Fed Fans – Roger Federer Talk

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
In case you have not heard of it, a new biography of Roger Federer titled "The Master - The long run and beautiful game of Roger Federer" by Christopher Clarey will be released in about two weeks.

1628654383257.png

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
According to Kamakshi Fed is expected to announce his schedule for the rest of the season in the next few days.

Unfortunately, all indications are that he will call it an year.

Reactions: Fiero425

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
According to Kamakshi Fed is expected to announce his schedule for the rest of the season in the next few days.

Unfortunately, all indications are that he will call it an year.
He was watching soccer in Switzerland while I tought he was somewhere in US preparing for a slam.
I guess he can always rest more and give it one last push next year.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
"I woke up in the morning when I was 40 and realised that everything was still the same as the day before. I was relieved," Federer told Swiss paper Blick.

"I just turned 40 and am still active. Who would have believed it? Surely not me. I'm totally in tune with myself and I'm sure there is still a lot of great things to come."

• Wow

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Roger Federer has announced he is to undergo further knee surgery,from what I read he injured his knee again at Wimbledon
Roger will be on crutches for months and it is not certain when or if he will return to tennis.He feels it is the right outcome he wants to be healthy again.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Roger Federer has announced he is to undergo further knee surgery,from what I read he injured his knee again at Wimbledon
Roger will be on crutches for months and it is not certain when or if he will return to tennis.He feels it is the right outcome he wants to be healthy again.
Speedy recovery towards the Beloved One.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
That will be his 3rd surgery on his knee.We will see if he returns to the tour.
Nah..He Done...IMO...Tented said it a few weeks ago.. Age, bad knee cartilage (3 procedures) , bad back.. Father Time has finally caught up with one of the Big 3. Now he (FT)is in fast pursuit of the other two. Man..I don't enjoy posting threads of this content.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Nah..He Done...IMO...Tented said it a few weeks ago.. Age, bad knee cartilage (3 procedures) , bad back.. Father Time has finally caught up with one of the Big 3. Now he (FT)is in fast pursuit of the other two. Man..I don't enjoy posting threads of this content.
It is not clear if he needs a 'total knee replacement' if that is the case,that is further rehab.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
It is not clear if he needs a 'total knee replacement' if that is the case,that is further rehab.
It's NEVER been done before in the game of tennis where a player at late 30s or 40 plus comes back to as competitive as he was previously (top ten and a major contender to win GSs).

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions

He will be in crutches for weeks and will be out of the game for months.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Here is Roger, Thierer and Myla hitting balls recreationally. This video is taken after Wimbledon when Fed was vacationing in Croatia.

As you can see, he is not crippled by any means. While we don't know the details of his new surgery, I doubt that it will be a full knee replacement.
But, we really don't know the details of what exactly is going on with his knees. I am unable to read the NY times article as it behind pay wall.

Michael;Kiwi

Futures Player
Reactions
“Many months” sounds like he will not try to play in Australia. It seems there is a very real possibility that Wimbledon was his last tournament. It would not be so bad. At least it is a quarterfinal and he did just become only the second player to be in the top 10 past age 40 in the Open Era (Rosewall). Still this is a very sad day. Federer has been in the top 20 literally my entire life and only very briefly out of the top 10. On the other hand the fact that he was able to make the QF with such a serious injury shows that he could still be competitive if he got healthy. That seems unrealistic at this point, though. I hope he doesn’t go for more and more drastic surgeries that end up being detrimental to will health. I have the feeling he got injured in Halle and that was the cause of that very un-Federer like third set against Auger-Aliassime. He probably should not have played Wimbledon although I understand why he did. We should remember that Australia 2017 was incredible by itself. I’m as upset as anyone that Djokovic and probably Nadal will pass him, but if you had told me in 2016 he would win even one more major I would have been very happy.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
The main thing that is concerning is that it appears that the knee surgery is needed for basic healthy and active life for Fed (even if he does not step on court competitively any more).

p.s. Managed to read the NY times article.

Reactions: 10isfan and Moxie

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
“Many months” sounds like he will not try to play in Australia. It seems there is a very real possibility that Wimbledon was his last tournament. It would not be so bad. At least it is a quarterfinal and he did just become only the second player to be in the top 10 past age 40 in the Open Era (Rosewall). Still this is a very sad day. Federer has been in the top 20 literally my entire life and only very briefly out of the top 10. On the other hand the fact that he was able to make the QF with such a serious injury shows that he could still be competitive if he got healthy. That seems unrealistic at this point, though. I hope he doesn’t go for more and more drastic surgeries that end up being detrimental to will health. I have the feeling he got injured in Halle and that was the cause of that very un-Federer like third set against Auger-Aliassime. He probably should not have played Wimbledon although I understand why he did. We should remember that Australia 2017 was incredible by itself. I’m as upset as anyone that Djokovic and probably Nadal will pass him, but if you had told me in 2016 he would win even one more major I would have been very happy.

Fed had been written off so many times before. He fell on the center court in 2016 while losing to Raonic and then called it a season while announcing knee surgery. So many people, including many of his fans, wrote him off at that time and still he came back and won three more slams. Who is to say that, he won't come back now win at least one more before calling it a career (independent of whether Novak or Ralph or both pass him eventually).