Federer's Schedule for 2016

Murat Baslamisli

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
www.drummershangout.ca
GameSetAndMath said:
1972Murat said:
Only RG for clay. Not defending Istanbul.

Come on, did you seriously expect him to defend Istanbul. The only reason he played there is to pocket 2 million bucks in the first place. But, I am sure they are not rich enough to give him that much money every year.

I did...like you said, because of the money. The sponsors are rich banks.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
1972Murat said:
GameSetAndMath said:
1972Murat said:
Only RG for clay. Not defending Istanbul.

Come on, did you seriously expect him to defend Istanbul. The only reason he played there is to pocket 2 million bucks in the first place. But, I am sure they are not rich enough to give him that much money every year.

I did...like you said, because of the money. The sponsors are rich banks.

Nah. Actually, if you recall, the negotiations over appearance fee broke off last year itself and for a while it appeared that Roger will not be playing in Istanbul after all the initial euphoria. Then, it was finally salvaged and everything worked out.

Puppet Master

Masters Champion
Reactions
I think Fed should go all out in Monte Carlo, and then carelessly enter RG and lose to someone like Monfils in say, round 4. Then, he can play himself into great form for Wimbo and then... Oh who am I kidding, my heart would break in half if he lost in another Wimbo final :( .

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
I bet he'll play at least one clay master, probably just wanted to choose based on what happens.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
mrzz said:
I bet he'll play at least one clay master, probably just wanted to choose based on what happens.

No, I think he means it. If he can manage to say in top four, I think he will skip them all.
If not, he will add Rome. If he wants to add one, I don't think there is doubt as to which one
he will add. It will be Rome (that way his vacation will be for a long period continuously and
he likes that).

Roger defends a total of 950 points in the period after IW and before RG (MC 90 + Istabul 250 + Madrid 10 + Rome 600). He can easily afford to lose them, especially if he puts in a good show at AO where he went out early last year and win the Rotterdam where he did not play last year.

Read this article also.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
Federer always surprises me with his schedule. Just when I think I have figured out what he will do, there is always a change. He has not yet released his full schedule for 2016. But he has announced that he will play in Rotterdam 500 in 2016.

I don't know what this means. Is Fed attempting to make a run at #1 once again? Perhaps he anticipates Novak to slip in 2016 and if so, use that opportunity. He last played in Rotterdam in 2012 when he wanted to make a run for #1 (which he did successfully).

With the release of the full schedule, it is clear that Fed is not attempting to make any run at #1. He also said that explicitly in an interview that I posted in this thread a few days ago.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
GameSetAndMath said:
Federer always surprises me with his schedule. Just when I think I have figured out what he will do, there is always a change. He has not yet released his full schedule for 2016. But he has announced that he will play in Rotterdam 500 in 2016.

I don't know what this means. Is Fed attempting to make a run at #1 once again? Perhaps he anticipates Novak to slip in 2016 and if so, use that opportunity. He last played in Rotterdam in 2012 when he wanted to make a run for #1 (which he did successfully).

With the release of the full schedule, it is clear that Fed is not attempting to make any run at #1. He also said that explicitly in an interview that I posted in this thread a few days ago.

And with that announcement, Novak sleeps easy in his bed tonight... :snicker

isabelle

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
According to L'Equipe he'll skip all clay season except RG but maybe will he accept a WC in Roma or Madrid finally ? Strange choice for a N°3

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Kieran said:
GameSetAndMath said:
GameSetAndMath said:

And with that announcement, Novak sleeps easy in his bed tonight... :snicker

It would almost be ridiculous to see Roger getting back at # 1 ranking at his age. Even as the greatest ever, he cannot sustain a consistency required to be #1, because of how taxing such an undertaking it is.

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Fiero425 said:
GameSetAndMath said:
isabelle said:
Out of Rottredam and Dubai

Are you sure, why? :puzzled

I think "injury" was cited, but I think he just didn't want to play! Roger's getting old and has to cut back on that schedule; even if Dubai is close to home! :nono :angel: :dodgy: :p
Guys, read the news thread. He had surgery

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
herios said:
Fiero425 said:
GameSetAndMath said:
Are you sure, why? :puzzled

I think "injury" was cited, but I think he just didn't want to play! Roger's getting old and has to cut back on that schedule; even if Dubai is close to home! :nono :angel: :dodgy: :p
Guys, read the news thread. He had surgery

From Roger: "I want to inform you that yesterday I underwent arthroscopic surgery on my knee. I injured my knee the day after the semi-finals in Australia. After getting tests done when I returned home, it was determined that I had torn my meniscus. I apologize to my friends in Rotterdam and Dubai, as I was very much looking forward to playing those events. While this is an unfortunate setback, I am encouraged and grateful that my doctor said the procedure was a success. I am looking forward to attacking the rehabilitation process this afternoon with my team and working hard to get back out on tour as soon as possible. Thanks for all your incredible support. I will check in with all of you soon." :cover :nono :rolleyes:

shawnbm

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
It has been many a year since Roger has had an injury that sidelined him like this. I recall his back acting up a few times in the last decade.

lacatch

Pro Tour Player
Reactions
Roger's back was bad in 2013, after his terrific 2012 when he regained #1 ranking during the year. While it hampered his performance, his wasn't out of the game as he will be with knee surgery. And there's no way he can be competitive at Indian Wells which starts about one month after Roger's surgery.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
In both Rotterdam and Dubai, Fed had excellent chances of winning the title. Unfortunately, those are gone now along with the 1000 points it would have fetched. This would also mean that Andy would continue to be #2 and Roger would not be seeded any better than #3 at IW. That would mean he may run into Serbinator in SF itself again.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
General info on arthroscopic meniscus surgery . Looks like he should be able to get back to court in time for IW. That gives him 5 weeks of recovery time. But, his performance at IW might be hampered.

If Roger had the option to choose the time of injury, he surely would have chosen to get injured right after the final of IW, when he has previously scheduled 9 weeks of break.:dodgy:

Great Hands

Pro Tour Player
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
General info on arthroscopic meniscus surgery . Looks like he should be able to get back to court in time for IW. That gives him 5 weeks of recovery time. But, his performance at IW might be hampered.

If Roger had the option to choose the time of injury, he surely would have chosen to get injured right after the final of IW, when he has previously scheduled 9 weeks of break.:dodgy:

At least it's not right before a slam. It's just after a slam, and three and a half months before the next one. He has plenty of time before the manic four month period of RG - WD - Olympics - USO, that will define everyone's year. If this had happened in May-June, it would have been far worse for him.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
OK. Fed had announced he will be skipping IW and has entered MC.

I hope he also enters Rome (since he missed so much, it should not be a huge burden).