Miami

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
The men move on, into Murray's adopted parish, Miami, with him as defending champion.

Nole is on a streak, having won the last 3 MS tournaments. Come back, Boris, all is forgiven.

Rafa is on a relative slump, with an abject attempt to defend his title last week in Indian Wells. But he can regain what he lost, in Miami.

Roger's resurgence continued, despite the disappointment of defeat in the final. Murray looks way off the pace.

Has Stan peaked? I think so, and don't expect him to do much in this tournament, but that's probably why he'll be dangerous. Dolgo, Kevin Anderson, Isner, Raonic, all those beaming faces from the huge Indian Wells Selfie - don't expect any of them to be in the frame in Miami.

A Big 4 semifinal, anyone? I hope so...

Riotbeard

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Kieran said:
The men move on, into Murray's adopted parish, Miami, with him as defending champion.

Nole is on a streak, having won the last 3 MS tournaments. Come back, Boris, all is forgiven.

Rafa is on a relative slump, with an abject attempt to defend his title last week in Indian Wells. But he can regain what he lost, in Miami.

Roger's resurgence continued, despite the disappointment of defeat in the final. Murray looks way off the pace.

Has Stan peaked? I think so, and don't expect him to do much in this tournament, but that's probably why he'll be dangerous. Dolgo, Kevin Anderson, Isner, Raonic, all those beaming faces from the huge Indian Wells Selfie - don't expect any of them to be in the frame in Miami.

My guess is that stan has a great clay season. Hard to see him not capitalizing on a number 3 seeding on his best surface (Not saying he will win an ms, but consistently in the mix).

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Could be, but the expectations will be that he rubberstamps his major win with consistency and victory at other big events. I'm not sure I see it happening. Maybe he'll actually suffer a slump.

One guy I'm looking out for a response to his performance in Indian Wells is Dimitrov. I don't have a second favourite, but if I did, it might be him...

Riotbeard

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Kieran said:
Could be, but the expectations will be that he rubberstamps his major win with consistency and victory at other big events. I'm not sure I see it happening. Maybe he'll actually suffer a slump.

One guy I'm looking out for a response to his performance in Indian Wells is Dimitrov. I don't have a second favourite, but if I did, it might be him...

Good choice, but he is not in my stable of people I like other than novak.

Riotbeard

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Oh and Happy St. Patrick's day Kieran. Have one for me.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Cheers! :celeb:

Had a few last night and am only waking up now, although I've been dressed and active for three hours. Today will be bedlam in town, I'll march my own St Patrick's Day parade along the coast at Blackrock and have a "cure" in the village.... ;)

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
To Kieran, Front, and all who are of Irish decent!

lucky-stpatrick39s-day-hats.jpg

Beannachtaí na Féile Pádraig oraibh!

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Cheers, brother!

And I bet you're in great form, now that Nole looks steady again? :)

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Good quick preview, Kieran. As you know, Dimitrov IS my second favorite, so I hope to see him bounce back a bit in Miami. Not that he played poorly in Indian Wells - he lost to Gulbis, who is another "top ten talent, top 100 mentality" player that can play--and is playing--at a very high level when he focuses in. But we want to be seeing Grigor better his last year's results all around, and IW was the same (3R). At this point, he has to keep rising to give us hope of being an elite player; treading water won't suffice.

Federer's loss at IW was disappointing, but what his overall performance shows us is that he's still the best player in the world other than Rafa and Novak, and possibly a healthy Murray - and he's only a hair behind Novak. His level of play since Dubai has been the highest its been since late 2012. Maybe his more guarded fans won't admit it, but Roger has given us the glimmer of hope that maybe, just maybe, he can eek out that 18th Slam.

As for Rafa, I'm worried. Well, not worried but I don't see another reign of dominance like 2013. In a way, 2013 was Rafa's answer to Novak's 2011 and his own stumble in 2012. He seems to be a player that rises to his peak on energetic bursts of pure passion, and I just wonder how many of those bursts he has left. He's not one to maintain a mellow plateau of greatness; if you look at his career, its a series of peaks and valleys; there's really no extended period of a a few years of unmarred plateau. Don't get me wrong: Rafa is, in my opinion, still the best player in the world, but the difference this year is that he's beatable, so just as his 2013 was a mirror of Novak's 2011, so too might 2014 be a mirror of Novak's 2012, when the Serbian was the first among equals but not really better than the other Big Four, just the most consistent. Hey, for the rest of us it makes for more interesting tennis!

