11. Hubert Hurkacz
12. Tommy Paul
13. Alex de Minaur
14. Ben Shelton
15. Frances Tiafoe
16. Karen Khachanov

Palais_Omnisports_de_Paris-Bercy_2007.jpg

The Tournament:

The Paris Masters is an annual tennis tournament for male professional players held in Paris, France. It is played indoors at the AccorHotels Arena, in the neighborhood of Bercy.The event is part of the ATP Tour Masters 1000 on the Association of Tennis Professionals (ATP) Tour.

The tournament evolved from the French Covered Court Championships. In the open era it was held at the Stade Pierre de Coubertin until 1982. In 1989 it was upgraded to become one of the Grand Prix Tour (Grand Prix Super Series). The event is usually the final tournament on the tour before the season-ending ATP Finals. Because of its sponsorship, the event was officially known from 2003 to 2016 as BNP Paribas Masters, and from 2017 as the Rolex Paris Masters. Prior to the Tennis Masters Series replacing the ATP Super 9 in 2000, the event was known as the Paris Open. It is also often referred to as the Paris Indoor event in reference to both the facts that the other tennis event held in Paris, the French Open is held outdoors, and that since 2009, it is the only Masters 1000 tournament which is played indoors. From 1970 until 1986 there had usually been three indoor events amongst the top nine tournaments (then called the Grand Prix Championship Series), with there being four indoor events plus the year-end Championships from 1978 to 1980. From 1987 until 2008 there were two indoor tournaments at the Masters level.

The surface used to be one of the fastest courts in the world which rewarded bold attacking tennis, but since 2011 it has followed the general slow-down of most courts on the tour. Ilie Năstase, Andre Agassi, Roger Federer, Novak Djokovic are the only players ever to have won both Parisian tournaments (Bercy and the French Open). Djokovic won Bercy in 2009, 2013–15, 2019, 2021 and the French Open in 2016, 2021, 2023, Federer won the French Open in 2009 and Bercy in 2011 and Andre Agassi won Bercy in 1994 and both in 1999 as did Ilie Năstase in 1973. In 2015, Marcelo Melo, Ivan Dodig won the doubles events at both tournaments. To date, Novak Djokovic is the only player who has successfully defended his title in Paris (2013–15).

About Paris:

Paris is the capital and most populous city of France. With an official estimated population of 2,102,650 residents as of 1 January 2023 in an area of more than 105 km2 (41 sq mi), Paris is the fifth-most populated city in the European Union and the 30th most densely populated city in the world in 2022. Since the 17th century, Paris has been one of the world's major centres of finance, diplomacy, commerce, culture, fashion, gastronomy and many areas. For its leading role in the arts and sciences, as well as its early and extensive system of street lighting, in the 19th century, it became known as the City of Light.

The City of Paris is the centre of the Île-de-France region, or Paris Region, with an official estimated population of 12,271,794 inhabitants on January 1, 2023, or about 19% of the population of France, making the region France's primate city. The Paris Region had a GDP of €765 billion in 2021, the highest in the European Union. According to the Economist Intelligence Unit Worldwide Cost of Living Survey, in 2022, Paris was the city with the ninth-highest cost of living in the world.

04-2017._Notre-Dame_de_Paris-71.jpg

Tourism Guide:

PhiEaglesfan712

Masters Champion
Reactions
This is the crown jewel tournament of the fall schedule. I wish the WTA Tour would have something equivalent to this, in between the US Open and WTA Finals.

Reactions: Fiero425

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
I think Novak will win this. He's paced himself very well this year, and since he got lucky in Paris, he's rode that wave and won the USO as well, by playing the minimum warm ups. He's going to be fresh, and there's huge question marks over the rest of the top ten seeds. I hope Shelton turns up blazing too. He's got nothing to lose and he could be this years Holger Rune, in Paris...

PhiEaglesfan712

Masters Champion
Reactions
I think Novak will win this. He's paced himself very well this year, and since he got lucky in Paris, he's rode that wave and won the USO as well, by playing the minimum warm ups. He's going to be fresh, and there's huge question marks over the rest of the top ten seeds. I hope Shelton turns up blazing too. He's got nothing to lose and he could be this years Holger Rune, in Paris...
If there is any player that is going to take down Novak, it's Ben Shelton. Outside of Novak, Shelton has the least question marks of any other seeded player. I think that experience in playing Novak in a US Open semifinal is going to be huge if Shelton faces Novak here. It was pretty clear that Shelton wasn't ready that night at the US Open, but with the experience of playing Djokovic under his belt, I think Shelton can use it to his advantage and win this time around.

