Federer's Schedule for 2016

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
1972Murat said:
Dear Fans,
I’m extremely disappointed to announce that I will not be able to represent Switzerland at the Olympic Games in Rio and that I will also miss the remainder of the season. Considering all options after consulting with my doctors and my team, I have made the very difficult decision to call an end to my 2016 season as I need more extensive rehabilitation following my knee surgery earlier this year. The doctors advised that if I want to play on the ATP World Tour injury free for another few years, as I intend to do, I must give both my knee and body the proper time to fully recover. It is tough to miss the rest of the year. However, the silver lining is that this experience has made me realize how lucky I have been throughout my career with very few injuries. The love I have for tennis, the competition, tournaments and of course you, the fans remains intact. I am as motivated as ever and plan to put all my energy towards coming back strong, healthy and in shape to play attacking tennis in 2017.
Thanks for your continued support.
Roger

this sux...

At one point, this was supposed to come. And it was going to suck for all his fans. But he remains committed to come back. So do not lose hope entirely just yet. If you come tomorrow to Rogers Cup, Billie and I will give you a BIG HUG;)

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
1972Murat said:
"I have made the tough decision to withdraw from the Rogers Cup. Toronto is one of my favorite events on the calendar and I am disappointed that I won’t be able to compete in front of the great tennis fans in Canada. Looking ahead, it is best for me that I take more time after Wimbledon. I look forward to coming back to Canada next year and I wish Karl Hale and everyone at Tennis Canada a very successful tournament."

Roger Federer

That is unfortunate especially considering Andy Murray has already dropped out of Toronto and so if he plays, he will be seeded #2 and won't have to play Novak except possibly in finals.

Roger basically was sitting out the entire first half of this year and if he feels that he does not want to play in Toronto as well, I think his body is in a worse condition than he lets the world know.

I had the suspicion that all is not well and it is now confirmed. His announcement saying he is quitting for the rest of the year makes me very sad. I also think this is the true beginning of the end.
Sure, he will play couple more years with a limited schedule, but probably without much impact.

One thing that was said about Roger was that he was winning easily when he was in prime that he never learned to fight tooth and nail and win when it was required later on. Similarly, one can also say that he was so injury free in his career for the most part that he may lack resiliency in coming out of it as well.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Most probably that fall he took in the fifth set aggravated the issue (even though his agent came out with an announcement that everything is fine). He probably played through the rest of the match partly due to adrenaline and partly because he did not want to quit in the middle of the match (even though it was clear that he had given up).

Murat Baslamisli

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
www.drummershangout.ca
herios said:
1972Murat said:
Dear Fans,
I’m extremely disappointed to announce that I will not be able to represent Switzerland at the Olympic Games in Rio and that I will also miss the remainder of the season. Considering all options after consulting with my doctors and my team, I have made the very difficult decision to call an end to my 2016 season as I need more extensive rehabilitation following my knee surgery earlier this year. The doctors advised that if I want to play on the ATP World Tour injury free for another few years, as I intend to do, I must give both my knee and body the proper time to fully recover. It is tough to miss the rest of the year. However, the silver lining is that this experience has made me realize how lucky I have been throughout my career with very few injuries. The love I have for tennis, the competition, tournaments and of course you, the fans remains intact. I am as motivated as ever and plan to put all my energy towards coming back strong, healthy and in shape to play attacking tennis in 2017.
Roger

this sux...

At one point, this was supposed to come. And it was going to suck for all his fans. But he remains committed to come back. So do not lose hope entirely just yet. If you come tomorrow to Rogers Cup, Billie and I will give you a BIG HUG;)

I am not going to be there but my wife, sister and brother-in-law will be there for the morning session! Give my hug to them !:p

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I remember when I said that Roger was playing too soon after the surgery when anyone not being an athlete takes long time to recovery and usually is in pain for long time. I can imagine how tough has been for him to understand and taking the decision that he can't play in those conditions

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
herios said:
1972Murat said:
Dear Fans,
Roger

this sux...

Few are that shocked! This isn't blowing up 1/2 as much as I thought! It wasn't like he was going to take anything! :rolleyes:

Murat Baslamisli

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
www.drummershangout.ca
Now the question is how do you get back to being competitive after such a long break? How do you get your rhythm back at the age of 35? I have always been in the " It is Roger, anything is possible" camp but this mountain seems too high to climb. Any player would love to have a 4-5 month period of heavy duty training to fix mistakes, develop certain shots but not at this age...

Maybe it is Gil Reyes and Magic Mountain time...

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Fit and healthy he was in a good position to win Cinci again and at least make semis of the USO and probably the final of the WTF and a good showing at Shanghai. Depends on your perspective I guess.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Carol35 said:
I remember when I said that Roger was playing too soon after the surgery when anyone not being an athlete takes long time to recovery and usually is in pain for long time. I can imagine how tough has been for him to understand and taking the decision that he can't play in those conditions

Yeah you called that one and was taken to task by several of the Fed fans.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
The fact that he did not quit from tourneys one after another and simply called it a season is telling. Also, with Olympics being so important to him and he quitting from it as much as 10 days ahead of it (without waiting to see whether he could possibly play on) is also telling. All this means, situation is ultra-serious now.

However, I would not blame Roger of trying to come back soon after surgery as the recovery time for these key-hole surgeries are not too long. I posted a scientific video of this somewhere. I think the fall must have aggravated the situation.

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
the AntiPusher said:
Carol35 said:

Yeah you called that one and was taken to task by several of the Fed fans.

