Fed Fans – Roger Federer Talk

tented

Administrator
Reactions
A nice article one Fed, retirement and his fans.

I like this part near the beginning: “… professional tennis isn’t a team sport; therefore, the question of any ‘star’ robbing a deserving youngster’s spot in the team doesn’t arise. And even though a national flag is displayed alongside the name of a player at every grand slam, his participation at that tournament is entirely in an individual capacity; there are no selectors, administrators or other such assorted stakeholders he needs to answer. With that, the only valid question that remains is—does Roger think his time is up?”

It stresses one of the reasons I enjoy tennis so much (not a team sport), and rightly places the decision making in Roger’s hands.

Also this, at the end: “So, the next time Roger Federer fails to meet those lofty standards he’s set for himself, and you feel let down, ask yourself—doesn’t the jouissance of him performing on court for a few hours eclipse the days of pain you experience watching him being bageled?”

It’s a great point. It was painful to see him get bageled, but it’s also better to see him. There will be plenty of time to not see him after he has retired; for now, enjoy that he’s still playing.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
I like this part near the beginning: “… professional tennis isn’t a team sport; therefore, the question of any ‘star’ robbing a deserving youngster’s spot in the team doesn’t arise. And even though a national flag is displayed alongside the name of a player at every grand slam, his participation at that tournament is entirely in an individual capacity; there are no selectors, administrators or other such assorted stakeholders he needs to answer. With that, the only valid question that remains is—does Roger think his time is up?”

I totally and strongly agree with that opening paragraph. It does not matter whether you are GOAT or not, if you don't make the cut you will not be allowed to play in a tournament (forgetting the WC aspect). Therefore, as long as somebody makes the cut and plays in a tournament (independent of how much they suck whether absolutely or relatively compared to their peak), the argument of robbing the spot of a deserving youngster is total baloney. If a "deserving" youngster is really deserving, they will pay their dues (may be by playing qualifying or challengers etc) and make the cut.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
This year, due to RG being pushed by a week at the last moment, the second week of RG coincided with the Stuttgart ATP 250 grass tournament.

Roger definitely should have played RG as that is the only place he can test whether his body can hold up to five set matches, coming back from injuries.
However, in retrospect, I think Roger should have gently tanked the match against Kopfer in the third round. Then suddenly, he would have become free during the second week of RG and so could have taken a WC into Stuttgart tourney. He would have gotten no flak for doing so, as he is already eliminated at RG. Then, he would have had two grass tourneys (Stuttgart and Halle) to warm up before Wimbledon and that might have potentially resulted in better performance at Wimbledon.

Of course, he did not do so as he (correctly) considers tanking a match to be unethical. After withdrawing from RG, even though he could have theoretically still played in Stuttgart, that would be even more insulting to RG and would be universally (and correctly) considered unethical.

Reactions: Fiero425

monfed

Major Winner
Reactions
Fed has withdrawn from Olympics. That's sad. At this point in Fed's career a SOG would've been good.

Last edited:

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Fed has withdrawn from Olympics. That's sad. At this point in Fed's career a SOG would've been good.

I am disappointed that Fed could not go to Olympics. The chances for SOG is very less though. I was thinking he could score some medal in mixed doubles though.

I would have felt better if he had simply cited the pandemic, bubble, no fans situation etc in his announcement of withdrawal. However, he did not do so. He said it is because of a "setback with his knee that happened during the grass season". That does not bode well going forward. Even without knee surgery issue, he has not won USO for more than 10 years starting from 2009. Now, with two knee surgeries and the additional "setback" future looks gloom. Hope he does not need another surgery though.

I think it is best for him to call it an year after USO (not play anything more this year including Laver cup and IW) and focus on rehab and retraining and come back strong like in 2017 next year (I know the chances of another comeback is less, but he should at least try).

