Question to Fed fans - Is there anything Fed can do to get back his legacy?

monfed

Major Winner
Reactions
I think not but I'd like to know if Fed fans think there is something Fed can do to get his GOAT status back or what must he do to get his legacy back? Is there an optimist Fed fan hiding somewhere?

Is there any silver lining at all?

calitennis127

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I think not but I'd like to know if Fed fans think there is something Fed can do to get his GOAT status back or what must he do to get his legacy back? Is there an optimist Fed fan hiding somewhere?

Win the US Open. Then everyone will be saying he is the GOAT otra vez. Federer still has 1 or 2 Wimbledons in him. I could even see him winning it at 40. There is no need to despair right now.

monfed

Major Winner
Reactions
Win the US Open. Then everyone will be saying he is the GOAT otra vez. Federer still has 1 or 2 Wimbledons in him. I could even see him winning it at 40. There is no need to despair right now.

Let's say you're right. But don't you think it will feel hollow if he beats a Cilic to do it? Where's the fun in winning slams if you don't beat your main rivals to do it?

calitennis127

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Let's say you're right. But don't you think it will feel hollow if he beats a Cilic to do it? Where's the fun in winning slams if you don't beat your main rivals to do it?

No one will care.....Nadal beat Berdych for one of his Wimbledons, Kevin Anderson for one of his US Opens, and Thiem for two of his French Opens. It truly does not matter. It is about getting the job done.

The close matches are nice but that is icing on the cake.

Btw, I really like Federer's chances at the US Open this year. I haven't said that in well over 5 years. I think he has an excellent chance of winning it.

monfed

Major Winner
Reactions
No one will care.....Nadal beat Berdych for one of his Wimbledons, Kevin Anderson for one of his US Opens, and Thiem for two of his French Opens. It truly does not matter. It is about getting the job done.

The close matches are nice but that is icing on the cake.

Btw, I really like Federer's chances at the US Open this year. I haven't said that in well over 5 years. I think he has an excellent chance of winning it.

I appreciate your optimism but I'm sorry I can't see Fed winning another slam let alone another USO. It's too bouncy and slow and physical for Fed at USO. He's certainly never beating DJ in a slam again.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

Who knows? I was shocked to hear that they'd scrubbed Federer's name off the Wimbledon champions board, not just once but eight times.

Officials at Roland Garros, Flushing and Flinders didn't even bother looking for professional engravers, they just hired a rookie panel beater to smash away at his name on the trophies.

Wiki editors have been commanded to remove any reference to the Swiss on all tennis articles, particularly those pertaining to weeks at number one and end of year championships.

... Seriously, thinking in such binary terms as GOAT v Choking Trash Mug is pathetic.

The_Grand_Slam

Masters Champion
Reactions
Has to treat the next 2 slams(US and especially AO) like life and death.
Has to win one of them anyhow, hopefully both.

monfed

Major Winner
Reactions
Has to treat the next 2 slams(US and especially AO) like life and death.
Has to win one of them anyhow, hopefully both.

But what good is that if Fed beats a Nishikori or Tsitsipas in the final say? I mean isn't that going to feel empty?

The_Grand_Slam

Masters Champion
Reactions
But what good is that if Fed beats a Nishikori or Tsitsipas in the final say? I mean isn't that going to feel empty?

I'll take that but yeah whenever people compare the two players(Fed and Djok),Federers choking will be a huge negative against him. Guy has screwed up 3-4 slam finals FGS.

Reactions: monfed

monfed

Major Winner
Reactions
Who knows? I was shocked to hear that they'd scrubbed Federer's name off the Wimbledon champions board, not just once but eight times.

Officials at Roland Garros, Flushing and Flinders didn't even bother looking for professional engravers, they just hired a rookie panel beater to smash away at his name on the trophies.

Wiki editors have been commanded to remove any reference to the Swiss on all tennis articles, particularly those pertaining to weeks at number one and end of year championships.

... Seriously, thinking in such binary terms as GOAT v Choking Trash Mug is pathetic.

The sarcasm isn't lost on me but I think it's you who is thinking in binary and projecting that on me. Spare me the lecture.

Reactions: The_Grand_Slam

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
You're the one talking about lost and found legacies. He has a legacy. Everything he's won doesn't go away after one match.

The_Grand_Slam

Masters Champion
Reactions
Couldn't have said it better myself. Thank you!

The one positive from this Wimbledon IMO is both Nadal/Djokovic don't have an overwhelming edge off the baseline like they did in the early part of this decade(Nadal from 2010-14 and Djokovic from 2011-16) so I'm optimistic about Feds chances at the HC slams.

The_Grand_Slam

Masters Champion
Reactions
You're the one talking about lost and found legacies. He has a legacy. Everything he's won doesn't go away after one match.

It wouldn't be lost if it was just one match though.

If a Challenger to your throne continues to have an edge over you in one stat (like fifth sets in this case) that negatively impacts your legacy.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
It wouldn't be lost if it was just one match though.

If a Challenger to your throne continues to have an edge over you in one stat (like fifth sets in this case) that negatively impacts your legacy.

A legacy is based on the sum of everything. So you can focus on that one stat if you like. 8 Wimbledon titles is a more convincing one.

monfed

Major Winner
Reactions

Because it IS about his legacy, genius. Sure it doesn't but losing a match in this way? This is Coria level choke. Cmon...

Reactions: The_Grand_Slam

The_Grand_Slam

Masters Champion
Reactions
Because it IS about his legacy, genius. Sure it doesn't but losing a match in this way? This is Coria level choke. Cmon...

Do you think he'll recover after this?

He shrugged off USO 2011 and responded well with a 24-match win streak.

monfed

Major Winner
Reactions
Do you think he'll recover after this?

He shrugged off USO 2011 and responded well with a 24-match win streak.

I think he will never beat Djokovic in a slam again unless Djokovic completely falters AND loses the big points for once. I can't see Federer turning it around on his own.

As far as winning another slam goes, that remains to be seen. I think Wimbledon is his best chance because USO is too bouncy and slow for his game. Nadal and Djokovic are even more difficult there.

Push comes to shove, I think he'll win another slam if it isn't Djokovic or Nadal if Fed just stops choking for the love of god.