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com

If Novak snares this Masters in Paris, he'll be the unquestioned King of Paris Indoors leaving Rafa to be Emperor of RG's! Shelton's on top of his game while Rune is struggling! IDK why he doesn't just shut it down for the season? Holger's barely surviving his 1st round in Basil after dropping his last 5 matches! I can appreciate him being out there though! Such a hottie! :rose: I don't think he's going to make the YEC even though in 8th place at the moment! Lucky for him Ruud's been off his game as well! Tiafoe only got by 1st round in Vienna due to Evans' injury down a break early when it happened! :face-with-head-bandage: :face-with-hand-over-mouth: :astonished-face: :fearful-face:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Out of all the players at this time of the year Novak is the best rested, I have never like the Paris Masters for many reasons, players usually at this time of the year are carrying niggling injuries and are tired nearing the end of the season for many players.
Ben is playing a tournament in Vienna right after winning his first tournament, both in singles and doubles, it will be a tough first singles encounter for him playing a rested Sinner.Quite frankly I would have liked Ben to withdraw and be rested for Paris.

PhiEaglesfan712

Masters Champion
Reactions
The Paris Masters shouldn't be removed, especially when you've got pretty much a bunch of exhibition tournaments in the fall schedule. What should happen, though, is changing the order of when the tournaments take place. The ATP Finals should be played in late September (following the US Open), and the Paris Masters should kick off the following season, with the current fall exhibition tournaments following that. The Asia stretch would be a good segue into the Australian warm-ups.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Paris Bercy main draw ceremony will be made today at 7.30pm local time

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Projected QFs ( by seeding),

(1) N.Djokovic vs H.Rune (6)
(4) J.Sinner vs A.Rublev (5)
(8) C.Ruud vs D.Medvedev (3)
(2) C.Alcaraz vs S.Tsitsipas (7)

Reactions: tented

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I have done Alcaraz projected draw to the final,
R2 Norrie
R3 KK/Purcell
QF Tsitsipas/Zverev
SF. Medvedev/Hurkacz
F. Djokovic/Sinner/Rune

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I have done Novak Djokovic projected draw to the final,
R2 Kecmanovic/Etcheverry
R3 Shelton/David Fokina
QF Rune/Fritz
SF Sinner/Rublev
F. Alcaraz/Medvedev

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
In a cruel twist of fate, Wawrinka v. Thiem in the first round.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
In a cruel twist of fate, Wawrinka v. Thiem in the first round.
Dom having to play qualifiers in Paris and gets Stan, I also wondered how much longer Stan will play on the tour, read the other day he was feeling his age and tired, though I think most players are tired at present and cant wait for their off season

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Dom having to play qualifiers in Paris and gets Stan, I also wondered how much longer Stan will play on the tour, read the other day he was feeling his age and tired, though I think most players are tired at present and cant wait for their off season
This is interesting: Stan is 38 1/2, and ranked 45. Andy Murray is 36 1/2 and ranked 40. Dominic is just turned 30, and ranked #99.

You do have to wonder how much longer Stan is going to wander the world to barely get out of early rounds. Andy, IMO, can keep giving it a go, if he likes. Thiem might just have enough time to keep things interesting for himself. He seems improved of late. I'd love to see him find a late-career run of good form.

Reactions: MargaretMcAleer

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Ben Shelton took an early bath. Good win for Davidovich Fokina.

Andy Murray’s down a break already against his best friend, Alex de Minotaur..

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
The Bullman won the first set. I think Andy can beat this bloke but when things get tight he’s not the most confident of the 2 out there…

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
The Bullman won the first set. I think Andy can beat this bloke but when things get tight he’s not the most confident of the 2 out there…
Murray's up the break early in the 2nd. He'll probably win, because I picked De Minaur, and I think only one of my draw picks so far has been correct. :lulz1:

• Haha
Reactions: Kieran

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Murray's up the break early in the 2nd. He'll probably win, because I picked De Minaur, and I think only one of my draw picks so far has been correct. :lulz1:
I feel like we've seen this film beore. Andy up a break, serving at 5-4 in the third..

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Murray 5-4, 40-30, final set: Och, Ah think Ah'll take the wee scenic route?

5-all.. :popcorn