Miami

Murat Baslamisli

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
www.drummershangout.ca
herios said:
1972Murat said:
Is the main draw today? And has anybody kept up on the no shows?

Today? I don't think so. This event is similar in length as IW (1 week and a half) and IW draw came out on Tuesday, therefore I expect the same thing here.
I have not heard any pill outs thus far, what is important for the configuration of the draw at the top, Ferrer is listed for now.
If he doesn't pull out last minute, Roger will be seeded 5th, Andy 6th, so there could be big 4 matchups in QF once again.

Is that like an overdose or something???;)

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
federberg said:
El Dude said:
...and in one of Rafa's valleys (although, to be fair, his dominance over Rafa in 2011 was legit and probably the only time that any player has ever dominated Rafa for an extended period of time).

A wee bit harsh on Novak re: 2011. That was no Rafa valley. Rafa was playing peak tennis, but Nole's peak was just a bit higher (or more specifically) peak Nole imposes a match up issue for peak Rafa. The guy was right there fighting against him in all the finals!

How is it harsh when that is not what I said at all?! Re-read the above, thus the "to be fair" part. I said his dominance over Rafa in 2011 was legit - and thus NOT a "Rafa valley."

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
1972Murat said:
herios said:
1972Murat said:
Is the main draw today? And has anybody kept up on the no shows?

Today? I don't think so. This event is similar in length as IW (1 week and a half) and IW draw came out on Tuesday, therefore I expect the same thing here.
I have not heard any pill outs thus far, what is important for the configuration of the draw at the top, Ferrer is listed for now.
If he doesn't pull out last minute, Roger will be seeded 5th, Andy 6th, so there could be big 4 matchups in QF once again.

Is that like an overdose or something???;)

Yeah, I am on it

:laydownlaughing

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Interesting opener for Rafa: Haase or Hewitt. Could be Stan in the semis. But is DelPo confirmed?

Federer has a sweet draw to the semis. Nole could face Murray in the quarters. I kinda wonder if Murray will be still around by then:he'll have Tsonga or Kohlschreiber in the quarters. Ordinarily, you wouldn't bet against him, but...

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
1972Murat said:
Ferrer set to meet Dimitrov at the round of 16. Murray has Tsonga, Nole has Robredo (gulbis possibly) and Rafa has the Triple F. Roger -Gasquet is a possibility.

I was looking forward to Ernie playing Nole at IW, but the giant rained (aces) on that parade. Hope we can see it in Miami.

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
The Miami draw is completely the opposite of the Indian Wells. Federer and Murray are on the bottom half while Berdych and Del Potro are on the top half.

Looking at Nadal's draw, Nadal should able to reach at least the semifinals. That's of course if he plays well. If he plays like he did in Indian Wells, I could see him lose before the Quarterfinals. He has a perfect draw to regain his form at least until the semifinals.

Meanwhile, the bottom half of the draw is brutal. Guys who are currently playing well and guys who have the potential to play great tennis are on that part of the draw. It will be interesting how this part of the draw pans out.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
1972Murat said:
The draw IS out actually. Here is the link.
http://www.atpworldtour.com/Share/Event-Draws.aspx?Year=2014&EventId=403&Draw=ms

Nadal-Delpo
Wawrinka-Berdych
Federer-Ferrer
Murray-Nole

Those are some awful potential matches! Murray v Djokovic is usually awful to watch. Ferrer is coming back from a leg injury and his matches against Federer are usually pretty one sided anyway even without him returning from injury. Nadal playing not great (maybe he'll be better in Miami though) v a guy with a backhand that offers nothing but slices due to his refusal to go for surgery on his left wrist and Berdych v Wawrinka is kinda whatever tennis viewing. Not very exciting matches :nono

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Another thing to point out is this is the last major hard court tournament before the Clay season starts. For players who want to gain some momentum before the Clay season, this is the tournament. It is the reason I said in the Indian Wells thread that a Djokovic win over Federer is an important confidence boost because Djokovic could potentially go the Clay season without a title.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Yeah, Nole winning IW won't help me sleep well at night. I hope he reunites with Boris ASAP!

An opportunity to finish the hards on a high more won't be lost on either of the top two. Rafa has never won it, he only gains points there, and he'll be eager to get a jump on everybody going into the clay.

Nole could win his FOURTH MS title in a row. That must be a record, right?

Murat Baslamisli

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
www.drummershangout.ca
OK, so Delpo is playing...I am not getting this maybe someone can explain; He pulled out of the last tournament, which was just last week, and now he is healed? Is his strategy about this injury going to be " Well, let's try it THIS week and see what happens"?

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Kieran said:
Yeah, Nole winning IW won't help me sleep well at night. I hope he reunites with Boris ASAP!

An opportunity to finish the hards on a high more won't be lost on either of the top two. Rafa has never won it, he only gains points there, and he'll be eager to get a jump on everybody going into the clay.

Nole could win his FOURTH MS title in a row. That must be a record, right?

If we are talking about consecutive MS titles, then it is a record set by Nadal last year (Madrid, Rome, Canada, and Cincy).

But, if we are talking about non-consecutive MS titles in which a player skip one tournament, then the record is 5 set by Djokovic himself in 2011. (IW, Miami, skip Monte Carlo, Rome, Madrid and Canada).

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Kieran said:
Thanks Rafanoy!

Nadal and Djokovic have won eight of the last nine MS titles. The only MS title they did not win was this one in which Murray won last year. Pretty dominant stuff from Nadal and Djokovic.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
That's an interesting stat. I think in 2005, Rafa and Roger won four each, and predictably, Paris was left out. Now Nole and Rafa have four each, with Miami up for grabs. History beckons, fellers!

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I am seeing 2 players of the current top 32 sitting out Miami (as they were in IW as well):
Youzhny and Paire.
Ferrer and Almagro are back.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
1972Murat said:
OK, so Delpo is playing...I am not getting this maybe someone can explain; He pulled out of the last tournament, which was just last week, and now he is healed? Is his strategy about this injury going to be " Well, let's try it THIS week and see what happens"?

This from the Argentine press:

http://canchallena.lanacion.com.ar/1673023-juan-martin-del-potro-aun-no-decidio-si-jugara-en-miami-pero-ya-conoce-a-los-rivales-y-su-cuadro

DelPotro has yet to decide if he'll play.

Murat Baslamisli

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
www.drummershangout.ca
I actually want to see a Hewitt-Nadal match, which will happen if Hewitt can win against Haase.
Their rivalry is interesting. Hewitt won the first 3 matches when Nadal was a pup and on hard courts. Then Nadal won pretty much the rest and most were on RG clay. Hewitt has a grass win due to Nadal retiring, but they have not played in 4 years. Obviously this would have been more interesting if Hewitt was a bit younger, but he is a crafty player that usually comes up with good tactics...

Maybe it will be a blow out, but I would like to see the old timer try to figure out things on court against Nadal.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
^ Can't see it being a blowout at all. More than Hewitt I'd like to see Haas play Nadal. The way he played against Federer at IW Haas could've beaten anyone. It was a brilliant performance and he was just unlucky Federer played so well. The forum had a hiccup there, yeah? Was trying to post and it crashed but seems my old msg was still pending which is handy.