And Novak, well his rumored demise seemed silly and premature and largely fueled by fans who think that he can recapture 2011, as with 2011 we saw the real Novak Djokovic and everything since has been because of one problem or another. Sorry Nole fans, ain't gonna happen. I think we're going to look back at Novak in twenty years as the "other guy" during the Fedal era who was always 2nd or 3rd best, except for a peak in 2011 (2012 he was #1, but really not above Roger, Rafa for the first half and Andy for the second half of the year). No shame in that - and ultimately his fans should be happy or (at least) two years at #1, and I wouldn't be surprised if he challenges Rafa for #1 by year's end. But the point is, Novak was never destined, in my opinion, for a long reign of solitary dominance like Roger in 2004-07, or to be the greatest player in the world in repeating cycles of dominance like Rafa in '08, '10, and '13--but to be the player who fills the vacuum, who creeps in as Roger fades away, and in one of Rafa's valleys (although, to be fair, his dominance over Rafa in 2011 was legit and probably the only time that any player has ever dominated Rafa for an extended period of time).

In a way, Novak is more of an Ivan Lendl - who was truly great, and world number #1 four times - but didn't quite have the "greatest in the world" pizazz that Ivan's bookending greats McEnroe and Sampras had. Lendl's greatness was largely built around consistency, and so too is Novak's. Again, no shame in that - and he is no less great for it - but its a different kind of greatness, and perhaps one that receives less recognition, is not quite as "sexy," as the solitary champions like Federer or Nadal.

But I digress. All in all, it has been an exciting year so far, characterized by Wawrinka's surprise victory at the Australian Open. I imagine that we're in for some more surprises before the year is done.

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Kieran said:
Cheers, brother!

And I bet you're in great form, now that Nole looks steady again? :)

He was playing against the Shankmeister at the end of the match. He's got a long ways to go, but this is a beginning. :)

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Kieran said:

What do you nean by a big 4 semifinal?

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
El Dude said:
In a way, Novak is more of an Ivan Lendl - who was truly great, and world number #1 four times - but didn't quite have the "greatest in the world" pizazz that Ivan's bookending greats McEnroe and Sampras had. Lendl's greatness was largely built around consistency, and so too is Novak's.

:nono

Nice little dig there E.D. How old were you when Lendl was playing? I grew up watching Lendl - stilted, mechanical, seemingly devoid of personality - like a tennis automaton. Novak's got way more personality, style and fluidity to his game.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Great post, El Dude!

I agree about Grigor - he's got to move forward in larger leaps. Standing still or consolidating things isn't enough. He has everything but needs to be brave enough and consistent enough to challenge the top players everywhere. Along with his recent hunger, some arrogance and nastiness would help.

As for Rafa, he's not been convicning since he won the US Open. He threaded water to finish last year, garnering enough points to finish #1, and that seemed to be sufficient to him. This year, cruel bad luck ruined his Oz final chances - he will always rue that - but he's looked more jaded than anything so far. The top end of the field is too strong for anyone to rule untroubled, like Roger from 04-07, but Rafa will need to be energised on the dirt if he's going to kickstart his season.

One guy I'm concerned about is Murray. He still seems like he's recovering from the back. He has a habit of old where he grips his back during play, but I thought he looked stiff against Raonic, and I hope he's not still feeling any effects. It seems a long time now for him to be recovering.

Who to look out for this week, if last weeks young stars fade?

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
nehmeth said:
El Dude said:
In a way, Novak is more of an Ivan Lendl - who was truly great, and world number #1 four times - but didn't quite have the "greatest in the world" pizazz that Ivan's bookending greats McEnroe and Sampras had. Lendl's greatness was largely built around consistency, and so too is Novak's.

Nice little dig there E.D. How old were you when Lendl was playing? I grew up watching Lendl - stilted, mechanical, seemingly devoid of personality - like a tennis automaton. Novak's got way more personality, style and fluidity to his game.

