WTA News & Gossip 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
16 year old Mirra Andreeva ( or has Tossip refers to her as The Vulture lol ) made the biggest jump into the WTA year end Top 100 this year, rising 359 spots from the 2022 (#405) to 2023 (#46) year end rankings.Mirra got her first four Top 20 wins and made the second week of a major for the first time in 2023.
One to watch in 2024.
The Vulture is an excellent choice for a name ...that little lady is the western world version of Ostapenko with her attitude.

Reactions: MargaretMcAleer

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
25 year old Czech player Marie Bouzkova has hired Conchita Martinez ( ex coach of Garbine Muguruza) to help her crack the Top 20 in the new year

Reactions: AnonymousFan

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Some Sad News, Chris Evert posted this news via twitter and ESPN.
Chris Evert will not be with ESPN at the AO in 2024. Chris Evert's cancer is back, apparently is has been caught early, based on a PET CT scan.Chris underwent another robotic surgery.Doctors found cancer cells in pelvic region, all the cells were removed and Chris has begun another round of chemotherapy

• Sad
Reactions: kskate2 and Kieran

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Some Sad News, Chris Evert posted this news via twitter and ESPN.
Chris Evert will not be with ESPN at the AO in 2024. Chris Evert's cancer is back, apparently is has been caught early, based on a PET CT scan.Chris underwent another robotic surgery.Doctors found cancer cells in pelvic region, all the cells were removed and Chris has begun another round of chemotherapy
Yeah, just was reading that, it’s very worrying. Hopefully it goes well for her..

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Yeah, just was reading that, it’s very worrying. Hopefully it goes well for her..
I hope so, too. Ovarian cancer is a bad one. I heard her and Martina talking about, of all the things they've been through together, now they share and commiserate over cancer treatments. Their friendship is a moving story, to me.

If you've never seen the ESPN 30 for 30 documentary on them, it's worth a watch. I think you have to have ESPN to access this, but you might be able to find it otherwise, if not. It's very good.

Reactions: tented and Kieran

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
On a more positive note, Osaka is coming back in Australia in 2024. I think she has more slams in her, though it might take some time to get up to full speed in a role of a comeback mom.

Reactions: Hoergren and Moxie

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
On a more positive note, Osaka is coming back in Australia in 2024. I think she has more slams in her, though it might take some time to get up to full speed in a role of a comeback mom.
Well Osaka has got some personal problems of late, there is talk she has broken up with her partner, I will be interested to see how she copes? mentally she hasnt coped in the past, being a new mum and traveling on the tour will be a 'test in itself' for Osaka

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Well Osaka has got some personal problems of late, there is talk she has broken up with her partner, I will be interested to see how she copes? mentally she hasnt coped in the past, being a new mum and traveling on the tour will be a 'test in itself' for Osaka
So you're telling me she is coming back to play singles as a single mom? Cutting a cord with Mr. Cordae? It's tough, but I'm not losing hope on her.

Reactions: Moxie

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
So you're telling me she is coming back to play singles as a single mom? Cutting a cord with Mr. Cordae? It's tough, but I'm not losing hope on her.
They are the rumors that have been going around for some time, remember he has his own career as a rapper, even if they havent broken up, being full time on the tour and a mum traveling with a baby around the tournaments isnt easy. Osaka has her former team with her now, Wim Fisseste as her coach, I think it will take some time for Osaka to find her game though agree as a player she still can win GS titles, mainly on HC, as she hasnt done well on the grass or on the clay previously

Last edited:
Reactions: don_fabio

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
They are the rumors that have been going around for some time, remember he has his own career as a rapper, even if they havent broken up, being full time on the tour and a mum traveling with a baby around the tournaments isnt easy. Osaka has her former team with her now, Wim Fisseste as her coach, I think it will take some time for Osaka to find her game though agree as a player she still can win GS titles, mainly on HC, as she hasnt done well on the grass or on the clay previously
I think we all knew since they wasn't married that he was gonna be a glorified sperm donor at Best..I hope her situation turns out better than Vikas

Reactions: don_fabio

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Just reading thoughts from the President of the Saudi Arabia tennis federation,
" We're still in talks with the WTA.Nothing is final, nothing is set.We're trying to find what's the best way to collaborate with the WTA whether its the Finals, whether it's other tournaments.We're in great discussions and things are moving along.So we're very optimistic" she said.
"We're still hoping that next year we can have a combined New Gen event with female.So it would be male under 21 and female uner 21.I think that would be great to inspire female tennis players here"

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I think we all knew since they wasn't married that he was gonna be a glorified sperm donor at Best..I hope her situation turns out better than Vikas
There has been no official statement from Osaka that she has split though from her instagram account etc, there has been no comments from her regarding Cordae for sometime. I am hearing she isnt bringing her daughter to the AO though this could change this was the latest comment from Osaka 9th December,
"I like the responsibility of wanting to show ( daughter Shai) around the world. I feel more like I'm playing for her".

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Nick Saviano will be joining Alycia Parks in 2024. They will start working with each other this week, and will work with each other through to April, where then a concrete decision will be made. Nick has been focusing on his academy in recent years ( years ago he worked with players like Stephens and Bouchard)

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Nick Saviano will be joining Alycia Parks in 2024. They will start working with each other this week, and will work with each other through to April, where then a concrete decision will be made. Nick has been focusing on his academy in recent years ( years ago he worked with players like Stephens and Bouchard)
This is good for Alycia,and let's hope she starts playing past first rounds at big events.I guess she listened when her followers on IG started suggesting a new coach .

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Alize Cornet has received the reciprocal wild card the AO has with France.It will her 68th straight major main draw appearance

Reactions: AnonymousFan

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Iga Swiatek as been voted as the WTA Player of the Year for the second year in a row.
Tomasz Wiktoromski has been recognized as the 2023 WTA Coach of the Year, as voted by WTA registered coaches, ( Tomasz is the coach of Iga Swiatek)
Doubles Team Of the Year,
Hunter and Mertens.
Most Improved Player,
Zheng Qinwen.
Newcomer of the Year,
Mirra Andreeva
Comeback Player of the Year,
Elina Svitolina.
Karen Sportsmanship Award and Peachy Kellmeyer Player Service Award,
Ons Jabeur.
Jerry Diamond ACES Award,
Jessica Pegula