Yep, I don't have enough fingers to count people that I know for what they are going through for long time after that surgery

Busted

Major Winner
Reactions
1972Murat said:
Now the question is how do you get back to being competitive after such a long break? How do you get your rhythm back at the age of 35? I have always been in the " It is Roger, anything is possible" camp but this mountain seems too high to climb. Any player would love to have a 4-5 month period of heavy duty training to fix mistakes, develop certain shots but not at this age...

Maybe it is Gil Reyes and Magic Mountain time...

As John McEnroe loves to say - nobody loves the game and loves playing more than Roger Federer - even after almost 15 years at the top of the game. That'll be his motivation. He loves the game too much to go out with an injury unless it's because they had to amputate his leg. And even then he might try to play on one leg. It pains me to say it because I'm a huge Roger fan, but I don't think he'll ever win another Slam. But... as long as HE believes he can come back and compete at the top, that's all that's really necessary. Well...that and Mirka's approval...:laydownlaughing

Busted

Major Winner
Reactions
the AntiPusher said:
Damn..this too bad..the games are gonna be a bit more boring for me.

How could tennis possibly be boring without Roger when everyone else plays the exact same style of tennis and one guy is heads and shoulders above everyone else at it? It's gobs of fun... :lolz:

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Busted said:
the AntiPusher said:
Damn..this too bad..the games are gonna be a bit more boring for me.

How could tennis possibly be boring without Roger when everyone else plays the exact same style of tennis and one guy is heads and shoulders above everyone else at it? It's gobs of fun... :lolz:

If everyone else would play the exact same style of tennis and one guy would continue being head and shoulders above everyone else the... YES! tennis would be the most BORING sport! :lolz:

lob

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
Front242 said:
Fit and healthy he was in a good position to win Cinci again and at least make semis of the USO and probably the final of the WTF and a good showing at Shanghai. Depends on your perspective I guess.

Front, I hear you but being in a position to win a tournament ain't the same as winning it. Ferrer until 2013(?), was always, expected to make deep runs in almost everywhere he played. Still no one mistook him for a favorite to win and win he never did. Now, Roger being Roger will always be considered a contender for the title once he reaches QF/SF of any tournament. But, nowadays he is about as much a contender as Ferrer used to be. He can give anyone a tough time but, sad to say, the match is on their rackets from here on.

He will be playing semi recreational tennis on the pro tour going forward. I think the Raonic debacle brought it home to him. It's not just age, injuries, stamina, fitness, consistency. None of those, by themselves lost him that SF. I don't know what did.

Great Hands

Pro Tour Player
Reactions
Front242 said:
^ Get over the likes, it's the same with Nadal fans in every thread. You don't have to look too far. I only said Safin was a better all court player than Murray if you noticed above because the match would be over before he'd dig himself into a massive rut like Murray whose overly defensive game cripples him. The few times Murray actually plays aggressively he can be much more effective against the field but it doesn't come naturally at all to him and he soon reverts back to being a pusher of the highest order. Maybe you could rank him right up there as one of the best all court pushers but that's not much of a compliment I'm afraid.

[As a Murray fan, I'm going to wade in here.]

You may not like Murray's style of game, but you shoudln't le that affect your judgemetn of a pleyr's worth. jsut caouse you happent o like someone's style of play more, doesn't mean they are a better player. you need to be more objective.andy has won as many Grand Slams as Safin, and his overall record at slams and masters events is far superior to safin's. so just cause you don't happen to like his play, you should be able to see, objevtively, that he is a more succesful player than safin.

and whereas marat only had one great player to deal wtih, fed, andy has had three. and he's still been more successful than safinh. so there. :p (and by the wya, i realyl liked safn's play. i jsut think it's possible to like lits of different styles of players!)

It baffles me how some tennis fans can have such a low opinion of Andy Murray, a player who is one of the greatest returners of all time, one of the great movers of all time, who has exquisite touch (second only to Roger among current players in this regard), a player who has so many different shots, a player who has a great ability to vary the pace, spin and angles of the ball, a player who changes his tactics based upon playing coniditons, weather, opponent (if you're fond of the subtleties of the game rather than just ball bashing and winners, this aspect of his game is fascinating to watch), and a player with some of the most spectacualr defensive skills ever seen.

Some of the things he does so well are more subtle pleasures - it's not all about pounding winners. His ability to place the ball in awkward positions for opponents, his preternatural anticipation of, for example, smashes. His returning is amazing to see - the way he steps in on the second serve and controls it - no other player has the hands to do that. not even novak. Murray's BH is a thing of beauty. if all of that is him being a 'pusher', well, then i love pushers!

O.K., my favourite things to watch in tennis are great returning and great defending, and he's an all-time great in these areas, so I particularly like to watch him, but I'm surprised that some fans here - who call themsleves tennis fans - can't appreciate a player who is so good in so many ways, and an all-time great in certain areas, even if he's not their favourite style of player. I try to appreciate all styles of play, not just one.

The funny thing is that wherever Murray plays he gets lots of crowd support and is very popular - understandably, because of all the reasons I mentioned above. But for some reason he seems far less popular on tennis forums. I can only conlude that tennis forums do not accurately reflect the views of tennis fans in general. [(same goes for nadal. if i bvisited tennis forums to get an idea of players' popularity, i'd conclide that nadal was reviled and hated. yet he's fanstaticvally popular wherever he plays. [do players on tennis forums not go to tennis matches? are they two separate groups of fan or something?)] ]

[i know you like first strike teenis, but you shoudln't le that affect your judgemetn of apleyr's worth.]

[and whereas marat only had one great player to deal wtih, fed, andy has had three. and he's still been more successful than safinh. so there. :p (and by the wya, i realyl liked safn's play. i jsut think it's possible to like lits of different styles of players!)]