Nitto ATP Finals 2022, Turin, Italy

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
To be honest with you, I dont really see an upside to Nadal here. He looked out of sorts. We will see what the rest of his group offers up, but things definitely weren’t clicking.

• Haha
Reactions: Fiero425

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
Ridiculous is you saying he shuts down after RG and always has. Let's see...4 x USO, 5 x Canadian Open...DC, Madrid when it was indoor hards.

Blind loyalty I see! Over many yrs, that ain't a lot! Get over it babe! How many times' Rafa begged out of a season after the FO? Injury, losing? :thinking-face:

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Well i will say Rafa had his serving moments with some aces & service winners, but Taylor was smokin’ , even winning some extended rallies.

I was told Turin was going to be freezing cold, they lied !! Almost balmy conditions in the city, LOL.

Anyways here was one of Rafa’s aces:

Attachments

• 1098B86D-B33A-4734-814C-51661C353317.jpeg
    1098B86D-B33A-4734-814C-51661C353317.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 47

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Moxie,

If you are around after Rafa hit that BH overhead, sad to say he overall game went down

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Blind loyalty I see! Over many yrs, that ain't a lot! Get over it babe! How many times' Rafa begged out of a season after the FO? Injury, losing? :thinking-face:
You say something completely erroneous, and I'M the blinkered one? You started with "mentally shuts down" and now you've changed it to missing parts of the season with injury. So which is it? Because those are different things. Also, "it's like he doesn't care"? I'm fairly confident you are the only person on the planet that would accuse him of that, under any circumstances. He could easily have closed down his season and stayed home with the baby, so I'm pretty sure he cares, even though the indoor hards clearly don't suit his game, a point you conveniently ignore.

TheSicilian

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
I get so aggravated w/ that "Fed Prime" BS! The man won 3 more majors & got to #1 in his mid-30's! Get off! :yawningface:
:face-with-tears-of-joy: Maybe stop talking BS about Rafa's achievements if you can't handle Novax never beat Federer in his prime at Wimbledon:popcorn

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Haha
Reactions: Fiero425 and Moxie

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I think you were right to say that Fritz played a great match, served great, and Rafa was putting himself out of his comfort-zone to try to solve him. Credit to Fritz, who stayed cool throughout
Lets see how Rafa fares against FAA in next match on Tuesday, I also think a lot of Rafa's returns went straight into the hitting zone of Fritz

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
:face-with-tears-of-joy: Maybe stop talking BS about Rafa's achievements if you can't handle Novax never beat Federer in his prime at Wimbledon:popcorn
In fact, the first time Roger and Novak played at Wimbledon, it was the 2012 final, Federer was nearly 31, and Djokovic lost in 4. The next time they played there, it was the final in 2014, with Roger nearly 33, and it still took Novak 5 sets. Hell, it took Novak 5 sets in the 2019 final. That Rafa beat Roger in his prime at Wimbledon DOES matter.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
BTW, did anyone watch Ruud v. FAA this morning? I didn't see it. Surprising result given surface and current forms, I thought.

TheSicilian

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
In fact, the first time Roger and Novak played at Wimbledon, it was the 2012 final, Federer was nearly 31, and Djokovic lost in 4. The next time they played there, it was the final in 2014, with Roger nearly 33, and it still took Novak 5 sets. Hell, it took Novak 5 sets in the 2019 final. That Rafa beat Roger in his prime at Wimbledon DOES matter.
Yeah beating Federer at Wimbledon in 08 was imo Nadal's greatest achievement, Federer was practically invincible at Wimbledon around the time, he was on a 41 match winning streak at SW19 going into the 08 final!

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com

Novak causes his own heartburn, extending matches for lit'l reason other than bad luck and opponent's zoning! In that 2014 final, he was up at least one break and allowed Roger to steal that 4th set in a TB! Looking back, it's happened time and time again! I literally predicted "real time" that he'd break Nadal and try to serve out 2011 USO Final! As usually he got broken, lost set in TB, and had to win it in 4 sets! Both were barely standing upright after games could go 20 min., sets an hour and a half! That's why I'm not a true fan of either! Matches like that and subsequently their marathon contest at 2012 AO Final puts me off! It just goes on and on; towel off, bouncing the ball, taking a drink of water, scratching balls, & yanking on their junk! It took a while for me to get over it physically! I had stayed up all night to watch every moment and I didn't get to bed until 9 am! I literally had been awake for over 24 hours! :astonished-face: :fearful-face::yawningface::thinking-face:

Last edited:

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
Yeah, beating Federer at Wimbledon in '08 was IMO Nadal's greatest achievement. Federer was practically invincible at Wimbledon around the time. he was on a 41 match winning streak at SW19 going into the 08 final!

That was a great season for Nadal! Too bad it never seems to last! His 2009 was almost as bad as his malaise of 2015-16! Lucky he won '09 AO over Federer earlier that year! Soderling worked him over in Paris and Del Po finished him off at the USO! Dropping all 3 matches at the '09 YEC was just gravy for me! Nadal had a great 2010 w/ 3 Major wins! Lucky for some of us, Novak came into his own and put a stop to a dominance that might have solidified Nadal's GOAT-ness very early on! Novak won 6 straight over Rafa in 2011 so it was him no one else! Consecutive great seasons has eluded Rafa! I guess we should all feel fortunate to have seen all 3 of these guys! Fedalovic on equal pedestals? NOT! :face-with-hand-over-mouth::fearful-face::face-with-tears-of-joy:

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Novak causes his own heartburn, extending matches for no reason other than bad luck and opponent's zoning! In that 2014 final, he was up at least one break and allowed Roger to steal that 4th set in a TB! Looking back, it's happened time and time again! I literally predicted "real time" that he'd break Nadal and try to serve out 2011 USO Final! As usually he got broken, lost set in TB, and had to win it in 4 sets! Both were barely standing upright after games could go 20 min., sets an hour and a half! That's why I'm not a true fan of either! Matches like that and subsequently their marathon contest at 2012 AO Final puts me off! It just goes on and on; towel off, bouncing the ball, taking a drink of water, scratching balls, & yanking on their junk! It took a while for me to get over it physically! I had stayed up all night to watch every moment and I didn't get to bed until 9 am! I literally had been awake for over 24 hours! :astonished-face: :fearful-face::yawningface::thinking-face:
This post doesn't make any sense and is nothing more than a word-salad. If the opponent is "zoning," I guess that means they were playing better? Is that cheating? Typical sour grapes to complain about that, and "bad luck." What bad luck? You're talking about 2 matches that Novak won. Then you just go wandering on about long matches that bore you. That's not a response, it's a distraction because you don't have an answer to Novak coming in late to the party and scooping up when Roger and Rafa had spent a lot of capital already.