The United Cup

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Well said RAFA !

Rafael Nadal has called for an overhaul of the nascent United Cup competition as his Spanish side prepare for the second day of a dead tie against Australia.

The new teams’ tournament debuted in Sydney, Perth and Brisbane this season but has proven to be more miss than hit with player withdrawals, a convoluted schedule, and ties that count for nothing.

Unprompted, Nadal gave his opinions on the format following his three-set loss to Australian Alex de Minaur, part of a tie that means very little given Great Britain already progressed from the group after two wins.

“Putting things in perspective (for) this competition, I find a negative point,” the world No.2 said. “Competition is great. Idea is great. It’s not great that today we are playing for nothing. It’s the first year of this competition, so that’s the kind of thing that we need to fix, to improve, and to make it more interesting for everyone.”

Nadal said for a start, the loser of the first tie should play the team that hasn’t had a match so there is more on the line. Spain could not progress in the competition after finding themselves down 3-1 to Great Britain, meaning the last mixed doubles and then five matches against Australia were largely meaningless.

Nadal subsequently skipped the mixed doubles against Great Britain but said he would have played if it meant getting a point that could have helped the cause if the Australia tie was a live one.

Instead, the 23-year-old Australian was able to register his first-ever win over 22-time grand slam champion Nadal at the United Cup, downing the Spaniard 3-6, 6-1, 7-5.

Later on Tuesday, Tennis Australia chief Craig Tiley launched a fierce defence of the United Cupwhich is being staged as a key lead-up to the Australian Open.

“The United Cup’s absolutely fantastic,” the Australian Open boss said. “If you watched last night, we’ve had full stadiums, we’ve had over 120,000 people already go through the gate. Yesterday, 40,000 people in one day in Perth, Brisbane and in Sydney.

“That’s remarkable - we’ve never had that. It beats most major tennis events around the world for one day’s attendance. So (it is) unbelievably successful, great, positive feedback from the players.”

Tiley’s glowing endorsement of the United Cup will come as a disappointment to those calling for a return to the traditional summer program of Australian Open lead-in ATP and WTA tournaments in Sydney, Brisbane and Adelaide.

But he did concede some tweaking may happen, and it is understood making the mixed doubles matches guaranteed live rubbers next year is already under discussion.

“We’ll do a debrief (on) what can be improved for 2024,” Tiley said. “It’s important to know that we announced this event five weeks before we started about a five-week run-up to deliver on this event.

“Everyone wanted us to only do it in 2024, and we made a decision to do it in 2023. So I’m proud that the team’s pulled together what they pulled together. It’s going be a great event. It’s going to finish really strong in the finals in Sydney.”

Until Monday night, Sydney-born de Minaur had never beaten a player ranked No 1 or No 2 in the world. In defeating Nadal, he has now beaten arguably the best of all-time.

“It’s a big win, one that I really needed. I’m gonna cherish and use, take all the confidence from this and be able to hopefully take it to have a good Aussie summer,” de Minaur said.

World No 2 Nadal started inauspiciously, going down an early break, only to reel off four straight games to snatch the first set. That momentum continued with another break to start the second set, only for the Sydney local to produce some of his own trademark grit and storm through the next six games.

The decider was a mixed bag - de Minaur’s foot speed and ability to rip out winners from defensive positions against the brute force and experience of Nadal. The pair traded breaks midway through the set before an error-strewn 11th game from Nadal saw de Minaur serve for the match and claim the win.

After a patchy back half of 2022 and a surprise loss to Great Britain’s Cameron Norrie in Spain’s opening tie, there have been questions being raised about Nadal’s form and motivation as he heads into the twilight of his career. Since pulling out of the Wimbledon semi-final of 2022 against Nick Kyrgios he has four wins from 11 starts.

“I need hours on court; I need battles like this,” the Melbourne Park defending champion said. “I have two weeks before the Australian Open starts. I can’t say that the situation is ideal, but at the same time, I can’t say that it’s very negative, because for moments, I was playing good. I think that two matches is gonna help me. I need to win a couple of matches.”