Reactions: monfed

tented

Administrator
Reactions
I’ve long thought Roger should have a goodbye tour, like some musicians do. Let everyone know it’s now or never to see him, allow him to say goodbye to everyone at tournaments around the world, then retire at the end of the year. (Knees permitting, of course.)

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
I’ve long thought Roger should have a goodbye tour, like some musicians do. Let everyone know it’s now or never to see him, allow him to say goodbye to everyone at tournaments around the world, then retire at the end of the year. (Knees permitting, of course.)

He had previously explicitly said that he does not want to do that kind of farewell tour. Of course, he can change his mind; but, I don't think he will.

I think he will look for the nearest realistic high point he can reach and then announce retirement and play for a maximum of four months after the announcement of retirement.

Reactions: Jelenafan

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Fed's name appears in the entry list released by Roger's cup Toronto. I believe Roger will play both Toronto and Cincy this year before USO (as he may lose early in one or both).

However, I must also mention that the fact Fed's name appears in the entry list only means he has not said no to playing there at this time. He can always withdraw later. It should be kept in mind that players do not sign up for ATP 1000 mandatory tourneys (Both Toronto and Cincy are). The top 56 players are automatically included in the entry list and they need to inform the organizers, if they are not planning to play (and there is no deadline to do so).

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Fed is currently ranked #9. However, due to Novak not playing in Toronto, he will get a top 8 seeding there. Assuming the rankings don't drastically change, he will also get a top 8 seeding in Cincy as Rafa is not playing there.

But, the lucky part ends there. At USO, he won't get a top 8 seeding unless he moves up to #8 from #9 in rankings. For that he needs to outperform Berrettini by about 1300 points (quite unlikely that this will happen).

• Haha
Reactions: Fiero425

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
feddo still on for canadian atp1000 then ?,

first tourney as a 40yr old lol... here comes the zimmer(frame)man.. ooo oooooh.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
I hope Fed does not give up so soon. He should give a serious push and give one last try next year at AO and Wimby, the two slams where he had more success recently. He should skip both RG and USO forever. However, he should play in the clay season warm-up tourneys next year so that he does not get rusty before Wimbledon.

Reactions: Moxie

Michael;Kiwi

Futures Player
Reactions
I’ve never given up on Federer before, and I won’t now either. However, this seems worse than before. Considering how long he was out and his age I found R16 at the French and the QF’s at Wimbledon to be quite solid. However, it seems that even the year+ out was not enough to fix his knee. Unless this really is just a minor trouble I don’t see how he can hope to get back to contention. It is too much to both fight his age and this injury.

Reactions: Moxie and Fiero425

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Considering he played RG without much prep, he might do the same at USO also. We just have to wait and see.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Roger played exactly one match on clay before RG. He played exactly two matches on grass before Wimbledon.

I think he probably is going to play USO with 0 matched on hard before that.

Given that he has never won USO since 2008, the chances are he is not going to win it, even if he is healthy (which he is not).

But, I think he will be able to put in a decent performance and reach at least third round and at most SF depending on the draw.

p.s. There is always the possibility that he will pull out of USO also after a couple of weeks or so.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Happy Birthday Roger! :partying-face:

fed-card.jpg

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
I think Roger will play USO and Laver cup and then call it an year. However, I don't think he will retire (or even announce a retirement plan) this year.

I don't see Roger participating in the Asian Swing, even if those tournaments are not cancelled, in view of the pandemic.

I don't see Roger making the trip to USA all the way again, just to play in IW (especially after having just made two trips to USA, one for USO and one for Laver cup).

Given that Basel is cancelled this year and given that Roger won't be qualifying for the WTF, I don't see him playing in the indoor swing either.

Hopefully, he will be fully recovered and rejuvenated and start 2022 with a warm-up tourney in AUS/NZL (other than ATP cup) before AO (not the immediate week before).

However, if he recovers soon enough, there is a chance that he may decide to play Vienna and/or Paris this year as they are so close by and accumulating some points might ensure he may at least remain seeded when AO rolls around.

Last edited: