Federer's Schedule 2018

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Good thinking by Roger as you get no second chance if you lose in a proper event but he's guaranteed match play this way. And there was no real mickey mouse messing around at Hopman Cup this year. Proper matches with everyone trying to win.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
1. Some people think this is an exhibition event. It is not. It is an ITF event as opposed to ATP event, that's all.

2. Roger is guaranteed of six matches (three singles, three mixed doubles) and if Switzerland reaches finals
(which they did not this year), Roger will get two more matches (one singles and one mixed doubles) to play.

3. Also, I think if Chennai folks were to offer a million bucks, Fed might play there. But, they are not that rich.
They could not even make Andy Murray play there despite Bhupathi trying once.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Federer has not made any further announcements about his schedule, other than that he is playing in Hopman Cup and AO (also, he is unlikely to make any further announcements until AO'18 is over).

Anyway, here is what I would like Fed to be playing in 2018. The list is below, but let me give explanation first. This year Roger played only 12 events including WTF (3 GS, 4 ATP 1000, 3 ATP 500, 1 ATP 250 and WTF). That was a good idea as he is coming after the long injury break and need to test how his body holds. Next year, I hope he raises that number a bit, but not by too much. I would like him to play
13 or 14 next year. Finally, Fed should avoid back to back events, even if they are Masters events. As all of us know, playing in
Montreal turned out to be a disaster. Also, even in Miami, Fed was not sharp despite the fact that he won. So, I would like him
to skip Miami, in addition to Canada Masters. To give himself some chance of make it to #1 ranking, I would like him to add Rotterdam this year. He can skip Stuttgart, as he is no longer contractually required to play there. He signed up for two years there and he has completed his obligation. No point in playing such a lowly 250 event. Also, I would like Roger to do some clay this year, but keep it very minimal. He should play RG, just to give himself a puncher's chance. No point in playing RG without playing in any warm-ups and so throw in Rome also. That gives the following schedule.

1. AO
2. Rotterdam
3. Dubai
4. IW
5. Rome
6. RG
7. Halle
8. Wimbledon
9. Cincy
10. USO
11. Shanghai
12. Basel
---- Throw in Bercy if YE #1 carrot is dangling - otherwise skip it -----
13 or 14. WTF.

Needless to say that this is my wishful thinking and I have no idea what Fed or his team is thinking about this matter.

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Well, he's only playing 12 tournaments this year so I'm not sure why he'd add two to the mix. But I hear you: I'd love to see him play a couple clay tournaments, but I don't think he will.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I'm not clear why Rotterdam is a good idea. Just for points?

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
I'm not clear why Rotterdam is a good idea. Just for points?

Much better to play in Rotterdam, a 500 event, than Stuttgart, a 250 event. Besides, generally speaking players are
expected to play 4 500 events (although Roger is exempt from all these rules).

Busted

Major Winner
Reactions
Well, he's only playing 12 tournaments this year so I'm not sure why he'd add two to the mix. But I hear you: I'd love to see him play a couple clay tournaments, but I don't think he will.

I think it's going to depend on how deep his IW and Miami runs are. He's unlikely to repeat the double and at some point ranking may become an issue if he loses too many points. I don't think he wants to fall out of the top 4-5. If that's the case - and he's got 4,000 points to defend early on - if he's not making finals at these early events, then I think he'll look at add at least 1 clay Masters event and RG to his schedule. Then cut out Stuttgart and only play Halle before Wimbledon. Definitely don't see him playing Montreal/Toronto this year and going straight to the faster courts of Cincy...

Busted

Major Winner
Reactions
Much better to play in Rotterdam, a 500 event, than Stuttgart, a 250 event. Besides, generally speaking players are
expected to play 4 500 events (although Roger is exempt from all these rules).

I was just going to say - when was the last time Roger actually played 4 500 events in a year? 2013? And that was only because he was having a crappy year due to his back and wanted to test rackets after losing early at Wimbledon so he entered the Hamburg 500 event..

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
Federer has not made any further announcements about his schedule, other than that he is playing in Hopman Cup and AO (also, he is unlikely to make any further announcements until AO'18 is over).