Rafa has a point. The competition needs a revamp for next year. I would love to see the second-placed teams in each group also have a chance to reach the next rounds.

As for me, I've given up watching the inaugural UNITED CUP as i find it a flawed competition.
I also agree with Rafa's comments Vince, though seeing it is a new competition, hopefully the 'powers that be' take the comments, not from Rafa, as I heard similar thoughts from other players, and make a revamp for next year.Lleyton Hewitt also spoke out today and wants to see Sydney International brought back, also Brisbane Tournament, both tournaments were cancelled due to COVID.

Last edited:

Tennis_Steve

Futures Player
Reactions
Team USA are looking strong.
Probably the best level of both Men and Women across the team to call on.

We'll see.

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Good follow-up this morning on THE DAILY TELEGRAPH...

United Cup 2023: Rafael Nadal’s slams United Cup for meaningless competition​

Rafa Nadal doesn’t often voice criticism, so when he slams the United Cup format after meaningless matches, Tennis Australia would do well to listen and change the woke format.

Tennis Australia’s underwhelming new, woke team tournament has come under fire from Rafa Nadal for needlessly producing too many meaningless matches.
It is not often that Nadal bites the hand that feeds him so when the Spanish legend does speak up, he’s usually right on the money.

And in this case, the Spaniard is spot on in calling out the baffling format being used for the inaugural United Cup - which has already been labelled a $22 million flop after replacing time honoured events that Australian fans had embraced for generations, including the NSW Open, that was first held in 1885.

While the idea of playing an expanded mixed gender team event has received some praise, the ill-conceived decision by tennis officials to split the 18 national teams into six groups of three has gone down like a lead balloon.

With only the group
winner advancing, this has left some teams playing entire ties with nothing at stake.

In the case of Spain and Australia, they were put in the insane situation of contesting five matches over two days - all for zilch - because neither team could advance in the tournament after losing their opening ties to Britain.

That’s left some tennis superstars - including the Australian Open’s defending champion Nadal - reconsidering their preparations for the first grand slam of 2023 in Melbourne because of the scheduling blunder.

“I’m probably gonna leave Wednesday. I don‘t know,” Nadal said. “Visit a little bit the city here Wednesday morning and then leaving in the afternoon. Maybe.”

Nadal is not the first foreign superstar to be left to fend for himself after local tennis officials stuffed things up and he’s not the only one unimpressed by the United Cup.

Plenty of big name players have skipped the tournament altogether - including nine-time Australian Open winner Novak Djokovic and current world No.1 Carlos Alcaraz.

With the competition also being held in three different cities - Sydney, Brisbane and Perth - but only one getting to crown the champion, it’s little wonder fans and players feel like they’ve been sold a lemon.

“I‘m not sure yet about the schedule,” Nadal said. “But putting things in perspective, this competition I find a negative point.

“Competition is great. Idea is great. It‘s not great that today we are playing for nothing. I really believe -- it’s the first year of this competition, so that’s kind of things that need to fix, to improve, and to make it more interesting for everyone.”

Tennis Australia officials hate it whenever top players call them out so usually just ignore their complaints or sweep them under the carpet with corporate gibberish but they should be listening closely to Nadal.

Rafael Nadal has given TA a quick-fix solution for the United Cup dead rubbers. Picture: Brendon Thorne/Getty Images

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Jessica Pegula I will slap you if you do not play like this in 2023 all the time okay :)
You are taking the ball on the rise, playing with controlled aggression against the No 1 player Iga Swiatek
You are giving her no time at the back of the court to 'reset' her footwork, also your serve has been on the 'mark' as Iga could not return it in this match
This is the best match I have seen you play
Perfect Pegula wins 62 62! well done Jess!

USA lead Poland 1-0
Mens singles match up next,
F. Tiafoe vs K. Zuk

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: AnonymousFan

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Jessica Pegula I will slap you if you do not play like this in 2023 all the time okay :)
You are taking the ball on the rise, playing with controlled aggression against the No 1 player Iga Swiatek
You are giving her no time at the back of the court to 'reset' her footwork, also your serve has been on the 'mark' as Iga could not return it in this match

USA lead Poland 1-0
Mens singles match up next
Wtf is going on with Iga crying under the towel. My LORD she has a very lovely cute face ..poor baby she is taking this too hard ..

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
A routine win from Frances Tiafoe, defeating Polish player K. Zuk 63 63

USA lead Poland 2-0....reverse singles, mixed doubles to be played tomorrow

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions

USA lead Poland 1-0
Mens singles match up next,
F. Tiafoe vs K. Zuk
Extremely high level that will be difficult to sustain as the pressure and expectation shift. She could let it fly because she's playing #1. No one expected her to win anyway.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Wtf is going on with Iga crying under the towel. My LORD she has a very lovely cute face ..poor baby she is taking this too hard ..
She expects to win all the time. She's also become accustomed to players rolling over for her. She was there for the taking at the USO, but nobody stepped up to the plate. Same thing at the WTA finals. It took the DF Queen to send her packing. She was crying when she walked off court there. She cried when she lost to Babs in that final last year. @MargaretMcAleer is right. Way too soft of an exterior. She's all about the bizness when she is winning, but when she loses, she is a different person. Definitely, must get tougher. She has a big target on her back that's not going away anytime soon. Serena is gone and everyone will be coming after her this year. She has a boatload of points and results to defend this year.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
She expects to win all the time. She's also become accustomed to players rolling over for her. She was there for the taking at the USO, but nobody stepped up to the plate. Same thing at the WTA finals. It took the DF Queen to send her packing. She was crying when she walked off court there. She cried when she lost to Babs in that final last year. @MargaretMcAleer is right. Way too soft of an exterior. She's all about the bizness when she is winning, but when she loses, she is a different person. Definitely, must get tougher. She has a big target on her back that's not going away anytime soon. Serena is gone and everyone will be coming after her this year. She has a boatload of points and results to defend this year.
Something about her is very genuine. Her emotions are raw and she is a true competitor unlike Naomi. I'm a big Iga fan but I need to get divorced from Madison first . Jajaja

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
In the other tie, played in the night session

Greece v Italy
Italy 2-0
L. Musetti d S. Sakellaridis 61 61
M. Trevisan d M. Sakkari 63 67(4) 75

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Extremely high level that will be difficult to sustain as the pressure and expectation shift. She could let it fly because she's playing #1. No one expected her to win anyway.
I can dream can't I lol! seriously the fast courts in Sydney, suited Jess game to a tee, used it to her advantage., from memory when these 2 players met previously courts were slower, which favored Iga.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Just finished watching highlights of the Sakkari vs Trevisan singles match from last night...nail biting match right down to the last point
If anyone can get highlights of the match I recommend it!
BTW I still want to get my scissors and cut of that ridiculous top notch on the top of Sakkari's head :)

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
First singles mens match started at the United Cup, Sydney,

H. Hurkacz vs T. Frtiz a much needed win for Hurkacz, to keep Poland chances alive
In a closely contested 1st set which went to a t/bfreak Fritz held his nerve and his serve and won 76 (5)
Another t/break for the 2nd set, USA will book their place in the final if Fritz wins this match
Great win for Team USA who booked their place in the final of the United Cup....Fritz played well in a close contest against Hurkacz, held his nerve well won in 2 close t/breaker sets 76 (5) 76 (5)

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Madison Keys d Magda Linette 64 62
USA leads Poland 4-0
Mixed Doubles just started,
J.Pegula/ T.Fritz vs L.Kubot/A.Rosolska

Last edited:

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Just finished watching highlights of the Sakkari vs Trevisan singles match from last night...nail biting match right down to the last point
If anyone can get highlights of the match I recommend it!
BTW I still want to get my scissors and cut of that ridiculous top notch on the top of Sakkari's head :)
Greek Goddess should just retire now. She cannot get out of her own way. I like Trevisan, but there's no good reason the Greek should be getting bossed by her on a faster HC.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Vince Evert General Tennis Discussions 5