Rolex Paris Masters, 2019, Bercy, France, ATP Masters 1000

monfed

Major Winner
Reactions
Sickening result. Shapo losing to this pusher on an indoor court like Bercy. Horrible stuff.

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
What a horrible match. Djokovic just putting the ball in play waiting for Shapovalov to do unforced errors. :facepalm:

However now I know why Nadal withdrew. Look at the trophy, he obviously didn't want to injure himself while biting it.

trophee-tournoi-Paris-Bercy-remporte-dernier-Andy-Murray_0_729_472.jpg

I will rephrase it. We spared this trophy of Rafa's biting.

Bonaca

Major Winner
Reactions
A win is a win and I’m happy, but I find it interesting how different the playing level of Novak is rated.
If I didn’t watch every single match of him, I would get a wrong impression.
I really think he would have lost to Roger in Basel-form in straights and have a tight 3-setter with Bull.
For me he was too passive/defensive, except in the QF, and his excellent serving and the weak opponents made it look so easy overall.
My hope is he did only what was needed, and can raise the level next week.

Reactions: Fiero425

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
A win is a win and I’m happy, but I find it interesting how different the playing level of Novak is rated.
If I didn’t watch every single match of him, I would get a wrong impression.
I really think he would have lost to Roger in Basel-form in straights and have a tight 3-setter with Bull.
For me he was too passive/defensive, except in the QF, and his excellent serving and the weak opponents made it look so easy overall.
My hope is he did only what was needed, and can raise the level next week.
Why do Novak has to hug EVERY body..this ain't prison or is it

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
What do you mean? He doesn't hug anybody.
Do you mean the gesture he makes after he wins the match?
every since he lost the match vs Delpo at the 2016 Olympics,Novak hugs everyone who defeats him but maybe Roger..now he is hugging everyone even when he wins. Why? I don't recall McEnroe, Connors, I know lendl didn't, Sampras , Roger hugging their opponents..

Bonaca

Major Winner
Reactions
every since he lost the match vs Delpo at the 2016 Olympics,Novak hugs everyone who defeats him but maybe Roger..now he is hugging everyone even when he wins. Why? I don't recall McEnroe, Connors, I know lendl didn't, Sampras , Roger hugging their opponents..
I have no clue why. I guess friendly behaviour.
If he keeps winning, I give a shit about it.
Like you didn’t about the butt-grabbing/finger-sniffing of Nadal.
Am I right?

Last edited:

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
It's much better to see him hugging to everyone than to break his rackets, to shot like crazy to his box, grabbing the towel from the ball boy in very bad manners and tearing up his shirt, awful to look

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I actually think there's a lot more bro-hugging and cuddling at the net in the men's game nowadays than in the women's. The ladies tend to give the standard handshake and nod at the net unless they are actually friends. Novak gives a bit more of a hug than most, but he's not really unusual.

Reactions: Bonaca

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
I actually think there's a lot more bro-hugging and cuddling at the net in the men's game nowadays than in the women's

I cannot compare to women's, but with regards to men maybe we are just simply paying more attention.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I cannot compare to women's, but with regards to men maybe we are just simply paying more attention.
No, I watch the women's. They seem to have more sang froid, atm.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
LOL. I love it when people assume others are upset, when they're not. I am calm, Moxie. This is much ado about nothing. You took offense where none was intended, that's all.

And I did respond. I agreed with you that Rafa has adapted his game.
Sorry, what I took for upset was merely condescension. My mistake. For all the trolls around here, and horrible things that get said, I don't know why I become the object of your derision. And gross jokes. WTF? I know you usually like to take the "high-road." What happened?

isabelle

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
so so final, young Shapo did too many errors, a pity he couldn't play his best tennis. congrats to the great Serbinator and Tsar Marat...

Reactions: Fiero425 and Bonaca

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
lol analyzing hugs at the net. Yup, that's the dull part of the tennis season.

Reactions: mrzz

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Sorry, what I took for upset was merely condescension. My mistake. For all the trolls around here, and horrible things that get said, I don't know why I become the object of your derision. And gross jokes. WTF? I know you usually like to take the "high-road." What happened?

You are so sensitive. So much drama!

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
lol analyzing hugs at the net. Yup, that's the dull part of the tennis season.
Did you see the final? Basically all there was left to talk about. Denis still has a very undisciplined game. He's still young, but he's no newbie.

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Did you see the final? Basically all there was left to talk about. Denis still has a very undisciplined game. He's still young, but he's no newbie.
Give him a break! He delivered a beatdown of Monfils and beat Sasha along the way, both ranked well higher than him the week before.
It was his first master final for him. He did pretty well as far as I am concerned.
And the final was not so utterly lopsided either.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Give him a break! He delivered a beatdown of Monfils and beat Sasha along the way, both ranked well higher than him the week before.
It was his first master final for him. He did pretty well as far as I am concerned.
And the final was not so utterly lopsided either.
I did say he's young. I'm not expecting miracles in his first MS final. But at least we're not talking about cuddles at the net. :) Does anyone think Youzhny is an especially good influence? What about someone like Roger Rasheed? I think Denis needs discipline.

monfed

Major Winner
Reactions

Because faker is a deeply insecure attention whore who will never be liked no matter how much he wins.

Reactions: the AntiPusher