Premier League 2018/2019

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Liverpool grab the points. 2-1.

Spurs had me worried in injury time - didn't need that drama. Liverpool deserved winners on balance.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
Are you at Wembley @Federberg?

Close game. Liverpool edging it on looking the more dangerous in the final third. 1-0 up at HT.
Nah.. I had things to do thankfully. We're not playing well at the moment. Think we're suffering from a serious World Cup hangover. Still.. sounds like we were robbed of a pen near the end. Even though your lot deserved the win

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Chelsea grab a late equalizer against the Red Mancs. Had to smile at that one even if I don't care for CFC much... but the lesser of two evils. City and Liverpool topping the table on 23 pts.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
RIP to the owner of Leicester City Vichai Srivaddhanaprabha who died in a helicopter disaster outside the stadium at the weekend.

My boys and I decided to watch the Andrea Bocelli performance when Leicester shocked world football by winning the premier league.

Nessun Dorma and Con te partirò (Time to say goodbye) both send shivers down my spine. Amazing songs. Bocelli tweaked the wording on Con te partirò for this rendition.

RIP Vichai Srivaddhanaprabha

Reactions: Federberg

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Mourinho...

I was in between a rock and a hard place for this. Historically hate Man U, but City are the rival title contenders. Great start for Liverpool, but I'm thinking City are going to lose 2 games max... it's too much to ask to win the PL.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
yeah maybe... I can't understand how we didn't at least draw with them. This is a really weird season for Spurs so far. We've been so poor, but at the same time we're right in there. If our 2nd half of the season is as good as last year we have a chance of winning the league which feels crazy to say, but look at the numbers I suspect we might have even outperformed City in the 2nd half

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
yeah maybe... I can't understand how we didn't at least draw with them. This is a really weird season for Spurs so far. We've been so poor, but at the same time we're right in there. If our 2nd half of the season is as good as last year we have a chance of winning the league which feels crazy to say, but look at the numbers I suspect we might have even outperformed City in the 2nd half

I don't think Spurs are winning the league mate. I'd giving City an 80% chance of doing it, with Liverpool and Chelsea on 10% each.

Bizarre thing is... this is a fantastic start for Liverpool and we're not even playing well. Lot's of upside to this team... but City are just too strong this year. I think Spurs are Top 4. Probably 4th. The good news? Man U and Arsenal won't qualify for the Champions League IMO.

I think you're hurt by the ground fiasco and the fact you didn't really strengthen your squad. You should be able to address both next season.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
I don't think Spurs are winning the league mate. I'd giving City an 80% chance of doing it, with Liverpool and Chelsea on 10% each.

Bizarre thing is... this is a fantastic start for Liverpool and we're not even playing well. Lot's of upside to this team... but City are just too strong this year. I think Spurs are Top 4. Probably 4th. The good news? Man U and Arsenal won't qualify for the Champions League IMO.

I think you're hurt by the ground fiasco and the fact you didn't really strengthen your squad. You should be able to address both next season.
ha! I never said we were going to win the league. I made that point to show how bizarre things are given how indifferent our form has been. I think we stand as good a chance as any to get top 4 (2nd being very much in play for us, until you guys actually finish above us, which I think has only happened once in 8 yrs I'm not writing us off yet :) ). City definitely look like the team to beat if only for the fact that they take care of the bottom feeders with more ease than anyone else. But I do certainly agree that Top 4 will comprise City, Liverpool, Chelsea and Spurs

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
One of my boys has just got into football big time since the Champions League final last year when I dragged him out of bed to watch (explaining the gravity of the situation!) ... so... I'm trying to bring him up to speed on clubs and stuff... and he starts talking about Chelsea...

So, I'm looking at Chelsea... with a pretty decent turnover, massive social media following... and thinking "How the fuck did that happen"...

Question to you is... Are Chelsea a bigger club than Spurs?

When I was lad (as the saying goes), The Big 5 were Liverpool, Man United, Arsenal, Spurs and Everton. Chelsea was a ping pong team going up and down between the old Div 1 and Div 2. Arsenal and Spurs were by far the biggest London clubs... I'd even put West Ham above Chelsea in those days.