Anyway, here is what I would like Fed to be playing in 2018. The list is below, but let me give explanation first. This year Roger played only 12 events including WTF (3 GS, 4 ATP 1000, 3 ATP 500, 1 ATP 250 and WTF). That was a good idea as he is coming after the long injury break and need to test how his body holds. Next year, I hope he raises that number a bit, but not by too much. I would like him to play
13 or 14 next year. Finally, Fed should avoid back to back events, even if they are Masters events. As all of us know, playing in
Montreal turned out to be a disaster. Also, even in Miami, Fed was not sharp despite the fact that he won. So, I would like him
to skip Miami, in addition to Canada Masters. To give himself some chance of make it to #1 ranking, I would like him to add Rotterdam this year. He can skip Stuttgart, as he is no longer contractually required to play there. He signed up for two years there and he has completed his obligation. No point in playing such a lowly 250 event. Also, I would like Roger to do some clay this year, but keep it very minimal. He should play RG, just to give himself a puncher's chance. No point in playing RG without playing in any warm-ups and so throw in Rome also. That gives the following schedule.

1. AO
2. Rotterdam
3. Dubai
4. IW
5. Rome
6. RG
7. Halle
8. Wimbledon
9. Cincy
10. USO
11. Shanghai
12. Basel
---- Throw in Bercy if YE #1 carrot is dangling - otherwise skip it -----
13 or 14. WTF.

Needless to say that this is my wishful thinking and I have no idea what Fed or his team is thinking about this matter.

Seriously? You want Roger to play RG? Wow...

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
The early scoop is that Fed will place his feet on dirt in 2018. Read below.

"Roger Federer has had an impressive year, winning the Australian Open and Wimbledon Grand Slam titles.

The Swiss was a notable absentee on the clay courts this season, allowing Rafael Nadal to clear up at Roland Garros.

However, that could be about to change as Claudio Mezzadri has revealed Federer fully intends to compete on the clay in the New Year.

When asked if the world No 2 would be at the Rome Masters, Mezzadri told Italian outlet SportFace: “He said he intends to play the clay-court season in 2018"

isabelle

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
i th
The early scoop is that Fed will place his feet on dirt in 2018. Read below.

"Roger Federer has had an impressive year, winning the Australian Open and Wimbledon Grand Slam titles.

The Swiss was a notable absentee on the clay courts this season, allowing Rafael Nadal to clear up at Roland Garros.

However, that could be about to change as Claudio Mezzadri has revealed Federer fully intends to compete on the clay in the New Year.

When asked if the world No 2 would be at the Rome Masters, Mezzadri told Italian outlet SportFace: “He said he intends to play the clay-court season in 2018"
I tought his doctor asked him to stay away from clay to protect his knee ,??

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Wow, that's big news. I wonder why? Maybe he either wants to challenge himself vs. Rafa on clay, or maybe he wants to reach #1 again?

Either way, he's got a good chance to reach some interesting milestones in 2018:

100+ ATP titles (he needs 5)
20+ Grand Slams (he needs 1)
150+ ATP finals (he needs 6)

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
I think it only means that he is not writing off clay season of 2018 right away. He is considering playing in it. However, he may change his mind and back out after the IW-M double for all we know. But, I do hope that he plays Rome and RG alone in 2018 for the clay season component of his schedule.

The_Grand_Slam

Masters Champion
Reactions
AO

Dubai

IW

Miami(skip if rest needed)

Monte Carlo(if Djokovic/nadal out of form)

Rome

RG

Halle(Skip if deep run in clay tournaments)

Wimbledon

Toronto(if god forbid not goes deep at wimbledon)

Cincinnati

USO

Shanghai

Basel

Paris(Skip if Basel win)

WTF(if qualified)

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
It appears that Fed had given up on Olympics 2020. He says, he will probably never represent Switzerland during the remaining of his career. No, this is not due to any misunderstanding between him and Swiss Govt. It is just due to his scheduling preferences.

Reactions: Moxie

The_Grand_Slam

Masters Champion
Reactions
It appears that Fed had given up on Olympics 2020. He says, he will probably never represent Switzerland during the remaining of his career. No, this is not due to any misunderstanding between him and Swiss Govt. It is just due to his scheduling preferences.

I think he just doesn't want to commit that far ahead.

However if he is still in good shape in early 2019 he will definitely consider playing Tokyo

Mastoor

Major Winner
Reactions
Hello everyone. Long time no see. As you can imagine, I watched barely any tennis in last six months or so, but I know Federer and Nadal shared pretty much everything most important. But all the good things have to come to end. Now Nole is coming back and assuming he is healed and in good form, Nadal will be injured and Federer will be old again.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Hello everyone. Long time no see. As you can imagine, I watched barely any tennis in last six months or so, but I know Federer and Nadal shared pretty much everything most important. But all the good things have to come to end. Now Nole is coming back and assuming he is healed and in good form, Nadal will be injured and Federer will be old again.

Heh heh, like your style Mastoor, lay that marker down - welcome back. The AO will be here in no time, Qualifying rounds start on the 10th. It'll be good to have Djokovic and Murray back and good to see where they are at.

Reactions: Mastoor