The United Cup

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Saw parts of De Minaur great win over Nadal last evening, his first ever. Alex winning 3-6,1-6,7-5 in 2 hr 43 minutes, ridiculously long time that makes me wonder whether the court surface is slow. The second set alone, as one commentator pointed out, won by Alex 6-1, took 54 minutes! Nadal did lead 6-3,1-0 with service break but Alex was able to get bac into the match with some true-grit and shot-making tennis that was fun to watch!

Reactions: AnonymousFan

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
United cup format should do away with third sets and just have a 10-point tiebreak where in the event a match has been levelled at 1 set all. These players need limited amount of tennis preparation, prior to two weeks of gruelling Best of Five Grand Slam action, where the whether is sure to heat-up.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Saw parts of De Minaur great win over Nadal last evening, his first ever. Alex winning 3-6,1-6,7-5 in 2 hr 43 minutes, ridiculously long time that makes me wonder whether the court surface is slow. The second set alone, as one commentator pointed out, won by Alex 6-1, took 54 minutes! Nadal did lead 6-3,1-0 with service break but Alex was able to get bac into the match with some true-grit and shot-making tennis that was fun to watch!
When I started watching the first match in Sydney, I thought the courts looked fast to me, remember both players Alex and Rafa a;lways seem to have long rallies, maybe the reason you thought the court seemed slow.. a lot of the players have commented that the courts are playing faster than last year. I was out at Homebush watched Rafa and Zverev practice together, they were on outside courts, the other day, the surface was fast.

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
World No 3 Jessica Pegula gets her first win of the season, defeating Laura Siegemund 63 62
USA d GER 3-0
Next match up, mens singles match,
F. Tiafoe vs O.Otto
Tiafoe d Otto 75 64
USA d GER 4-0

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
United Cup...Brisbane

Berrettini d Ruud 64 64....who was destroying the ball. Matteo has played well all week and loving the fast courts. His serve in this match was just outstanding. Ben fatto Matteo!....best I have seen him play before he got COVID and had to withdraw from Wimbledon in 2022

Italy d Norway 3-0

Italy will either play Poland or Swiss in the final in their group

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Perth United Cup Group A
Greece win 2-1 over Belgium will either meet French or Croatia in their final of Group A

Tennis_Steve

Futures Player
Reactions
The 3 set format is okay by me.
They earn points.
The other ongoing 250s are all 3 sets.
Can't wrap them in cotton wool.
Either you are up for and fit enough to complete on the tour, or you are not and ranking should suffer accordingly.

The Nadal matches would have been much shorter without Nadal slow speed between points, and bathroom break.

Tennis_Steve

Futures Player
Reactions
I'm off enjoying the other knock out tournaments.
Some very good matchups, players I follow..

Will watch the semis and finals

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
USA v GBR

M. Keys d K. Swan 26 63 64

Next match,
T. Fritz vs C. Norrie, players are currently warming up on court.
Highly competitive match between both players, 1 set all...Norrie 1st set 64 and Fritz 2nd set 75
Norrie got the break, Fritz with a good serve and then over played his bhand, which went wide
Norrie will serve for the match 5-4, overall he has been the better player in this match up
Norrie d Fritz 64 57 75
Tie is now 1 all
Ladies singles match will be played in the evening time slot;
J. Pegula vs H.Dart
Pegula d Dart 62 60

USA now lead GBR 2-1
Mens singles match
F. Tiafoe vs D. Evans ( I am off to work, read result of this tie, and the other ones in Perth and Brisbane when I get home from work))

Last edited:

Tennis_Steve

Futures Player
Reactions
TennisTV serving up Norrie v Fritz to me this morning.
Hemman "make him move Noz, make him move".
Noz makes him run like a mad dog.. gets the break.
Hemman "way too physical, unbelievable"

Tennis_Steve

Futures Player
Reactions
What a match that was!
Cam serving incredibly well 1st set.

Fritz upped his game 2nd set. FH crushed.
Seemed to handle being moved about better too.
3 breaks of serve, 2 going to Fritz.. 1 all in sets.

3rd set Cam waited out the Fritz high, was resilient to a point. Just fantastic.

Served it out with an ace!

GB / USA tied at 1-1 on my match schedule

Pegula v Dart next up!

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
The 4 top teams will now head to Sydney for the semi- finals

Day 9, Friday 6th January, Order of play....Semi-Finals
Poland vs USA,

Italy vs Greece

BTW Ranking points are awarded too. If Tsitipas defeats Berrettini, he will be seeded No 3 at the AO, ahead of Casper Ruud
If Greece wins the United Cup Final, beaths either Fritz/Hurkacz he will be seeded No 2 at the AO ahead of Rafa Nadal

Last edited:

Tennis_Steve

Futures Player
Reactions
Watching Norrie cooling down after match v Fritz.
On his back, Physio grabs knee bent leg , forces it one way, then the other, looks pretty forceful on the hips - ouch from us mere mortals

• Haha

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Really..I remember when he came on tour it was intimated that he had to marry his pregnant gf.I was just wondering if the girl that they show is the babymama
Oh, well when they showed the GF I just assumed it was the mother of his child, maybe it is not.