Now clearly, Everton aren't a Big 5 club anymore, and City and Chelsea have gatecrashed the big club consortium... but are Chelsea really a bigger club than Spurs? Some Chelsea fans think they are a bigger club than Liverpool by the way... to which i can only laugh.

atttomole

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
One of my boys has just got into football big time since the Champions League final last year when I dragged him out of bed to watch (explaining the gravity of the situation!) ... so... I'm trying to bring him up to speed on clubs and stuff... and he starts talking about Chelsea...

So, I'm looking at Chelsea... with a pretty decent turnover, massive social media following... and thinking "How the fuck did that happen"...

When I was lad (as the saying goes), The Big 5 were Liverpool, Man United, Arsenal, Spurs and Everton. Chelsea was a ping pong team going up and down between the old Div 1 and Div 2. Arsenal and Spurs were by far the biggest London clubs... I'd even put West Ham above Chelsea in those days.

Now clearly, Everton aren't a Big 5 club anymore, and City and Chelsea have gatecrashed the big club consortium... but are Chelsea really a bigger club than Spurs? Some Chelsea fans think they are a bigger club than Liverpool by the way... to which i can only laugh.
The thing about big clubs is becoming more controversial these days. For example Man City are now considered a big club, even though they won one European Cup Winners Cup title. Same goes for PSG.

Football leaks revealed that the ‘big clubs’ wanted to a form a Super League, in part based on invitations for some clubs. You have Man U and PSG as part of the core of the group, with one title each, and on the other hand you have Ajax that have won four Champions leagues, Celtic/PSV/Porto with one or more and are not even under consideration. Not to mention the FFP issues that Man City and PSG are involved in.

Maybe big club these days mean having a lot of money. Based on history alone, I put Liverpool on top, then Man U, maybe Arsenal etc.

atttomole

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I have to say that Chelsea are in the process writing their history. They have a UCL and a Europa League title, so they may be a legitimate big 5 member now.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions

I think you have to consider Chelsea a power house club now. From a global perspective they are definitely bigger than Spurs now. If you're talking about fan base in the UK, particularly the South East then the ranking is... Spurs, Arsenal, West Ham then Chelsea. But the global market is a significant component of the assessment these days. I think that with the new stadium Spurs will grow strongly in the next decade or so. In fact I think that the gravitational pull of London will make life tough for all other clubs. It's just the sheer scale of historic achievement that will protect Liverpool and United. I'm not sure if City is sustainable in the long term, unless their rich owners keep sustaining them

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I think you have to consider Chelsea a power house club now. From a global perspective they are definitely bigger than Spurs now. If you're talking about fan base in the UK, particularly the South East then the ranking is... Spurs, Arsenal, West Ham then Chelsea. But the global market is a significant component of the assessment these days. I think that with the new stadium Spurs will grow strongly in the next decade or so. In fact I think that the gravitational pull of London will make life tough for all other clubs. It's just the sheer scale of historic achievement that will protect Liverpool and United. I'm not sure if City is sustainable in the long term, unless their rich owners keep sustaining them

Yeah, Spurs are a sleeping giant no doubt. Even Liverpool are a bit of a sleeper in some ways... considering they haven't won the title in 28 years. Agree on City, but I used to think the same about Chelsea. It looks like Chelsea would have a sustainable base if Abramovich withdrew. Like you, I couldn't really assume the same with City.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
The thing about big clubs is becoming more controversial these days. For example Man City are now considered a big club, even though they won one European Cup Winners Cup title. Same goes for PSG.

Football leaks revealed that the ‘big clubs’ wanted to a form a Super League, in part based on invitations for some clubs. You have Man U and PSG as part of the core of the group, with one title each, and on the other hand you have Ajax that have won four Champions leagues, Celtic/PSV/Porto with one or more and are not even under consideration. Not to mention the FFP issues that Man City and PSG are involved in.

Maybe big club these days mean having a lot of money. Based on history alone, I put Liverpool on top, then Man U, maybe Arsenal etc.

I think it's probably a combination of resources, fanbase and history.

