Federer's Schedule for 2016

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Today, they released the entry list for Brisbane 2016. Roger is in it. Other notable players in the field are Kei Nishikori, Milos Raonic, Gilles Simon, David Goffin, Marin Cilic, Grigor Dimitrov, Bernard Tomic, Victor Troiki Dominic Thiem and Stepanek (using protected rankings).

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
This was posted by Front elsewhere. I am posting it here for ease of reference for followers of this thread. Fed has committed to play in Stuttgart for the next two years. Now, we know for sure all the tourneys that he will play except for the Master's events.

GS: All four
ATP 500: Rotterdam, Dubai, Halle and Basel
ATP 250: Brisbane and Stuttgart
Special Events: Olympics and WTF.

That is already 12 events and we have not counted a single Masters. :puzzled

I think these 12 and 7 Masters (except for Miami and Tornoto) will be completing Fed's schedule for 2016. The official announcement should come within the next two weeks.

Also, Fed may skip Shanghai depending on how his body feels and on whether he is in the race to attain some specific ranking spot.

This year he played 18 tourneys and he was able to hold up. Next year it will be 18 as well if he skips Shanghai.

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
as well as giving Miami a miss, could be that fedster only plays 1 of 3 clay masters.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Fed will not announce his schedule officially until after the DC is over. This is out of courtesy to ensure that he does not steal the thunder from Andy's news cycle.

Busted

Major Winner
Reactions
He's definitely playing the ABN AMRo in Rotterdam. I saw a video on YouTube where Roger did interviews with the Dutch media. He also talked about his other plans for 2016 - and beyond.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDZCG4xPqyI

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Busted said:
He's definitely playing the ABN AMRo in Rotterdam. I saw a video on YouTube where Roger did interviews with the Dutch media. He also talked about his other plans for 2016 - and beyond.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDZCG4xPqyI

Thanks for the you tube link for the interview. Yes, It was announced long ago in September as mentioned in OP. Thanks for the you tube link.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
JesuslookslikeBorg said:
as well as giving Miami a miss, could be that fedster only plays 1 of 3 clay masters.

I disagree. Fed will play in Rome as it is an ideal prep for RG. Fed will play in Madrid as he likes Madrid (even though it is ideal anti-prep for RG). Fed will play in Monte Carlo as he has never won it and as playing one clay tourney early in the season will give him info on what he needs to tweak during the practice sessions to be relevant in clay.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Martina Hingis is waiting for an answer from Fed about playing in Mixed Doubles event in Rio Olympics.

Roger surely would not want to play in all three (Men's Singles, Men's Doubles and Mixed Doubles) events. Given that he has already won a Gold Medal in Men's Doubles, I would think that he would play in Men's Singles and Mixed Doubles. I am almost sure of this part.

But, he has the choice of three different partners for the mixed doubles event: Martina Hingis who is ranked #2 in doubles, Timea Bacsinszky who is ranked #12 in Singles or Belinda Bencic who is ranked #14 in Singles. Also, each one of these three will be able to go to Rio by themselves (nobody is allowed to go to Rio just to play in mixed doubles; they should get there by securing an entry in singles or regular doubles events first and the mixed doubles pairs are formed from this pool only). So, it is a nice problem for Roger to have. In 2012, Roger did not have anyone to play mixed doubles with in Olympics. He asked Martina an year before that and she refused as she was still in retirement at that time.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Fed is obviously a fan of the old joke "How'd you keep an idiot in suspense? I'll tell you tomorrow" :snicker

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
The mystery is over. Federer Agrees to play Mixed Doubles with Martina Hingis in Rio .
Interestingly, Federer has decided to play all three events. He will play with Stan in doubles too.
This means Roger could potentially play 15 matches over a period of just 9 days.

Here is the entire Swiss Olympic Team (subject to making the entry list as per the rules):

Men's Singles: Roger Federer, Stan Wawrinka
Women's Singles: Timea Bacsinszky, Belinda Bencic.
Men's Doubles: Roger Federer & Stan Wawrinka
Women's Doubles: Martina Hingis & Belinda Bencic
Mixed Doubles: Roger Federer & Martina Hingis,
Stan Wawrinka & Belinda Bencic.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
While Fed & Martina is confirmed and Martina & Bencic is also confirmed, the rest are uncertain.
Here is another article about the same. According to this
Stan will play mixed doubles with Timea and Fed will decide at the last minute whether he will
play Men's doubles with Stan, depending on his body condition.

Stan teaming up with Timea also makes sense, as otherwise Belinda will be playing in three events.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Roger's camp says the reports are unconfirmed and unofficial .
But, it does not appear that they are denying the news. They just want to tell later.

Roger is scheduling expert. He will not do the foolish thing of playing in all three events leading to potentially playin 15 matches spread over 9 days. Since, he already has gold in Men's doubles, he will play Singles and Mixed Doubles. Further mixed doubles is less taxing with the super tie breaker for the third set.

I think the following will make up the Swiss Olympics Team when all is said and done (assuming all the players and teams are able to secure their entries).

Men's Singles: Roger Federer, Stan Wawrinka
Women's Singles: Belinda Bencic, Timea Bacsinszky
Men's Doubles: None
Women's Doubles: Martina Hingis and Belinda Bencic
Mixed Doubles: Martina Hingis & Roger Federer, Timea Bacsinszky & Stan Wawrinka

Note that the above arrangement has the nice feature that each one of the five players involved play exactly two events.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Federer against the idea of having a year long swansong.

"I think [Edberg] announced at the beginning of the year that he was going to retire at the end of the year. He thought that was a bit rough. He had a farewell at every single place he went to. He said that eventually it was just a bit too much. I don't think I am going to do that...I haven't thought about it a whole lot, to be honest. I don't want to go there with my thoughts because the more I think about it, the closer I am to retirement."

He has also said,

"I hope it's going to come gradually and that I will know when the right time is."

So, it looks like he will gradually reduce his schedule, but call it quits suddenly without much notice.
Finally, this may happen in 2018 Basel.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Yeah I'm thinking 2018 too but then again, if he qualifies for the WTF I doubt he'd just call it quits at Basel. Sure, nice and sentimental to retire at your home town event, but I don't think he'd skip one of his favourite events, the WTF if it was his last time playing there. 3 more years of Roger is great news for his fans and a right f****n' dose for those who aren't fans :snicker

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Front242 said:
Yeah I'm thinking 2018 too but then again, if he qualifies for the WTF I doubt he'd just call it quits at Basel. Sure, nice and sentimental to retire at your home town event, but I don't think he'd skip one of his favourite events, the WTF if it was his last time playing there. 3 more years of Roger is great news for his fans and a right f****n' dose for those who aren't fans :snicker

Well, I guess if he qualifies for WTF, then he will continue next year. He will probably retire
in Basel in year 2xyz, when he does not qualify for WTF.

Great Hands

Pro Tour Player
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
Well, I guess if he qualifies for WTF, then he will continue next year. He will probably retire
in Basel in year 2xyz, when he does not qualify for WTF.

If that is the case, Roger may not be retiring for a long time. At no.2/3 in the world at 34, he might still be in the top 8 for many more years.

I think it is more likely to be when he feels he has no chance to win slams, then he will retire, even if he is still in top 8.

I hope he stays playing as long as possible, though - the tour is better for him being in it, even if he's not winning slams. The guy is still going to be lovely to watch play when he's a grandad!

sid

Masters Champion
Reactions
Federer split with Stefan.