4. Daniil Medvedev
6. Andrey Rublev
7. Novak Djokovic

Alternates:

1. Holger Rune
2. Hubert Hurkacz

Pala-alpitour-illus.jpg

The Tournament:

The ATP Finals is the season-ending championship of the ATP Tour. It is the most significant event in the annual ATP calendar after the four majors as it features the top-eight singles players and top-eight doubles teams based on their results throughout the season. The eighth spot is reserved, if needed, for a player or team who won a major in the current year and are ranked from 8th–20th. The tournament is sometimes referred to as a "fifth Grand Slam," due to the prestige that comes with qualifying for and winning the event.

The tournament uses a unique format not seen in other ATP Tour events: The players are separated into two groups of four, within which they each play three round-robin matches. The top two players from each group after the round-robin stage move on to the semifinals, followed by a final to determine the champion.

The tournament was first held in 1970, although it was then known by a different name. Roger Federer holds the record for the most singles titles with six, while Peter Fleming and John McEnroe jointly hold the record for the most doubles titles with seven.

In the tournament's current format, the champion can earn a maximum of 1,500 ranking points, if they win the event while staying undefeated during the round-robin stage.

About Turin:

Turin is a city and an important business and cultural centre in Northern Italy. It is the capital city of Piedmont and of the Metropolitan City of Turin, and was the first Italian capital from 1861 to 1865. The city is mainly on the western bank of the Po River, below its Susa Valley, and is surrounded by the western Alpine arch and Superga Hill. The population of the city proper is 847,287 (31 January 2022) while the population of the urban area is estimated by Eurostat to be 1.7 million inhabitants. The Turin metropolitan area is estimated by the OECD to have a population of 2.2 million.

Turin_Montage.png

Tourism Guide:

Nadalfan2013

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Draw has been made for Turin,

Red Group, Tsitsipas, Medvedev, Rublev, Djokovic
Green Group, Nadal, FAA, Ruud, Fritz.

Good draw for Rafa... Of course FAA is red hot right now indoors and Fritz has big weapons and has troubled Rafa, but I am confident that he will move on to the SF!

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
OTOH, Felix continues his struggle when faced with higher expectations. :-(:-(
Yeah it’s interesting. He’s still to make that breakthrough. I’m trying to think of a similar precedent, a player who has it but doesn’t use it on the biggest stage - until one day they wake up and kill it.

There’s probably been many players like this but he’s a mystery to me, to be honest. I’m hoping he makes it…

Tennis_Steve

Futures Player
Reactions
Court seems slower than the Next gen one, or perhaps it's just I feel more involved with the better camera angle?!
The next gen camera was far too far away and the court a bit shiney! Combined it seemed faster!

I can't believe they don't have auto-line calling though - cheapskates
We have to go with human error breaking the flow, again

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Court seems slower than the Next gen one, or perhaps it's just I feel more involved with the better camera angle?!
The next gen camera was far too far away and the court a bit shiney! Combined it seemed faster!

I can't believe they don't have auto-line calling though - cheapskates
We have to go with human error breaking the flow, again
I agree with your comments, the court does appear slower., which probably favored Ruud in his match against FAA

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
If Casper can develop his serve to what he showed today, he will be a tough out. This was one of his great serving days. Casper is deceptively quick too which keeps him in these points and consistent. He just really has to develop that backhand more and oooooof to anyone that plays him. I remain impressed with his matches even when he loses he has played cleanly with low unforced errors. He just has to generate more winners than he currently is with his game while maintaining that low unforced error count he usually has. The key to that is working on that backhand.

Reactions: Fiero425

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
If Casper can develop his serve to what he showed today, he will be a tough out. This was one of his great serving days. Casper is deceptively quick too which keeps him in these points and consistent. He just really has to develop that backhand more and oooooof to anyone that plays him. I remain impressed with his matches even when he loses he has played cleanly with low unforced errors. He just has to generate more winners than he currently is with his game while maintaining that low unforced error count he usually has. The key to that is working on that backhand.
Yep his back hand needs work, that was apparent in the final at the USO this year,

Tennis_Steve

Futures Player
Reactions
The lead up to the Nadal v Fritz match, the talking heads were saying that the altitude could help Rafa, bouncy..
That it's faster than previous WTFs (London).

Just how fast was the Next Gen??

Nadal early serves are fast enough.
Time will tell..