WTA News & Gossip 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhiEaglesfan712

Masters Champion
Reactions
Just reading thoughts from the President of the Saudi Arabia tennis federation,
" We're still in talks with the WTA.Nothing is final, nothing is set.We're trying to find what's the best way to collaborate with the WTA whether its the Finals, whether it's other tournaments.We're in great discussions and things are moving along.So we're very optimistic" she said.
"We're still hoping that next year we can have a combined New Gen event with female.So it would be male under 21 and female uner 21.I think that would be great to inspire female tennis players here"
Female Next Gen should be restricted to under 17 or under 18. Unlike the men's game, it's fairly common to win slams before 21 in the women's game. Just in the last 5 years, we have Bianca Andreescu, Iga, Emma Raducanu, and Coco as teenage slam winners.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Female Next Gen should be restricted to under 17 or under 18. Unlike the men's game, it's fairly common to win slams before 21 in the women's game. Just in the last 5 years, we have Bianca Andreescu, Iga, Emma Raducanu, and Coco as teenage slam winners.
Quite frankly I will be totally against having a female Next Gen in Saudi Arabia considering their attitude and treatment of women full stop.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Changes are happening at the WTA with Steve Simon stepping down as CEO but staying as Executive Chairman while the role of President is being disbanded.
Micky Lawler, who has served as President of the WTA since 2015, will leave the organization at the end of the year to 'pursue' new opportunities.
Simon has been both Chief Executive and Chairman since 2015, but the roles will be split to create 'greater focus' on the WTA's goals
So the position of CEO for the WTA is open, I recently read Martina Navratilova thinks a woman would be ideal, I thought when Stacey Allaster was in charge she did a great job.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: AnonymousFan

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
WTA Tounament Award Winners (as voted by the players)

1000 Indian Wells ( 10th straight year)
500 Charleston Open
250 Transylvania Open
125 To be announced in January

Reactions: AnonymousFan

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Sad news for Bianca Andreescu, who has announced because of her back injury she wont be back on the tour until Indian Wells or Miami. Bianca said she will need to work hard to get her ranking high enough to qualify for the Olympics. Bianca's current ranking is #96

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Mirra Andreeva plays (and loses) to male player after Marta Kostyuk refuses to play her: https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/te...1b9ad797d881a2d&ocid=winp2fptaskbarhover&ei=6

I read that news earlier, I am not surprised by Kostyuk, it was only an exhibition, in tournaments she refused to shake hands if her opponents are Russian or from Belarus., I cant see that changing anytime soon
Just read a bit more regarding Kostyuk, this is from the exhibition,
Kostyuk had agreed to play a Russian but no handshake, which they accepted
But then, word of the upcoming match spread on Ukrainian social media and Kostyuk bowed to that pressure
" No one blames her' word from the tournament

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
For the next 4 years, the Elina Svitolina Foundation will manage the Ukrainian women's national team for the Bilie Jean King Cup
Elina will be involved in strategy, development and preparation

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
This is good for Alycia,and let's hope she starts playing past first rounds at big events.I guess she listened when her followers on IG started suggesting a new coach .
Alycia has so much raw power.. this could be interesting..

Reactions: tossip

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
43 year old youngster Venus Wiliams is targeting a return next spring ( Indian Wells, Miami).Venus who suffered a fall on CC at Wimbledon this year, said it disrupted her plans in 2023, also the start of 2024, Venus will miss the AO in 2024.

• Angry
Reactions: tossip

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Emma Raducanu will be working with Nick Cavaday when she makes her return in January: https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/te...485ae05b41337b29ce62&ocid=winp2fptaskbar&ei=4
Unless there are a lot of withdrawals for the AO, Emma will have to play qualies, Petra Kvitova is under a injury cloud with her ongoing back injury she sustained at the China Open 11 weeks ago, as I posted Bianca Andreescu will not be playing., of course Bencic is pregnant, I wonder how long Raducanu will last with Cavaday, as Emma goes through coaches like there ' is no tomorrow'.

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Leylah Fernandez is the first player to win the Billie Jean King Cup Heart Award 3 times!

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Dimi likes his women older and seasoned
I wonder if Saba's current BF whom she has been dating since 2021 Konstantin Koltsova, might get worried a bit with that photo :)
I see Tsitsidosa still cant get enough of each other :)
Saba and Badosa are Besties who knew lol!

Hoergren

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
First - hope you all had a nice Xmas and are prepared for the new season. Here is a - to me - surprising fact?

Status
Not open for further replies.