I agree with this. Lendl played tennis like the pages of a tennis manual were being flicked through in his brain. Nole is much more fluid and inspired a player, relies less on brute force and intimidation. Also, far more personality.

But maybe El Dude means he's a great champ - but an interim champ - like Lendl? I would disagree with this too, because Lendl was no midway-point Champ, he was the real deal Boss of the courts. Nole is too, but Lendl dominated to a much greater extent...

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Kieran said:
nehmeth said:
El Dude said:

I agree with this. Lendl played tennis like the pages of a tennis manual were being flicked through in his brain. Nole is much more fluid and inspired a player, relies less on brute force and intimidation. Also, far more personality.

But maybe El Dude means he's a great champ - but an interim champ - like Lendl? I would disagree with this too, because Lendl was no midway-point Champ, he was the real deal Boss of the courts. Nole is too, but Lendl dominated to a much greater extent...

:snigger Obviously, by the description, you watched him more than you cared to as well!

Novak's carved out a nice niche for himself considering his career begins at the height of Fed's and coincides with Rafa's - two of the greatest to ever pick up a racquet.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Yeah, I suffered as I watched old Ivan. Especially whenever Connors wound him up in the early days, and sent him shrieking like a Federer on a hot tin roof.

In fairness to Lendl, he mastered Connors and Mac when he rose to maturity...

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
nehmeth said:

Not a dig at all! I wasn't comparing their styles of play, as should be clear from my post, but their type of dominance.

nehmeth said:
Novak's carved out a nice niche for himself considering his career begins at the height of Fed's and coincides with Rafa's - two of the greatest to ever pick up a racquet.

Well that's just exactly my point! After Novak won the AO in 2012, and his fourth out of five Slams, he looked to be solidifying his spot as the best player in the game and a third all-time great. His fans may be disappointed that he dropped back to merely mortal levels, but very few players ever maintain that level of dominance over more than a year or two.

Actually, what you say supports my comparison with Lendl, who began his career at the height of Borg's and Connor's, roughly coincided with McEnroe's (and Wilander's), and then was surpassed by Edberg, Becker, and Sampras. I've actually made the argument that Lendl may be the most underrated all-time great because there is no player, as far as I can tell, whose career coincided more with the careers of other greats, who had to face more greats at or near their peaks.

So again, no dig on Novak! There just seem to be all-time greats who aren't quite as recognized historically because they played at the same time as other, slightly greater players. Novak may be one to some extent, just as Lendl kind of was one. Another that comes to mind is John Newcombe, who rarely gets mentioned but is one of the few 7 Slam winners and, like McEnroe, was also a great doubles player. But Newcombe played at the end of Laver's and Rosewall's careers, and the early years of Connors and Borg, so is often forgotten among all-time greats.

Of course if Novak can win three or four more Slams, this may be a moot point.

[/i]
Kieran said:
As for Rafa, he's not been convicning since he won the US Open. He threaded water to finish last year, garnering enough points to finish #1, and that seemed to be sufficient to him. This year, cruel bad luck ruined his Oz final chances - he will always rue that - but he's looked more jaded than anything so far. The top end of the field is too strong for anyone to rule untroubled, like Roger from 04-07, but Rafa will need to be energised on the dirt if he's going to kickstart his season.

Yup, 'tis true. I guess my question relates to the "bursts." Rafa seems to rev up and just go hog-wild, destroying everyone, then suffering this or that set-back, and then the whole cycle starts again. I just wonder how many times he can continue doing that. That said, he's still the best! For now, at least...

Kieran said:
One guy I'm concerned about is Murray. He still seems like he's recovering from the back. He has a habit of old where he grips his back during play, but I thought he looked stiff against Raonic, and I hope he's not still feeling any effects. It seems a long time now for him to be recovering.

I've had the same thought - it does seem like a long time for him to be recovering. He just seems...frail, or without gusto, or something. Maybe he's worried about re-injuring his back and thus isn't playing all out.

Kieran said:
Who to look out for this week, if last weeks young stars fade?

