Premier League 2020/2021

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
well that was a crazy weekend of premier league soccer! And Everton stays unbeaten.... wow!

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
1601899244080.png

• Haha
Reactions: britbox

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Yeah, I didn't see that coming... (for Liverpool) at least until I saw Adrian's name on the team sheet. Allison is out for weeks. Doesn't bode well.

Everton are playing well - Ancelotti is putting together a solid team.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
Thoughts on squads after this transfer window? I think Everton, Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal and Spurs have upgraded. Not so sure about either of the Manchester clubs. At least not in a way that makes them better. Obviously Liverpool only really needed to freshen up a little bit. If you win by more than 10 points, you typically don't need to do anything radical.

As for Spurs... I must say I was shocked. And it puts into context some of the stuff that went on in the Pochettino era. News finally coming out that he often rejected transfer suggestions. Specifically he didn't want either Asensio and Tielmans :facepalm: If that's true then that's on Poch not Levy. But the cynic in me wonders if that's just spin from Team Levy to defend his actions. One can't argue with what's been done in this window. A lot of the transfers weren't spectacular, but they were exactly what the squad needed. I have to say... that squad looks capable of challenging.. and I'm not saying that because of Bale. I don't know what he still has left. All of a sudden we seem to have top EPL quality in almost every position. Don't think we've had that... ever... in the premier league era. And we have a coach who knows how to win. Don't get me wrong... I'm not saying we'll even challenge. But let's just say I find myself optimistic in a way I never would have been before. Certainly more optimistic than anytime since the 2017 season...

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Agree on the squad upgrades. On Poch, you know I think he should have been given a war chest and time, and more importantly trust.

More importantly, the big news is the "Project Big Picture" proposed by Liverpool and Man United... My first instinct is that it's a power grab. My second instinct is that it's definitely a power grab, but with a nuanced look at the benefits - for the EFL mainly. It's a good deal for the EFL.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
Agree on the squad upgrades. On Poch, you know I think he should have been given a war chest and time, and more importantly trust.

More importantly, the big news is the "Project Big Picture" proposed by Liverpool and Man United... My first instinct is that it's a power grab. My second instinct is that it's definitely a power grab, but with a nuanced look at the benefits - for the EFL mainly. It's a good deal for the EFL.
that distribution to the EFL is a bribe. It's most definitely a power grab, and thankfully I don't think it'll get the votes in the EPL

As for Poch, yes of course he should have been given funds to spend in the two windows where Levy did nothing. But if you are suggesting he should have been given money after the CL loss? He actually was. But quite frankly, and I said it at the time, the moment he talked about leaving after the final if he won, I wouldn't have minded at all if Levy sacked him immediately. Yes I mean before the final

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
that distribution to the EFL is a bribe. It's most definitely a power grab, and thankfully I don't think it'll get the votes in the EPL

As for Poch, yes of course he should have been given funds to spend in the two windows where Levy did nothing. But if you are suggesting he should have been given money after the CL loss? He actually was. But quite frankly, and I said it at the time, the moment he talked about leaving after the final if he won, I wouldn't have minded at all if Levy sacked him immediately. Yes I mean before the final

Yeah, definitely a bribe... but the EFL is in a pretty bad place without gate receipts. Lots of clubs might fold this year without taking the loot on offer.

It'll be interesting to see how the other Prem league clubs vote. Plenty of lobbying behind the scenes no doubt.

An interesting conundrum might arise when one of the proposed preferential teams finish in the relegation zone. Highly unlikely for most of them, but a situation involving West Ham or Southampton is pretty feasible at some point.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Virgil Van Dijk probably out for 7 months with ACL injury. Horror challenge by Jordan Pickford. Liverpool on the bad end of some really dubious decisions.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
Virgil Van Dijk probably out for 7 months with ACL injury. Horror challenge by Jordan Pickford. Liverpool on the bad end of some really dubious decisions.
Yup that wasn't good at all. That VAR decision at the end, welcome to the party! There have been some shockers this year, and we've been on the bad end of a lot of them

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Yup that wasn't good at all. That VAR decision at the end, welcome to the party! There have been some shockers this year, and we've been on the bad end of a lot of them
You got a pretty good one with the Sterling goal last season though :)

I'm actually thinking the non-VAR system was better as a spectator. Nothing worse than jumping out of your chair for a goal and then wondering if its going to be disallowed. It takes some of the passion out of it.

Also glad to see the Project Big Picture has failed. Worried for the EFL though.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
You got a pretty good one with the Sterling goal last season though :)

I'm actually thinking the non-VAR system was better as a spectator. Nothing worse than jumping out of your chair for a goal and then wondering if its going to be disallowed. It takes some of the passion out of it.

Also glad to see the Project Big Picture has failed. Worried for the EFL though.
that's about the last time one went in our favour! We've had some real stinkers

Re: the EFL, I totally agree. Bojo is seriously making a case to be more incompetent that Theresa May and that takes some hard lifting. I think that the steps premier league clubs have taken to be safe are actually pretty decent. No one is talking about full capacity in stadia. It's particularly weird when people can to to restaurants now. But outdoor stadiums are a no no? That's just messed up

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
that's about the last time one went in our favour! We've had some real stinkers

Re: the EFL, I totally agree. Bojo is seriously making a case to be more incompetent that Theresa May and that takes some hard lifting. I think that the steps premier league clubs have taken to be safe are actually pretty decent. No one is talking about full capacity in stadia. It's particularly weird when people can to to restaurants now. But outdoor stadiums are a no no? That's just messed up
In Oz (at least here in Queensland), they started with 2,000 before raising the level incrementally. Even allowing a few fans has got to better than an empty stadium. It's not the same TV experience either. I did get into the Merseyside derby because it was a pretty good game, but the build-up was like a damp squib.

I've no idea what Bojo is doing about anything. I'm not sure he does either.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

Andy22

Major Winner
Reactions
Yeah, and I just saw Elvis buying fish and chips in a store down the road.
I will tell at the end of season I told you so win Chelsea the EPL they are clearly the most talented most in the Europe.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
I wouldn't be buying in as a fan mate. Stinks of insane greed. Not good timing for that either. They are in real danger of killing the golden goose.
Yeah it was pretty much killed off within days. Terrible idea.

I liked what Neville had to say about it...