midfielder he used to be, and Busquets and Alonso are too slow.

Obviously, it's not like he should drop all 3, but using some of the newer faces to have emerged would have been advisable. Koke had a great season for Atletico Madrid. He would be a huge addition to the starting line-up, even if it means sacrificing one of the greatest midfielders of all time in Xavi.

Pique should absolutely be dropped. Not only is he no longer world class, he's become absolutely garbage. Javi Martinez should take his place.

Del Bosque should consider playing with a deeper back-line as Holland completely destroyed Spain's offside trap, and Pique is too slow to recover, while Ramos (who was also poor last night) can't be expected to clean up after him every time.

The dutch were sensational (though they did look shaky at the back), and Robben was absolutely breathtaking. Good on Van Persie for rediscovering his form when it mattered most. That diving header was class.

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
you'd think casillas would still be in his goalie prime having just turned 33yrs. but not playing la liga and maybe unprecedented success has dulled his thinking/focus/dedication/whatever.

look at him..comes off the bench in 2002 champ lg final makes series of saves to help r Madrid win age 19/20...then is spains /Madrid no1 for over a decade has 155caps..won la liga , champn lg titles..and won 3 major titles with spain..gets too mouthy and influencial in Madrid dressing room is dropped by morinho,....and since 18months ago had not played la liga at all (?).

peter shilton England goalie didn't nail the England no1 shirt until just before espania82 aged 32 ..he had around 30ish caps upto then having made his eng debut nov1970..HE STAYED NO1 FOR NEXT 8YRS AND 3 wc finala ending up with 125caps last of which was aged 40. shilton had a small window of success with his club Nottingham forest 2 ch lg, I league title 1978-80..but not much else so maybe he wasn't sated by too much success.

2 goalies with diff career arcs.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
That was the best live match I've ever been to:) And I've been to champions league, European cups, etc. Not often in wifi areas so if I have the time I'll update. Robben was stunning. The pace and control. I was about 9 rows from pitch side, and in line with the penalty spot. Only Van Persies headed goal was scored at the far end from me. Couldn't have been more perfect! Also the result I wanted. Always liked expansive Dutch football:)

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
this world cup is fun. costa rica 3-1 Uruguay. lol.

England are being adventurous sturridge main forward..sterling off him then a 3 of rooney, zyz ?forgot, and wellbeck..(I think that's right) sounds like a bold team with a fluid modern formation to keep the Italian defenders guessing..:cool: hopefully keep em guessing anyway..:plotbuffon not in goal for Italians.

so rooney is shunted out to the left of the three who are behind sturridge with sterling just dropping off..i like it. rooneys pace has gone even tho he is only 28 we all know he don't look after himself, he drinks /smokes / eats junk food whenever he is at home.

come on England..:clap:)

:approved::celeb:

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
All done. Italy wins.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
Pirlo is like a Rolls Royce of a player. Never looks rushed! The right result but England actually looked quite fluent for once!

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
England are exciting for a change. They shouldn't be too disheartened by the results. And while they should expect a reaction from Uruguay following their shock defeat to Costa Rica, they should find comfort in the fact that Uruguay looked quite awful.

Sterling adds some much needed dynamism to this English team, who looks exciting for a change. Though Rooney needs a more central position. Ultimately, Italy had too much technical quality in midfield, especially with the ever instrumental Andrea Pirlo pulling the strings (that dummy leading to the first goal and that sensational free kick that hit the crossbar alone were worth the price of admission). And, erratic as he is, Balotelli is a legitimate world class striker.

I thought Italy handled the extreme heat and overall difficult conditions well. They pushed when they needed to, and paced themselves after scoring the second goal. Ran the match well, without having to look to impressive. That's what experience counts for.

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
majestic messi scores with an early contender for goal of the tournament. :cool:

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Germany v Portugal, now there's a game of fupple to whet the appetite! Will Ronaldo actually perform on the Big Stage? Or will he be anonymous again, apart from a few misdirected backheels?

There's a growing clamor for Hodgson to drop Rooney from Englan's next match. It's easy to see why, when you look at how he's performing, regardless of which position he's in. I'd certainly favour Sterling over Rooney in the central role.

Messi scored a great goal, eh? But so far, the Netherlands are the best team, which probably means they'll fail to get out of their group... :snigger

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Great to see Messi come to life in the second half after a poor 45 minutes. That goal was such a trademark Messi goal. I swear he must have scored like 3 dozens that looked exactly like that. Dribble, 1-2, dribble, bend it in the far corner. The balance and coordination to do so while in full flight is absolutely amazing.

And yeah, can't wait to watch Germany-Portugal today. I'm excited to see what the Germans do given their ridiculously talented squad, though Reus' injury and the lack of strikers might hurt. That Ronaldo chap ain't bad either, but it might be a tough ask for him to carry his entire team in a match like this. Let's see.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
^ Apparently it was too much for Ronaldo. And the US just won! Thrilling finish v. Ghana.

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Germany 4-0 Portugal..Thomas Mueller after 5 goals in wc2010 starts 2014 wc with hat-trick. poor Ronaldo lol, chasing after his own tits in the Brazilian sun after pepe goes mental and sent off..his 2 wc goals have been v iran, & north korea.. he needs to play more matches vs countries with oppressive backward clowns in power.

clint Dempsey jinks through. 32sec goal usa v Ghana (5th fastest wc history). former favourite of Fulham fc I fink.

shawnbm

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
The last ten minutes of Ghana v. USA was thrilling and I am happy for the result, even though I am quite fond of Ghana and its beautiful people. My parish helped build a sister parish in a remote village of Ghana a few years ago, together with a parochial school.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I guess it means nothing that Brazil and Mexico tied at nil-nil, but is it a sort of a victory for Mexico?