I'd actually rank them as follows:

1 Man United (they've won 3 European Cups/Champions League (not one) and have the biggest fanbase)
2 Liverpool
3 Arsenal
4 Chelsea
5 Spurs
6 Man City (purely on the resources they have).
---
Then in a tier below, I'd have Everton, Newcastle and West Ham.
---

City would normally belong in that tier below IMO with Everton and Newcastle. I'd say Aston Villa should traditionally be in that group too but they aren't even in the Premier League these days.

Some might put Arsenal and Chelsea above Liverpool but I wouldn't. They might have bigger social media followings but Liverpool sell way more tickets when they go on pre-season tours. Plus Liverpool have a richer history.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I have to say that Chelsea are in the process writing their history. They have a UCL and a Europa League title, so they may be a legitimate big 5 member now.

Ha, I'd agree to be honest.

This little ditto might sadly be rendered to the history archives.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

This European Super League has been floated around for as long as I can remember. Personally, I'm dead against it. The spice of European Football is that you aren't playing these teams week in week out. If you are playing them constantly then it dilutes the effect.

Replace Liverpool/Everton twice a season with Liverpool/Bayern.... no thanks...

The whole thing is just about pure greed and would be self-defeating.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
This European Super League has been floated around for as long as I can remember. Personally, I'm dead against it. The spice of European Football is that you aren't playing these teams week in week out. If you are playing them constantly then it dilutes the effect.

Replace Liverpool/Everton twice a season with Liverpool/Bayern.... no thanks...

The whole thing is just about pure greed and would be self-defeating.
they can talk about it all they want, it would be financial suicide to implement it. People travel for champions league because it's an infrequent thing to do. Try telling them it's every other week, all season and see what you get. And I totally agree about local rivalries, get rid of that and see what happens.

Reactions: britbox

atttomole

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I think it's probably a combination of resources, fanbase and history.

I'd actually rank them as follows:

1 Man United (they've won 3 European Cups/Champions League (not one) and have the biggest fanbase)
2 Liverpool
3 Arsenal
4 Chelsea
5 Spurs
6 Man City (purely on the resources they have).
---
Then in a tier below, I'd have Everton, Newcastle and West Ham.
---

City would normally belong in that tier below IMO with Everton and Newcastle. I'd say Aston Villa should traditionally be in that group too but they aren't even in the Premier League these days.

Some might put Arsenal and Chelsea above Liverpool but I wouldn't. They might have bigger social media followings but Liverpool sell way more tickets when they go on pre-season tours. Plus Liverpool have a richer history.
I largely agree with you. It is a combination of things, but which ones count more? Liverpool has 5 UCL titles and lost many other finals. Not to mention how Liverpool could not play for 5 years after the Heysel disaster. Liverpool could have added at least a couple more titles when you consider the team they had between 1986 and 1991. Barnes. Beardsley, McMahon, Rush, Aldridge, Molby, Gillespie, Nicol to name just a few. Even in Italy they still debate whether Sacchi’s AC Milan would have won the two titles in 89 and 90 if Liverpool were present.

I know that Man U has 3 Champions Leagues. I made a mistake when I said Man U instead of Man City. It is PSG and Man City with 1 Cup Winners Cup title each. Man U benefited because they dominated during the internet/satelliteTV age and has the largest fan base as you say.

City are still out of the top 5 for me but that could change soon if they can win the UCL and if their FFP cover up issues are clarified. I think that the FFP cover ups involving PSG and Man City are very serious. A number of clubs like Inter, for example, have billionaire owners who can easily buy players from their own pockets but can not do so because of FFP. It looks from the leaks that City and PSG owners have been buying players from their own pockets via fake sponsorship deals, or secret deals with UEFA.

Last edited:

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Well, no English clubs could play in Europe for 5 years... it was 6 for Liverpool. The after effects of Heysel definitely set English football back a few years with regard to competitiveness in European competition when they came back in. Everton found themselves pretty hard done by... the had a great team in the mid-late 80s also.

I agree that the FFP is a complete joke. City and PSG have been gaming the system and just get a comparatively small fine.

Reactions: atttomole