Well, two players that are worth mentioning are Jiri Vesely and Dominic Thiem, both of whom had strong showings at Indian Wells. They're both still quite raw and a year or two away from making serious noise, but at least give us some hope for the next generation.

Is Jerzy playing in Miami or is he injured?

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
El Dude said:
Good quick preview, Kieran. As you know, Dimitrov IS my second favorite, so I hope to see him bounce back a bit in Miami. Not that he played poorly in Indian Wells - he lost to Gulbis, who is another "top ten talent, top 100 mentality" player that can play--and is playing--at a very high level when he focuses in. But we want to be seeing Grigor better his last year's results all around, and IW was the same (3R). At this point, he has to keep rising to give us hope of being an elite player; treading water won't suffice.

Federer's loss at IW was disappointing, but what his overall performance shows us is that he's still the best player in the world other than Rafa and Novak, and possibly a healthy Murray - and he's only a hair behind Novak. His level of play since Dubai has been the highest its been since late 2012. Maybe his more guarded fans won't admit it, but Roger has given us the glimmer of hope that maybe, just maybe, he can eek out that 18th Slam.

As for Rafa, I'm worried. Well, not worried but I don't see another reign of dominance like 2013. In a way, 2013 was Rafa's answer to Novak's 2011 and his own stumble in 2012. He seems to be a player that rises to his peak on energetic bursts of pure passion, and I just wonder how many of those bursts he has left. He's not one to maintain a mellow plateau of greatness; if you look at his career, its a series of peaks and valleys; there's really no extended period of a a few years of unmarred plateau. Don't get me wrong: Rafa is, in my opinion, still the best player in the world, but the difference this year is that he's beatable, so just as his 2013 was a mirror of Novak's 2011, so too might 2014 be a mirror of Novak's 2012, when the Serbian was the first among equals but not really better than the other Big Four, just the most consistent. Hey, for the rest of us it makes for more interesting tennis!

And Novak, well his rumored demise seemed silly and premature and largely fueled by fans who think that he can recapture 2011, as with 2011 we saw the real Novak Djokovic and everything since has been because of one problem or another. Sorry Nole fans, ain't gonna happen. I think we're going to look back at Novak in twenty years as the "other guy" during the Fedal era who was always 2nd or 3rd best, except for a peak in 2011 (2012 he was #1, but really not above Roger, Rafa for the first half and Andy for the second half of the year). No shame in that - and ultimately his fans should be happy or (at least) two years at #1, and I wouldn't be surprised if he challenges Rafa for #1 by year's end. But the point is, Novak was never destined, in my opinion, for a long reign of solitary dominance like Roger in 2004-07, or to be the greatest player in the world in repeating cycles of dominance like Rafa in '08, '10, and '13--but to be the player who fills the vacuum, who creeps in as Roger fades away, and in one of Rafa's valleys (although, to be fair, his dominance over Rafa in 2011 was legit and probably the only time that any player has ever dominated Rafa for an extended period of time).

In a way, Novak is more of an Ivan Lendl - who was truly great, and world number #1 four times - but didn't quite have the "greatest in the world" pizazz that Ivan's bookending greats McEnroe and Sampras had. Lendl's greatness was largely built around consistency, and so too is Novak's. Again, no shame in that - and he is no less great for it - but its a different kind of greatness, and perhaps one that receives less recognition, is not quite as "sexy," as the solitary champions like Federer or Nadal.

But I digress. All in all, it has been an exciting year so far, characterized by Wawrinka's surprise victory at the Australian Open. I imagine that we're in for some more surprises before the year is done.

A wee bit harsh on Novak re: 2011. That was no Rafa valley. Rafa was playing peak tennis, but Nole's peak was just a bit higher (or more specifically) peak Nole imposes a match up issue for peak Rafa. The guy was right there fighting against him in all the finals!

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
1972Murat said:
Is the main draw today? And has anybody kept up on the no shows?

Today? I don't think so. This event is similar in length as IW (1 week and a half) and IW draw came out on Tuesday, therefore I expect the same thing here.
I have not heard any pull outs thus far, what is important for the configuration of the draw at the top, Ferrer is listed for now.
If he doesn't pull out last minute, Roger will be seeded 5th, Andy 6th, so there could be big 4 matchups in QF once again.