Reactions: tossip

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Well said RAFA !

Rafael Nadal has called for an overhaul of the nascent United Cup competition as his Spanish side prepare for the second day of a dead tie against Australia.

The new teams’ tournament debuted in Sydney, Perth and Brisbane this season but has proven to be more miss than hit with player withdrawals, a convoluted schedule, and ties that count for nothing.

Unprompted, Nadal gave his opinions on the format following his three-set loss to Australian Alex de Minaur, part of a tie that means very little given Great Britain already progressed from the group after two wins.

“Putting things in perspective (for) this competition, I find a negative point,” the world No.2 said. “Competition is great. Idea is great. It’s not great that today we are playing for nothing. It’s the first year of this competition, so that’s the kind of thing that we need to fix, to improve, and to make it more interesting for everyone.”

Nadal said for a start, the loser of the first tie should play the team that hasn’t had a match so there is more on the line. Spain could not progress in the competition after finding themselves down 3-1 to Great Britain, meaning the last mixed doubles and then five matches against Australia were largely meaningless.

Nadal subsequently skipped the mixed doubles against Great Britain but said he would have played if it meant getting a point that could have helped the cause if the Australia tie was a live one.

Instead, the 23-year-old Australian was able to register his first-ever win over 22-time grand slam champion Nadal at the United Cup, downing the Spaniard 3-6, 6-1, 7-5.

Later on Tuesday, Tennis Australia chief Craig Tiley launched a fierce defence of the United Cupwhich is being staged as a key lead-up to the Australian Open.

“The United Cup’s absolutely fantastic,” the Australian Open boss said. “If you watched last night, we’ve had full stadiums, we’ve had over 120,000 people already go through the gate. Yesterday, 40,000 people in one day in Perth, Brisbane and in Sydney.

“That’s remarkable - we’ve never had that. It beats most major tennis events around the world for one day’s attendance. So (it is) unbelievably successful, great, positive feedback from the players.”

Tiley’s glowing endorsement of the United Cup will come as a disappointment to those calling for a return to the traditional summer program of Australian Open lead-in ATP and WTA tournaments in Sydney, Brisbane and Adelaide.

But he did concede some tweaking may happen, and it is understood making the mixed doubles matches guaranteed live rubbers next year is already under discussion.

“We’ll do a debrief (on) what can be improved for 2024,” Tiley said. “It’s important to know that we announced this event five weeks before we started about a five-week run-up to deliver on this event.

“Everyone wanted us to only do it in 2024, and we made a decision to do it in 2023. So I’m proud that the team’s pulled together what they pulled together. It’s going be a great event. It’s going to finish really strong in the finals in Sydney.”

Until Monday night, Sydney-born de Minaur had never beaten a player ranked No 1 or No 2 in the world. In defeating Nadal, he has now beaten arguably the best of all-time.

“It’s a big win, one that I really needed. I’m gonna cherish and use, take all the confidence from this and be able to hopefully take it to have a good Aussie summer,” de Minaur said.

World No 2 Nadal started inauspiciously, going down an early break, only to reel off four straight games to snatch the first set. That momentum continued with another break to start the second set, only for the Sydney local to produce some of his own trademark grit and storm through the next six games.

The decider was a mixed bag - de Minaur’s foot speed and ability to rip out winners from defensive positions against the brute force and experience of Nadal. The pair traded breaks midway through the set before an error-strewn 11th game from Nadal saw de Minaur serve for the match and claim the win.

After a patchy back half of 2022 and a surprise loss to Great Britain’s Cameron Norrie in Spain’s opening tie, there have been questions being raised about Nadal’s form and motivation as he heads into the twilight of his career. Since pulling out of the Wimbledon semi-final of 2022 against Nick Kyrgios he has four wins from 11 starts.

“I need hours on court; I need battles like this,” the Melbourne Park defending champion said. “I have two weeks before the Australian Open starts. I can’t say that the situation is ideal, but at the same time, I can’t say that it’s very negative, because for moments, I was playing good. I think that two matches is gonna help me. I need to win a couple of matches.”

Rafa has a point. The competition needs a revamp for next year. I would love to see the second-placed teams in each group also have a chance to reach and competing in the next rounds.

As for me, I've given up watching the inaugural UNITED CUP as i find it a flawed competition.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Vince Evert General Tennis Discussions 5