The United Cup

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Tennis Australia has just announced a new event for Brisbane, Perth and Sydney, The United Cup. ( which replaces the ATP Cup. which I posted awhile ago).
The United Cup to be played over 11 days, 29 December to 8th January 2023.
8 mens, 4 women per team, with 18 teams..
Each tie with 2 mens singles, 2 womens singles and a mixed doubles

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
That's a pretty exciting idea. I prefer it over the ATP Cup, which I was against.

Reactions: kskate2 and tented

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Tennis Australia has just announced a new event for Brisbane, Perth and Sydney, The United Cup. ( which replaces the ATP Cup. which I posted awhile ago).
The United Cup to be played over 11 days, 29 December to 8th January 2023.
8 mens, 4 women per team, with 18 teams..
Each tie with 2 mens singles, 2 womens singles and a mixed doubles
Not to be chauvinist, but why are there 8 men but only 4 women?

Reactions: Moxie

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Not to be chauvinist, but why are there 8 men but only 4 women?
I noticed that, too. I wonder what the thinking is? Does this also sort of replace Hopman Cup? (Is that gone? I think it is.) Hard to think of any good reason not to have even teams, especially if there is mixed doubles. It says each tie is "2 mens singles, 2 womens singles and a mixed doubles." Doesn't that mean that each woman participating will have to pull more double-duty than the men? And that, before a Major? Seems curious.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I noticed that, too. I wonder what the thinking is? Does this also sort of replace Hopman Cup? (Is that gone? I think it is.) Hard to think of any good reason not to have even teams, especially if there is mixed doubles. It says each tie is "2 mens singles, 2 womens singles and a mixed doubles." Doesn't that mean that each woman participating will have to pull more double-duty than the men? And that, before a Major? Seems curious.
Let me expand,

Each team will compromise of up to 4 men and 4 women, with ties to include 2 women's and 2 mens singles matches, and one mixed doubles match.
It is based on the Hopman Cup which used to be held in Perth, which I have attended in the past.The Players loved it by the way.
I read that the ATP were going to hold the Hopman Cup in Europe? that was awhile ago, though honestly how are they going to fit it in the present ATP tour.

Reactions: kskate2 and Moxie

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Let me expand,

Each team will compromise of up to 4 men and 4 women, with ties to include 2 women's and 2 mens singles matches, and one mixed doubles match.
It is based on the Hopman Cup which used to be held in Perth, which I have attended in the past.The Players loved it by the way.
I read that the ATP were going to hold the Hopman Cup in Europe? that was awhile ago, though honestly how are they going to fit it in the present ATP tour.
That makes more sense. And I guess we'll have to see what happens with the Hopman Cup.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I really cant see the Hopman Cup held in Europe quite frankly, lets see if it re-appears
Honestly, the calendar is so crowded, there is only so much time for team competitions, especially co-ed ones.

Reactions: tented

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Honestly, the calendar is so crowded, there is only so much time for team competitions, especially co-ed ones.
I agree there is no room, I guess it will be put on the back burner for now. I would rather see a Masters 1000 on grass before the Hopman Cup can be added to the tour.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I would rather see a Masters 1000 on grass before the Hopman Cup can be added to the tour.
Well, you and the entire tennis universe. I can't believe they're not trying to figure that one out. I still think Halle is the only option.

Reactions: tented

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Well, you and the entire tennis universe. I can't believe they're not trying to figure that one out. I still think Halle is the only option.
Halle seems the venue that can hold a Masters 1000, I mean the ATP CEO said months ago they wanted a Masters 1000 on Grass,lets see they might surprise us in 2023 or beyond :)

tented

Administrator
Reactions
Halle seems the venue that can hold a Masters 1000, I mean the ATP CEO said months ago they wanted a Masters 1000 on Grass,lets see they might surprise us in 2023 or beyond :)
Saying he wants a grass-court Masters doesn’t mean it will be Halle. There are very specific requirements which must be met before a tournament can even be considered to become a Masters.

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Honestly, both tours probably need to look at their schedule and tournament rosters and assess if they are going in a positive direction or need to reassess what needs to happen with their tours. I think they probably do need to make some changes.

Reactions: AnonymousFan

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Countries that have qualified for the United Cup,

Poland, USA, France, Switzerland, Brazil,Czech Republic, Spain, Germany, Greece, Norway, GBR, Australia, Argentina, Croatia, Belgium.

Top seeds are Poland, Spain, Greece, USA, Italy and France. ( Iga Swiatek and Rafa Nadal confirmed they are playing for their respective countries).........draw will be made later today

Biggest names out in the available teams,
Alcaraz
Djokovic
Gauff
Bautista
Sinner
Muguruza
Cilic Krejcikova
Pliskova
Raducanu
Murray
( Serbia also out)

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Seeing that Novak Djokovic is free to play in Australia, is the United Cup a possibility? that would be great for Perth. who are waiting for a team of the highest ranked ATP Singles player.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Bulgaria ( via Dimitrov's ranking) and Kazakhstan ( combined rankings ) are the last 2 teams qualified for the United Cup
Note : No Serbia or Canada
Bulgaria will play in Group A with Greece and Belgium
Kazakhstan will play in Group B with Poland and Switzerland

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
United Cup Captains,

Brisbane Group B
Poland Agnieszka Radwanska and Dawid Celt
Switzerland Stan Wawrinka
Kazakhstan Alexanda Bublik

Group E,
Italy Vincenzo Santopadre
Brazil Rafael Pacharoni
Norway Christian Ruud

Sydney Group C
USA David Witt
Germany Mischa Zverev
Czech Republic Jiri Vanek

Group D,
Spain Marc Lopez
Australia Lleyton Hewitt and Sam Stosur
GBR Tim Henman

Perth, Group A,
Greece TBA
Belguim Kirsten Flipkens
Bulgaria Grigor Dimitrov

Group F.
France Edouard Roger-Vasselin
Croatia Iva Majoli
Argentina Gisela Dulko

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
How to watch the United Cup on Tennis TV,
Tennis TV will be streaming all ATP and WTA singles and doubles matches from the 29th December - 8th January 2023.
Live stream will be available via www.tennistv.com and tennis tv mobile and tv apps. Simply purchase a monthly or annual Tennis TV subscription to watch the event live.

• Love

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Nick Kyrgios has withdrawn due to injury. ( apparently Nick has a niggling ankle injury) Alex de Minaur will move into the No 1 men's position for Team Australia, and subsequently Jason Kluber moves into the No 2 spot.
Updated schedule to follow

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Vince Evert General Tennis Discussions 5