FIFA World Cup 2022

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Anybody interested this time around? For me, the amount of construction workers dying on site while building the stadiums should have been enough to take it away from Qatar. There are so many issues with this World Cup that it’s hard to find an argument in favour of it.

I don’t think I’ll watch it. I don’t feel any buzz from football fans towards it.

Anyone looking forward to it?

Reactions: TheSicilian

TheSicilian

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
I'm looking forward to it. I have had enough of the Premier League this season the inconsistency and corruption from the refs and var is destroying the game. 6 weeks off football with no English refs bring it on!

Also, with no Italy again I don't really mind who wins...

As for the location and problems in Qatar just disgraceful, should never be allowed to host it :face-with-symbols-on-mouth:

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
I'm looking forward to it. I have had enough of the Premier League this season the inconsistency and corruption from the refs and var is destroying the game. 6 weeks off football with no English refs bring it on!

Also, with no Italy again I don't really mind who wins...

As for the location and problems in Qatar just disgraceful, should never be allowed to host it :face-with-symbols-on-mouth:
Leeds are my team, was hoping we’d hit the break with a win. It’s like visiting a madhouse, checking the Leeds live score.

It’s crazy that they’re hosting this. It’s an anti-football decision. A killer. Totally going against the traditions of the sport too, halting the season in Europe midway.

Having said that, I hope Spain win it, and if not them then Brazil. It’s about time it went back to South America again…

TheSicilian

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
Leeds are my team, was hoping we’d hit the break with a win. It’s like visiting a madhouse, checking the Leeds live score.

It’s crazy that they’re hosting this. It’s an anti-football decision. A killer. Totally going against the traditions of the sport too, halting the season in Europe midway.

Having said that, I hope Spain win it, and if not then then Brazil. It’s about time it went back to South America again…
Do you not watch the matches? I missed Spurs v Bournemouth a few weeks ago think that was the first game I missed in around 5 years :lol6: Luckily most matches are on tv these days otherwise I spend half the match refreshing frozen streams :banghead:

Yeah, it's very strange having a winter World Cup hopefully the first and last...

I wouldn't mind Brazil winning, or Argentina it would be great for Messi to win the Cup!

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Do you not watch the matches? I missed Spurs v Bournemouth a few weeks ago think that was the first game I missed in around 5 years Luckily most matches are on tv these days otherwise I spend half the match refreshing frozen streams :banghead:

Yeah, it's very strange having a winter World Cup hopefully the first and last...

I wouldn't mind Brazil winning, or Argentina it would be great for Messi to win the Cup!
I don’t have a television, or an app that shows the matches, I get highlights. You’rea spurs fan, right? Let me tell you, hatred is real! :nono: :lol6:

• Haha

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Anybody interested this time around? For me, the amount of construction workers dying on site while building the stadiums should have been enough to take it away from Qatar. There are so many issues with this World Cup that it’s hard to find an argument in favour of it.

I don’t think I’ll watch it. I don’t feel any buzz from football fans towards it.

Anyone looking forward to it?
I can't believe how many people died with all safety precautions nowadays in all industries. Obviously it doesn't apply when building stadiums in a rush.

There is a lack of buzz due to one main reason: WC is played in autumn instead of summer. That just seems wrong for so many reasons, but main one is that it doesn't feel like holidays and it's kind of no time to engage fully just for football. When the event is in the summer there is this usual vibe, the school is finished, people go to beach and watch football every day for 3 weeks or so.

Still I have high expectaions for Croatian team, the guys are very solid, but it is hard to predict much, when it comes to knockout phase matches can go either way.

And with regards to premier league, for me it is the only football league worth watching. Just yesterday when Man City lost to Brentford it was a major upset. I like premier league for how unpredictable it is and just the quality of play in general.

But they need to do something with VAR, it is going too far on many occasions. We will witness the same in a next WC unfortunately.

TheSicilian

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
I can't believe how many people died with all safety precautions nowadays in all industries. Obviously it doesn't apply when building stadiums in a rush.

There is a lack of buzz due to one main reason: WC is played in autumn instead of summer. That just seems wrong for so many reasons, but main one is that it doesn't feel like holidays and it's kind of no time to engage fully just for football. When the event is in the summer there is this usual vibe, the school is finished, people go to beach and watch football every day for 3 weeks or so.

Still I have high expectaions for Croatian team, the guys are very solid, but it is hard to predict much, when it comes to knockout phase matches can go either way.

And with regards to premier league, for me it is the only football league worth watching. Just yesterday when Man City lost to Brentford it was a major upset. I like premier league for how unpredictable it is and just the quality of play in general.

But they need to do something with VAR, it is going too far on many occasions. We will witness the same in a next WC unfortunately.
Croatia have some great players! I have been impressed with Perišić in the premier league, his set piece delivery is very good :)

As for Var I don't think it will be a problem. I think it's a huge problem in the Premier League for a number of reasons.... Luckily No English refs have been hired for the world cup :clap: The Euros didn't have much VAR controversy last year so hopefully the world cup will be the same!

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Croatia have some great players! I have been impressed with Perišić in the premier league, his set piece delivery is very good :)
Perisic is a really good player, leaves his heart on the field. Croatia has a great team for such a small country (only 4 million people).

England has too, I wouldn't like us to meet them again in a knockout phase. There would probably be a revenge for the loss in 2018.

TheSicilian

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
Perisic is a really good player, leaves his heart on the field. Croatia has a great team for such a small country (only 4 million people).

England has too, I wouldn't like us to meet them again in a knockout phase. There would probably be a revenge for the loss in 2018.
England has a good team, but the manager is not so great. I feels like he quite often picks players by name instead of form. Since the Euros final they haven't really had any good results. I think the earliest England could play Croatia is the SF, I doubt England will make it that far.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
England has a good team, but the manager is not so great. I feels like he quite often picks players by name instead of form. Since the Euros final they haven't really had any good results. I think the earliest England could play Croatia is the SF, I doubt England will make it that far.
Yeah I think Southgate is doing well but he’s no winner. He gets kudos in the news rags because he’s woke and he wastes time in trivia like politics when he should have been nurturing his pair for the final against Italy last year. That match alone indicated that as good as he’s doing, a better coach might have win that. He doesn’t have the smarts at that level to succeed, but he’s done very well regardless, much better than I thought he would…

TheSicilian

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
Yeah I think Southgate is doing well but he’s no winner. He gets kudos in the news rags because he’s woke and he wastes time in trivia like politics when he should have been nurturing his pair for the final against Italy last year. That match alone indicated that as good as he’s doing, a better coach might have win that. He doesn’t have the smarts at that level to succeed, but he’s done very well regardless, much better than I thought he would…
He did well at World Cup 2018 before all the woke BS. Last year with the European tournament it was ott with the woke and ultimately cost him in the final :astonished-face::face-with-tears-of-joy: If he and the team are into human rights & political BS so much why are they even going to Qatar? :thinking-face: Can't have it both ways...

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
He did well at World Cup 2018 before all the woke BS. Last year with the European tournament it was ott with the woke and ultimately cost him in the final :astonished-face::face-with-tears-of-joy: If he and the team are into human rights & political BS so much why are they even going to Qatar? :thinking-face: Can't have it both ways...
All that bloody taking the knee nonsense, the BLM race spoofers were laughing up their cuff at them, while dancing to their favourite tune: ker-CHING! :cheerleader:

And you’re right, if they were all so concerned about being correct politically, then they should have stomped on this outrageous coup. The European football clubs should have said no, we’re not breaking up the game for these chancers. There’s a train of thought that suggests that giving global sporting events to tyrants might encourage them to loosen their grip, be more open etc, so China got the Olympics, Russia got the World Cup and now football is going to Qatar. I think that sports should steer clear of politics completely, and that football tournaments should be held in only countries where people actually play the game..

