FIFA World Cup 2022

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Qatar has banned the sale of alcohol in the stadiums during the World Cup, creating a breach of contract with Budweiser which is worth $75m. The tournament starts on Sunday. I can’t help but feel that there will be more 11th hour interference from the Qataris that will be detrimental to the event…

TheSicilian

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
Shocking about the filming, I have heard similar some US journalist was made to delete some photos & video. That's ridiculous about the alcohol does that mean they have to pay the beer company $75 million :astonished-face: I bet they had no intention of ever selling it, false advertising :face-with-tears-of-joy:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/f...taggering-900-KILOS-meat-World-Cup-bases.html :popcorn

I think I might start the painini sticker collection :lol6: They have an online official app that is free!! I used to love the football sticker collections when I was a kid :D

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Shocking about the filming, I have heard similar some US journalist was made to delete some photos & video. That's ridiculous about the alcohol does that mean they have to pay the beer company $75 million :astonished-face: I bet they had no intention of ever selling it, false advertising :face-with-tears-of-joy:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/f...taggering-900-KILOS-meat-World-Cup-bases.html :popcorn

I think I might start the painini sticker collection :lol6: They have an online official app that is free!! I used to love the football sticker collections when I was a kid :D
A friend of my husband is flying to Qatar today from Sydney for a few days at the World Cup, being an Aussie he will be sad to know they banned beer lol! I also read and I dont know if this is true or not, they had 'rent a fans' before the World Cup the other day, because they main city look bare and deserted....Rent a Fan...now thats an idea lol!

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
A friend of my husband is flying to Qatar today from Sydney for a few days at the World Cup, being an Aussie he will be sad to know they banned beer lol! I also read and I dont know if this is true or not, they had 'rent a fans' before the World Cup the other day, because they main city look bare and deserted....Rent a Fan...now thats an idea lol!
That’s right, and I just read that the Tented fans want more money. Bizarre, isn’t it?

• Haha
Reactions: AnonymousFan

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
  • Haha
Reactions: tented

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
The FIFA President has sorted out all the controversies, but if you think that “Infantino” is merely his name, you would be incorrect. It’s also an accurate description of his thought process. There are so many wrong things about what he said, I don’t even need to point them out. They pile up on top of each other. And they’re ugly.

Fifa president Gianni Infantino has accused the West of "hypocrisy" in its reporting about Qatar's human rights record on the eve of the World Cup.

Said Gianni, stuffing another brown envelope into his pocket.

Reactions: Kieran

TheSicilian

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
You will have to let us know how he gets on! I posted an article about that lol fake fans are embarrassing, even if the people don't like football, it must be exciting to host such a huge event in their country to not need fake fans :face-with-tears-of-joy:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
You will have to let us know how he gets on! I posted an article about that lol fake fans are embarrassing, even if the people don't like football, it must be exciting to host such a huge event in their country to not need fake fans :face-with-tears-of-joy:
Yes I will let you know how he gets on, he invited my husband to go, though my husband is not a football fan, gee he could have done a lot of duty free shopping for me lol!...I laughed out loud when I read they had to have "rent a fan's for the world cup

• Haha
Reactions: TheSicilian

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I worked on the 2018 Commonwealth Games and they were struggling to give away tickets for the Closing Ceremony. Half of the Gold Coast had left town and gone on holiday somewhere else.

It'll be interesting to see how this event pans out, and how many Europeans and South Americans actually make the trip.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
I worked on the 2018 Commonwealth Games and they were struggling to give away tickets for the Closing Ceremony. Half of the Gold Coast had left town and gone on holiday somewhere else.

It'll be interesting to see how this event pans out, and how many Europeans and South Americans actually make the trip.
Yeah, that’s going to be very interesting. It’s a bad time of the year, among many other reasons, but of course there’s the safety aspect, and cultural stuff that’s incompatible with our way of life. I’m much more interested in this tournament from the perspective of all the potential pratfalls and horror shows than I am about the football, but for fans who want to sport their country’s team, it’s a poison chalice.

Reactions: Moxie

TheSicilian

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
Apparently the Bbc refused to show the opening ceremony in favour of talking about the human rights issues :facepalm: But they are all happy to go to Qatar and take the :heavy-dollar-sign::heavy-dollar-sign::heavy-dollar-sign::lol6:

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Apparently the Bbc refused to show the opening ceremony in favour of talking about the human rights issues :facepalm: But they are all happy to go to Qatar and take the :heavy-dollar-sign::heavy-dollar-sign::heavy-dollar-sign::lol6:
Yeah, it’s a lip service, virtue signalling gesture. I suppose when the match was about to begin the presenter smiled and said, “Let’s go over to our commentators in the mass grave of dreams, Vincent Price and Peter Lorre!”

TheSicilian

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
Yeah, it’s a lip service, virtue signalling gesture. I suppose when the match was about to begin the presenter smiled and said, “Let’s go over to our commentators in the mass grave of dreams, Vincent Price and Peter Lorre!”
Disgraceful aren't they, the least they could do is donate wages they don't need to the migrant workers families... Imo if they take the blood money, they have no right to complain. A mass boycott by the media and tv programs on why they did it etc is a proper statement. But it's much easier to complain on tv and get paid to do it. Get ready for more drama tomorrow as England will take the knee while Iran are planning a protest :astonished-face:

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Disgraceful aren't they, the least they could do is donate wages they don't need to the migrant workers families... Imo if they take the blood money, they have no right to complain. A mass boycott by the media and tv programs on why they did it etc is a proper statement. But it's much easier to complain on tv and get paid to do it. Get ready for more drama tomorrow as England will take the knee while Iran are planning a protest :astonished-face:
Exactly. Now I’m not a fan of players taking the knee before matches - in fact, I’m totally opposed to it - but if it pisses off the Qataris, then I hope they take the knee then snog each other in the centre circle before the match.

But you’re right, the BBC could have chosen to ignore the World Cup, but we all know why they didn’t…

:heavy-dollar-sign::heavy-dollar-sign::heavy-dollar-sign:

Reactions: TheSicilian

TheSicilian

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
England are waiting to see if they can wear the onelove rainbow armbands apparently they could get booked for wearing them :fearful-face: Do you think everyone in Qatar would be offended or just the people running the country?

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
England are waiting to see if they can wear the onelove rainbow armbands apparently they could get booked for wearing them :fearful-face: Do you think everyone in Qatar would be offended or just the people running the country?
Gosh they are game if they wear onelove rainbow armbands lol!....btw apparently if you have one of the private suites in the stadium you can drink alcohol lol!

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
The thing I don't understand is that it was so obviously a corrupt decision to choose Qatar, and then the corruption was exposed, and still FIFA went forward with the decision, as if nothing. I know some people has chosen to boycott. (I think you said you were, Kieran.) But also even some who write about it, etc. Particularly for human rights reasons. Then all these people who have plans to go, or are there, promised they could drink a beer, and now that changed last minute. Not really a small thing. I mean, sports and beer. If you think the crowds are unruly when they drink too much, how about when they don't get to drink, at all? They're going to be grumpy going in.