Rolex Paris Masters, 2019, Bercy, France, ATP Masters 1000

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Even a dead clock is right twice a day. You have been predicting Med's early loss for the last several tourneys and finally, you got it.
Still, it's a bit surprising how many people expected that Daniil could just keep up this new level he found, don't you think? Let's face it, most people thought he'd hit the wall at the USO long before the final. It's been an impressive run, and like everyone, I still am expecting many good things from him, but we haven't seen but less than a handful of players (by which I mean the Big 4) who have really sustained a high level for very long without letdown. Not to say DM can't get there, but it's more of a shock that it took him this long to lose another match.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
You never know when Chardy will pull one off. I was hoping Medvedev would be there to challenge Novak, but great win for the Frenchman.

Yeah just read the scores on the way home and a surprising loss for Medvedev. Chardy is a headcase. Wins when you don't want him to and vice versa. A disaster for draw challenges no doubt for those who do them. Novak breathes a sigh of relief.

Reading the shocking break point stats though, it's not like the end of the world. If he even converted one in set 3 he likely would have won the match. He'll be trying even harder to win at the WTF now although I dunno how that slow court will suit him.

Reactions: AnonymousFan

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Yeah just read the scores on the way home and a surprising loss for Medvedev. Chardy is a headcase. Wins when you don't want him to and vice versa. A disaster for draw challenges no doubt for those who do them. Novak breathes a sigh of relief.

Reading the shocking break point stats though, it's not like the end of the world. If he even converted one in set 3 he likely would have won the match. He'll be trying even harder to win at the WTF now although I dunno how that slow court will suit him.
Tell me about it...Chardy has long been the bane of my existence in the draw challenge. And yes, he surely took a big roadblock out of Novak's way.

Indeed the failure to convert on so many break points did him in. Of course the crowd was with Chardy, but it's hard to think that that really help Jeremy or hindered DM, who is used to it. He did misbehave a bit, though, and the crowd let him know it. I didn't watch the first half of the match, but DM was far from as focused and crisp as he has been for much of the last few months. Hard to know how much was head and how much was game, from what I saw.

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
***...The 'Big 4' have won 37 of the last 41 men's major singles titles; '05 FO - '15 FO. They have also won 10 of the previous 12 WTF, w/ Federer winning 6 and Djokovic 4. They have regularly occupied the top 4 places in the year-end rankings btw '08 and '13, w/ Murray being the only member not to have been ranked #1, having reached a career high #2 on several occasions.

Of the 4, Federer leads w/ a record 17 GS titles followed by Nadal (14), Djokovic (8) and Murray (2). Federer and Nadal have completed a Career Grand Slam by winning each of the 4 Majors at least once, w/ Nadal also winning a Gold medal at '08 Olympics for a Career Golden Slam. Thus far Djokovic has not won the FO. Murray has won neither the FO nor the AO despite reaching the final 4 X's in Melbourne, but won the gold medal at the 2012 Olympics. Furthermore, at ATP Masters 1000 tournaments, Nadal leads w/ a record 27 titles, followed by Djokovic (24), Federer (23), & Murray (10).***

The change has been staggering in just 3-4 years! The above post to my blog was from someone here more than likely! Any ideas? The jump by Nole to catch up in just about every category is just amazing; from 8 majors to 16 and closing in on Fed's 20! :whistle: :eek: :oops: :rolleyes:

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
I predict that Roger will retire! None of you are listening to me!!! You'll see...
I think the loss at SW19 took more out of Roger than his previous losses. Roger's level of tennis was by far the best at Wimbledon 2019. Roger's stats were the best including the match vs Novak.Roger won more points but loss the tiebreakers and match. I would think he would give 2020 one last try.. Novak's game may be the best opposition for Roger's quest unless Rafa or Medvedev can step up their grass courts play. IMO

Reactions: Bonaca

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
Finally got a break and managing to see some tennis. Thiem x Raonic proving to be a good match, Raonic serving like a monster and showing good play at the net. Two huge returns to earn a break point at the start of the second. Thiem won the first in a brilliant TB.

Reactions: Fiero425

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
Raonic average second serve speed is 196 KM/h (122 MPH). His fastest second serve was 228 KM/h (141 MPH).

Andy22

Major Winner
Reactions
Medvedev saved him himself from losing to nadal in the final good for him, now he has more time to win wtf.

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
Extremely good match between Raonic and Thiem, now one set a piece. Raonic very close to being back at his best form. He will be a dark horse for sure at the AO. He is currently at #31. A few players still alive in this tournament are close to him in the rankings, so he might just be not seeded at the AO if he ends up losing this match. In that case, the way he is serving he is a nightmare first round to just about anyone.

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Milos finally breaks at set point and grabs the second set.

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Extremely good match between Raonic and Thiem, now one set a piece. Raonic very close to being back at his best form. He will be a dark horse for sure at the AO. He is currently at #31. A few players still alive in this tournament are close to him in the rankings, so he might just be not seeded at the AO if he ends up losing this match. In that case, the way he is serving he is a nightmare first round to just about anyone.
Don't forget that for the AO seeding, the ranking will still take in consideration the results from the first week of the season, respectively 3 events of 250.

Reactions: Fiero425 and mrzz

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
Don't forget that for the AO seeding, the ranking will still take in consideration the results from the first week of the season, respectively 3 events of 250.

Yes, that will be an important factor too. Would need to check how the players involved fared in those tournaments. Raonic himself lost in the quarters. That limits his possible gain to 205 points. He will most likely be seeded, but I always like to see big players collide early (no matter if it involves favorites of mine), so I am rooting for him to stay out of the top 32.

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
First bad game of the match and Raonic gifts Thiem a break late in the third. Austrian to serve for the match.

Edit: Serves it out with authority. Good win. Yes!

isabelle

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Medvedev saved him himself from losing to nadal in the final good for him, now he has more time to win wtf.
was it a reason to make a fool of himself ? really disappointing performance from him; I expected much better

Reactions: Andy22

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Fabio lost to Denis. One guy less in the running for the WTF.

Reactions: Moxie