Miami

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
bobvance said:
I honestly thought the match was more about Kei playing well than Federer playing poorly. Fed wasn't redlining his game, but in the second and third sets Kei was returning really well, defending, and hitting really deep shots with fewer errors. Sure if Federer was serving better and played cleaner he would have probably pulled it out, but I think Kei deserves credit.

No doubt Kei deserves credit but Fed deserves a size 12 steel toe capped boot in the nuts more than that!

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
federer couldn't get his first serve in..i was thinking "oh just spin the freaker in", after a while that upset his smooth play and the errors started hoving into view in other aspects of his play.

kei did play really well, I thought he would fall away but he did not.

Riotbeard

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Front242 said:
bobvance said:
I honestly thought the match was more about Kei playing well than Federer playing poorly. Fed wasn't redlining his game, but in the second and third sets Kei was returning really well, defending, and hitting really deep shots with fewer errors. Sure if Federer was serving better and played cleaner he would have probably pulled it out, but I think Kei deserves credit.

No doubt Kei deserves credit but Fed deserves a size 12 steel toe capped boot in the nuts more than that!

Fed definitely lost the plot and should have won this one, but a lot of lesser players, I think would have let roger get away with mediocrity. It happens a lot.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
^ Yeah, doesn't help that Nishikori is one of the cleanest hitters out there along with the likes of Davydenko. Not too many donations of slop. The poor serving throughout from Fed was completely out of the blue given how he'd been all week. It's very disappointing for him and his fans. Still, he's number 4 now and gained points. Onto clay season.

19USC66

Club Member
Reactions
Front242 said:
^ Yeah, doesn't help that Nishikori is one of the cleanest hitters out there along with the likes of Davydenko. Not too many donations of slop. The poor serving throughout from Fed was completely out of the blue given how he'd been all week. It's very disappointing for him and his fans. Still, he's number 4 now and gained points. Onto clay season.

This was one of those get out of Dodge matches Fed plays. He had had enough tennis and was ready to go home.

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Riotbeard said:
Front242 said:
bobvance said:

Fed definitely lost the plot and should have won this one, but a lot of lesser players, I think would have let roger get away with mediocrity. It happens a lot.

Well, there is actually a bunch who last year decided they had enough of the role of "bending over" in front of al mighty Roger.
Kei actually never belonged to the "bending over" crowd, he was gutsy early on thus his winning record against Roger.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Easy to be gutsy when you can see your opponent is playing like a pile of old toss (From 4-3 2nd set, clearly Fed played fantastic apart from his serve in set 1). In fact, more players should have the belief to follow through when this happens. Andujar should've beaten Nadal at Rio, Cilic should've beaten Murray at the 2012 US Open after being up a set and 5-1 and the way he folded was a total disgrace. So many more examples of players not capitalizing. Kei did and well done to him for that, but he sure got a lot of help.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Cheers pavlik89, hopefully those who missed it yesterday will watch it 'cos people commenting on the match without watching it gets tiresome.

pavlik89

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWc5mWYF0-Q[/video]

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Kiu said:
What happened in the semis is really embarrassing for ATP.

I don't know about that, but it's disastrous for the tournament.