Fed Fans – Roger Federer Talk

Michael;Kiwi

Futures Player
Reactions
Fed had been written off so many times before. He fell on the center court in 2016 while losing to Raonic and then called it a season while announcing knee surgery. So many people, including many of his fans, wrote him off at that time and still he came back and won three more slams. Who is to say that, he won't come back now win at least one more before calling it a career (independent of whether Novak or Ralph or both pass him eventually).
I certainly wouldn’t write him off in terms of results:
2019 French SF
2019 Wimbledon F
2019 US Open QF
2020 Aus Open SF
2021 French R16
2021 Wimbledon QF
And many of these results were through injuries. Federer has also shown he will never retire without a fight. However, this injury will have basically kept him out for 2 years and for the first time he doesn’t seem confident. We will see, but I hope at least he can have a decent farewell.

Reactions: GameSetAndMath

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Fed's current ranking points stand at 4170. Of those 1385 will be dropping off at various points during the rest of this season. So, at the end of this season, his ranking points will stand at 2785. That will put him around #16 (we cannot predict the exact spot, it will be likely within plus or minus 3 of that - but he will definitely be out of top 10 again).

In 2017, when he came back from surgery and won the AO, he was ranked at #17.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Parsing Roger's statement carefully, it looks like there is no immediate problem. He says surgery is needed for his medium and long term health. The video I posted of Roger and Myla hitting also confirms that there is no short term issues. As such it does not look like an issue caused by a specific injury (even though he keeps saying he got reinjured during Wimbledon). It looks more of the case of an "overuse injury", may be some Osteoarthritis or some other kind of arthritis. As the doctor in the NY-Times article says, if it is a case of arthritis, it cannot really be cured by surgery.

Just like other players, Roger is not going to come out fully open and explain what is going on. So, it will continue to remain a mystery for quite a while.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I think he’s close to a well earned retirement. I’d love to see him make a return though. He’d get wild cards everywhere…
That article does sound a lot like a valedictory. And I think he's always said he doesn't want to do the year-long farewell tour. Reading that article, and seeing that he's said he'll play Laver Cup and Basel does rather sound like the end.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
So hard to tell really. I've often thought the same that he'd call it at day in Basel in front of his fans and, who knows, he may if he doesn't feel competitive BUT indoor hard court is hardly his best shot at doing well at this stage of his career, Wimbledon is, and his agent claims he wants to play there one more time and Roger himself said he was putting in the hours in the gym to get ready for 2023 so we'll see.

Last edited:

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
I think it was Monday, but I didn't want Roger's 40th birthday to go unremarked upon here. Happy Belated, Roger, and here's to the comeback.

He’s gonna be badly missed, when by me, and that’s saying something. A class act.

Reactions: Moxie

PhiEaglesfan712

Masters Champion
Reactions
Hard to believe, but today marks 2 years since Federer played his 1526th and final match, a straight sets loss to Hubert Hurkacz in the Wimbledon quarterfinals. Two days earlier, Federer defeated Lorenzo Sonego in straight sets for his 1251st and final win.

Reactions: Fiero425 and Kieran

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Hard to believe, but today marks 2 years since Federer played his 1526th and final match, a straight sets loss to Hubert Hurkacz in the Wimbledon quarterfinals. Two days earlier, Federer defeated Lorenzo Sonego in straight sets for his 1251st and final win.
I miss Federer and I hated the bastard..