FIFA World Cup 2022

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
The thing I don't understand is that it was so obviously a corrupt decision to choose Qatar, and then the corruption was exposed, and still FIFA went forward with the decision, as if nothing. I know some people has chosen to boycott. (I think you said you were, Kieran.) But also even some who write about it, etc. Particularly for human rights reasons. Then all these people who have plans to go, or are there, promised they could drink a beer, and now that changed last minute. Not really a small thing. I mean, sports and beer. If you think the crowds are unruly when they drink too much, how about when they don't get to drink, at all? They're going to be grumpy going in.
I’m not boycotting it so much as, I don’t have any enthusiasm for it. I think it’s a disgrace from footballing reasons that it’s in Qatar, and the human rights record of that country should have made it a six inch putt that it gets removed from them - but it hasn’t.

I don’t believe in politics mixing with sports, except in the most extreme cases where it necessarily has to. This is one of the reasons - only one of them - why I’m opposed to athletes taking the knee, promoting pride week, being forced to promote pride week, or ripping their football jerseys off to reveal a shirt underneath that promotes some local political cause in their countries. Politics is poisoning everything nowadays. People are doing it wrongly.

But why wasn’t it taken off Qatar, given that 6000 people have allegedly died, and that their religious ethos is too prohibitive to accommodate the influx of so many people with western values? And given that it’s not a country that’s welcoming to football fans from footballing countries, who attend and intend to enjoy the event as they would if it was a great unique football family holiday? That’s the question, and I would say, it’s because the corruption in FIFA allied with an ambitious (and perhaps cynical? Opportunistic?) ideal which says they want to promote and encourage football to spread everywhere. I remember when the World Cup was given to America in 1994, people were aghast and wondering why, but it was to promote the game there, and I would say it was proven success.

But also in the west we have this pompous idealism that states that if we just expose tyrants and bullies to our great successful democratic sporting jamborees, it might encourage them to be more open, inclusive, democratic, etc. This has never happened, however, in fact it only makes them more brazen, and we don’t need to go as far back to the Hitler games to find proof.

The alcohol issue is a big one. There are people who sniff and ask, why do they need alcohol to enjoy the football? To explain this of course would take a while with a person like that, best just to ask why they ask that question. I wonder if alcohol sale is banned in the tennis grounds in Doha when the tennis tournament is on. But football fans will face more than alcohol bans in Qatar. I look forward to seeing how the lads and lasses in their skimpy football supporters costumes get on. Especially the Brazilian honeys. Usually they create a little glamour and laughter, but they’re not in a place that will allow anything that smacks of vulgarity. This is also why Qatar shouldn’t have the World Cup - it isn’t fair on them, in a way. They can’t help but make themselves look terrible to people from countries where freedom to express themselves is taken as read. But that’s only a small reason - football tournaments like this shouldn’t go to countries that pay lip service to football. The United States is a huge sporting country, football was already there and the potential was still huge…

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
See how England bottled it? They did the empty headed knee gesture, because it’s free way of looking virtuous, but a yellow card for wearing the fancy armbands was too great a martyrdom for them to risk… :facepalm:

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Money generally overrides principle. I saw Gary Neville getting roasted on "Have I got news for you?" over going there to commentate on Qatari TV. Quite funny. Everyone is full of virtue as long as someone else is paying the price. If you have to pay the price yourself... then most immediately become far less "virtuous". Nothing new here really... same stuff happened in the 1980 and 1984 Olympics. Not to mention the sporting tours of South Africa in the height of apartheid.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Money generally overrides principle. I saw Gary Neville getting roasted on "Have I got news for you?" over going there to commentate on Qatari TV. Quite funny. Everyone is full of virtue as long as someone else is paying the price. If you have to pay the price yourself... then most immediately become far less "virtuous". Nothing new here really... same stuff happened in the 1980 and 1984 Olympics. Not to mention the sporting tours of South Africa in the height of apartheid.
Exactly. Neville looked shifty as feck there. I’ll be curious to see how he is protest is going. Beckham is the same. A well fed slab of hopelessness and idiocy…

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
The symbolism at the ceremonies of these events is meaningful.

I stopped after about 90 seconds, brother. If there’s a reason to detest Hollywood actors it’s when they talk politics, or talk without a script. But sometimes they mouth a script that’s poop on a lollipop stick. WTF is Morgan Freeman up to? Swallowing the poop from the Qatari bloke, and uttering his own bland Hollywood idiocy. “We were taught to celebrate differences,” lies the little bloke, and Morgan Freeman began to profoundly spew some inanity and I switched it off, sorry…

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
BA3F4E44-3183-4ECA-A666-F51E8B6AE474.jpeg

See, in case anyone thinks I’m playing politics by attacking taking the knee virtue signalling nonsense, take a look at this photo. Iran players refused to sing their own national anthem before the match today. So while English players exposed the nonsense behind spoilt wealthy western athletes pretending to be MLK, Iranian footballers may be killed when they get home, but they’re committed to a principle. The difference is gigantic…

Reactions: TheSicilian

TheSicilian

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
Gosh they are game if they wear onelove rainbow armbands lol!....btw apparently if you have one of the private suites in the stadium you can drink alcohol lol!
They didn't wear the armbands in the end... I saw that about the alcohol it's a ridiculous rule :lol6:

TheSicilian

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
The thing I don't understand is that it was so obviously a corrupt decision to choose Qatar, and then the corruption was exposed, and still FIFA went forward with the decision, as if nothing. I know some people has chosen to boycott. (I think you said you were, Kieran.) But also even some who write about it, etc. Particularly for human rights reasons. Then all these people who have plans to go, or are there, promised they could drink a beer, and now that changed last minute. Not really a small thing. I mean, sports and beer. If you think the crowds are unruly when they drink too much, how about when they don't get to drink, at all? They're going to be grumpy going in.
Tbh I think the no alcohol isn't too much off a problem, not everyone who goes to football drinks, I have been to 50 matches or so in the last decade and hardly ever see anyone in the crowd or even outside the stadium drunk. Also, I'm pretty sure they water the alcohol down at football :face-with-tears-of-joy: Probably a lot of people go for drinks before and after, but during the game alcohol is banned in the seats in most stadiums. A few years ago, we had access to a posh box at Wembley and even there you can't have alcohol in your seat you had to go inside to drink :astonished-face:

Reactions: Moxie

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
They didn't wear the armbands in the end... I saw that about the alcohol it's a ridiculous rule :lol6:
Yes I saw they didnt wear armbands, I read if they did they would get a 'yellow card" is that for real?
Well if you have money you can get anything these days, eg alcohol, though you have to pay a lot of money to get a private suite at the stadium, probably throw it in for free lol! so they should...

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Tbh I think the no alcohol isn't too much off a problem, not everyone who goes to football drinks, I have been to 50 matches or so in the last decade and hardly ever see anyone in the crowd or even outside the stadium drunk. Also, I'm pretty sure they water the alcohol down at football :face-with-tears-of-joy: Probably a lot of people go for drinks before and after, but during the game alcohol is banned in the seats in most stadiums. A few years ago, we had access to a posh box at Wembley and even there you can't have alcohol in your seat you had to go inside to drink :astonished-face:
That may well be so, but I agree with Kieran that it's a culture clash in more than a few ways, and they changed the rules on the alcohol at the 11th hour. People may not drink loads at the matches, but they would want to go to something like a pub with mates before/after, or have wine with dinner, etc. People were planning one kind of holiday, and they're now getting a dry one. Considering how much they must be paying to go, I think it's unfair. But that's only the smallest quibble, compared to how many lives were lost constructing stadiums in the desert, and how blatantly corrupt it was to award to Qatar in the first place, and yet nothing changed when it was exposed.

TheSicilian

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
Yes I saw they didnt wear armbands, I read if they did they would get a 'yellow card" is that for real?
Well if you have money you can get anything these days, eg alcohol, though you have to pay a lot of money to get a private suite at the stadium, probably throw it in for free lol! so they should...
Yeah, booked if they wear the armband it's a ridiculous decision. True it's like only the rich can drink :astonished-face: We knew someone who had access to a private box at Wembley a few years ago, they are great!! I think I went about 6 times as my team was playing there for a while, while they built a new stadium, it was very luxurious, we actually had the whole 12 seat box to ourselves most matches! One night we had a free bar the waiter said whatever doesn't get drunk is wasted, so the owner of the box definitely wasted his money as I was the only one who took advantage of the free drink :face-with-tears-of-joy:

TheSicilian

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
Shock result as Saudia Arabia come from behind to beat Argentina 2-1 :astonished-face: :fearful-face::clap::lol6: Apparently that was Argentinas first defeat in over 3 years!

Reactions: Kieran

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
That was a stunner. I loved it. The Messi fans will be out in force as usual to defend legacy, but who cares. What a result!!

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
re: the protests, gotta be honest I'm so over it. It's the World Cup. It's about football for me, first and foremost. I'm tired of all this political protesting at everything. Fuck all of that. Cancel the tournament if you want, but if you go ahead with it then let's get to the sport of it all. By the way there's a ton of shite that goes on behind the scenes at all of these events. To start taking a moral position because it's in the Middle East is just cultural imperialism to me. I'm sure someone could come up with legitimate moral arguments against all of these things. I think that a lot of folks are bummed at the timing of this, but at some point this tournament will have to be held in West Africa, and that will have to be in January. So buckle up, suck it up and enjoy the sport I say

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Shock result as Saudia Arabia come from behind to beat Argentina 2-1 :astonished-face: :fearful-face::clap::lol6: Apparently that was Argentinas first defeat in over 3 years!
Have we side- slipped into a parallel universe? Azarenka and Schwartsman were in the stands watching, supporting Argentina.
Apparently Azarenka said it was her life's dream to see Messi play at the world cup in 2022

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
I’m not that mad about Messi because he played for Barcelona, and I detest Barcelona and I detest Pep, so I’m delighted with this result..

:clap: :clap:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Aussie's started well until.........France decided to show off with a superb goal 1all
My husbands friend Adam is at this game, sad to say he wont be able to drink to drown his sorrows later lol!
Make that 2-1 France..half time.
France 4-1....Aussie were taking on the defending champions, we need more strike power quite frankly
Not over yet for the Aussie team

Last edited: