Miami

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Del Potro's hilarious. Playing this week isn't going to be any different. He might be ok for a match or two but of course his wrist will start bothering him. He needs surgery at this stage. His right one seems fine since his surgery so what the hell is he waiting for with the left one?! Time is running out for his career otherwise.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
^ I'm rather with you, Front, though I don't know how we can diagnose what the left wrist needs better than his doctors. However, it clearly doesn't need to play tennis right now. I'm taking the notion that he's even talking about bailing as a sure sign that he will.

I was hoping he watched the women's final of IW, where the 32-year-old Pennetta won, after having had wrist surgery just 2 years ago.

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Front242 said:
Del Potro's hilarious. Playing this week isn't going to be any different. He might be ok for a match or two but of course his wrist will start bothering him. He needs surgery at this stage. His right one seems fine since his surgery so what the hell is he waiting for with the left one?! Time is running out for his career otherwise.

OK, time is not running out on his career. He is only 25, still the youngest in the top 10 and he has been that for a long time.
Of course, sooner or later he will have to fix his issue with his wrist.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
^ Yup, a really remarkable win for her. Feel bad for her that there are so many headlines about Radwanska's knee because frankly I think she'd have won either way she played so well. But wrist surgery for sportspeople seems to be very successful.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
herios said:
Front242 said:

OK, time is not running out on his career. He is only 25, still the youngest in the top 10 and he has been that for a long time.

He looks way older than 25 and is body his banged up more than many 5 years older so his age doesn't mean much if you ask me, plus you can't play tennis at elite level properly at all without 100% ok wrists. He's already missed out on competing properly the first 3 months almost of this year. Will he be ok for RG? Highly unlikely and then Wimbledon 2 weeks later. That's 6 months gone already and before you know it he's doing this on/off few matches here, few matches there nonsense and the whole year has gone and his wrist isn't any better. Then comes 2015 and he's still not fixed 'cos of no surgery. Time flies.

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Front242 said:
herios said:
Front242 said:

He looks way older than 25 and is body his banged up more than many 5 years older so his age doesn't mean much if you ask me, plus you can't play tennis at elite level properly at all without 100% ok wrists. He's already missed out on competing properly the first 3 months almost of this year. Will he be ok for RG? Highly unlikely and then Wimbledon 2 weeks later. That's 6 months gone already and before you know it he's doing this on/off few matches here, few matches there nonsense and the whole year has gone and his wrist isn't any better. Then comes 2015 and he's still not fixed 'cos of no surgery. Time flies.

He looked much older already as a teenager.

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Thus my "fearless" prediction that Del Potro will be done before he turns 30.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Front242 said:
herios said:
Front242 said:

I'm trying to be respectful of his doctors, but, TBH, I'm with you. I think he should do whatever it takes now, lose the clay season, and come back for grass and HC, where he has a better chance, anyway. He lost months to indecision about the right wrist, before he did surgery. It's bad luck, but how many more of his productive years does he want to lose?

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
I'm 39 and he looks older than me! And I could be his dad! He needs to have surgery on his left wrist before it's too late imo. Time waits for no one.

Iona16

Masters Champion
Reactions
Hmm Andy will need to battle through the first few rounds and then beat Djokovic in the quarters, Fed in the semis and Rafa in the final. Yep, Andy's got this in the bag.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Iona16 said:
Hmm Andy will need to battle through the first few rounds and then beat Djokovic in the quarters, Fed in the semis and Rafa in the final. Yep, Andy's got this in the bag.

Not an easy draw for Andy, for sure, and he's defending the title.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Iona16 said:

That's the spirit :cool:

Iona16

Masters Champion
Reactions
Moxie629 said:
Iona16 said:

Not an easy draw for Andy, for sure, and he's defending the title.

You can say that again Moxie. I guess the silver lining is that Andy and Rafa are in opposite sides of the draw. It's not much of a silver lining though.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Federer hasn't been great in Miami in the past if that's any consolation.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Front242 said:

Um, he won it in 2006, I believe.

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Moxie629 said:
Front242 said:

Um, he won it in 2006, I believe.

And 2005 when he defeated Nadal coming back from 0-2 sets:cool:

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
in 2013 Federer did not play Miami, in 2012 he lost early doors to Roddick. so this year he is due a 0-6, 0-6, 2nd rd defeat...

...or a title.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
^ This isn't 2005 or 2006 though is it. Anyone brave enough to rewatch Miami 2011 Nadal v Federer? One of the worst matches Federer has played. He lost to Roddick in 2012 and didn't play last year. So going by recent matches at Miami he hasn't been good at all. He was atrocious in 2011.

Edit: didn't even seen your post above re 2012 and 2013, JLLB. But Fed hasn't been good at Miami for years.

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I am giving thumbs down to the organizers, for handing out a WC to Baggy, who is receiving them from every event he entered this year and they were not a few and he gets kicked out almost every time in R1.
In the mean time, Thiem receives no WC and has to battle through qualifications, while he is certainly a big talent who actually has a future in this sport.
Luckily Thiem is doing once again a good job here like in IW, he passed the R1 defeating today R. Williams (USA): 7-6, 6-1.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
I agree completely. Bagman might as well retire his form is so crap right now. WC should be given to someone who might actually win a match.