Last edited:

TheSicilian

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
All that bloody taking the knee nonsense, the BLM race spoofers were laughing up their cuff at them, while dancing to their favourite tune: ker-CHING! :cheerleader:

And you’re right, if they were all so concerned about being correct politically, then they should have stomped on this outrageous coup. The European football clubs should have said no, we’re not breaking up the game for these chancers. There’s a train of thought that suggests that giving global sporting events to tyrants might encourage them to loosen their grip, be more open etc, so China got the Olympics, Russia got the World Cup and now football is going to Qatar. I think that sports should steer clear of politics completely, and that football tournaments should be held in only countries where people actually play the game..
I agree no place for politics in sport. Most people watch sports to escape reality for a few hours. I think there will be trouble in Qatar the fact some countries have to take their own police with them is just wrong. I have to question why anyone would want to attend :fearful-face:

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
I agree no place for politics in sport. Most people watch sports to escape reality for a few hours. I think there will be trouble in Qatar the fact some countries have to take their own police with them is just wrong. I have to question why anyone would want to attend :fearful-face:
Really? Some countries taking their own police? That’s going to be hairy. It’s going to be difficult for fans to enjoy a typical World Cup experience. Obviously alcohol is a big part of it but that will be restricted. This will be potential battle zone. Fans who haven’t been to that neck of the woods are in for a culture shock. The eerie experience of watching a football match on the site of a mass grave will be unnerving enough, but the usual match day rituals will be vetoed. The Qataris hopefully will feel a measure of discomfort too…

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
That wouldn’t surprise me. This whole farce will be a PR stunt for a dodgy country. The price of drink doesn’t surprise me either, my sister has visited an ME country and it’s the same. That’s up to them really, isn’t it? They don’t approve of alcohol but they make an expensive exception for tourists. Plus I think they have a limit of 3 pints, which to your average boozer, that’s like blowing the final whistle in a match as soon as the warm up ends. Luckily Ireland haven’t qualified, but Irish fans are resourceful. They’d find a way around it.

I suspect the Qataris are going to piss off a lot of fans. Another old football tradition might shake them if they wake it up - football hooliganism…

• Wow

TheSicilian

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
That wouldn’t surprise me. This whole farce will be a PR stunt for a dodgy country. The price of drink doesn’t surprise me either, my sister has visited an ME country and it’s the same. That’s up to them really, isn’t it? They don’t approve of alcohol but they make an expensive exception for tourists. Plus I think they have a limit of 3 pints, which to your average boozer, that’s like blowing the final whistle in a match as soon as the warm up ends. Luckily Ireland haven’t qualified, but Irish fans are resourceful. They’d find a way around it.

I suspect the Qataris are going to piss off a lot of fans. Another old football tradition might shake them if they wake it up - football hooliganism…
Tbh I thought they had no drinking at all. Again, it's like the players against the human rights of Qatar but happy to play at the World Cup. Qatar disagrees with alcohol but are happy to charge :flexed-biceps: :heavy-dollar-sign: for a pint. Quite often with restricted alcohol where there's a will there's a way :face-with-tears-of-joy:

If any football hooliganism goes on the hooligans may not come back home :astonished-face:

Reactions: Kieran

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Tbh I thought they had no drinking at all. Again, it's like the players against the human rights of Qatar but happy to play at the World Cup. Qatar disagrees with alcohol but are happy to charge :flexed-biceps: :heavy-dollar-sign: for a pint. Quite often with restricted alcohol where there's a will there's a way :face-with-tears-of-joy:

If any football hooliganism goes on the hooligans may not come back home :astonished-face:
Well that’s true too. They’re not visiting a civilised country where they can riot as part of their national duty. They’re heading into backwater territory where rioters will be treated as if they’re Indian and African slaves working on construction sites, building football stadiums…

TheSicilian

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
Well that’s true too. They’re not visiting a civilised country where they can riot as part of their national duty. They’re heading into backwater territory where rioters will be treated as if they’re Indian and African slaves working on construction sites, building football stadiums…
Can you actually believe any fans want to go there :lol6: I read an article apparently, Qatar didn't investigate most the deaths on site so there is no way of knowing accurate figures :(

Reactions: Kieran