SURFACE: Hard
PRIZE MONEY: $8,761,725
FIELD SIZE: 128
DEFENDING CHAMPION: Bianca Andreescu

Seeds:

[See draw below]

iw_01.jpg

The Tournament:

The Indian Wells Masters, also known as the Indian Wells Open and BNP Paribas Open is an annual tennis tournament held in early- and mid-March at the Indian Wells Tennis Garden in Indian Wells, California, United States. The current owner is Larry Ellison, executive chairman and co-founder of Oracle. The current tournament director is former world No. 2 player Tommy Haas. The tournament is a Masters 1000 event on the men's tour and is a WTA 1000 event on the women's tour.

Between 1974 and 1976 it was non-tour event and between 1977 and 1986 it was a secondary tournament of the Grand Prix Tennis Tour but in 1987 it was upgraded to be part of the Grand Prix Super Series, the series of nine tournaments just below the four majors and the year-end finals in importance. It took the place of the Philadelphia Indoor event as the first Super Series event of the year. The event is one of two tour events (along with the Miami Open), other than the Majors, in which main draw play extends beyond eight days. The women's main draw usually starts on Wednesday and the men's main draw starts on Thursday. Both finals are held on Sunday of the following week. Both singles main draws include 96 players in a 128-player grid, with the 32 seeded players getting a bye (a free pass) to the second round.

The tournament is played on hardcourt and is the best-attended tennis tournament outside the four Grand Slam tournaments, it is often called the "fifth Grand Slam". It has the second-largest permanent tennis stadium in the world (the Arthur Ashe Stadium being the largest).

About Indian Wells:

Indian Wells is a city in Riverside County, California, in the Coachella Valley. Incorporated in 1967, it lies in between the cities of Palm Desert and La Quinta. As of the 2010 Census, the city population was 4,958.

Indian_Wells_CA.JPG

Tourism Guide:

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Projected Q/finals based on seeds,

(1) Pliskova vs Sakkari (6)
(3) Krejcikova vs Muguruza (5)
(7) Kvitova vs Muguruza (5)
(8) Bencic vs Swiatek (2)

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Whenever Pliskobot is the top seed in a big tourney, she goes out rather meekly.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
God what a Hot Mess of a match so far.....6 breaks of serve between Sloane Stephens and Heather Watson started a t/break for the first set....who Ever can hold their serve should win....hopefully.
Watson 1st set 76(5)....the match can only go upwards.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Petra Kvitova says she'll end her season after IW.Felling the fatique and exhaustion of the year.( which is why she opted out of the BJK Cup).

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Huge turnaround in the 3rd set from Sloane Stephens 6-1,she defeats Heather Watson 67(5) 75 61
Sloane will play Jess Pegula next.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Keys has turned into Madison Ave UE machine. :facepalm: About to dump the 2nd set after being up 6-0 3-0

EDIT: She gets back on track in the nick of time. 6-0 7-5

Last edited:
Reactions: AnonymousFan

Ellentonboy

Pro Tour Player
Reactions
I don't know if many posters stayed up to watch Su-Wei Heieh and Madison Brengle play, but the first set was like a highlights video clip of Sui-Wei using her bag of tricks to find every acute angle and inch available on the court. Really incredible stuff. A week ago she was taken apart by Ons Jabeur but the match against Brengle showed she still has plenty of game left in her. Really enjoyable to watch, I am looking forward to how well she will fare against Ostapenko. I never can gauge what kind of mood Jelena is going to be in, just wondering if she will have the patience to deal with Su-Wei. Popcorn match for those who enjoy "cat and mouse" type of play....

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
I don't know if many posters stayed up to watch Su-Wei Heieh and Madison Brengle play, but the first set was like a highlights video clip of Sui-Wei using her bag of tricks to find every acute angle and inch available on the court. Really incredible stuff. A week ago she was taken apart by Ons Jabeur but the match against Brengle showed she still has plenty of game left in her. Really enjoyable to watch, I am looking forward to how well she will fare against Ostapenko. I never can gauge what kind of mood Jelena is going to be in, just wondering if she will have the patience to deal with Su-Wei. Popcorn match for those who enjoy "cat and mouse" type of play....
I love Su-Wei game..if you want to see her at her best, reference Cincy 2019 when she played against Naomi Osaka..a brilliant Classic 3 setter that I saw live. Osaka won the battle but lost the War. Naomi was completely flat and had to retire the next round vs Kenin. Su-Wei had completed sapped all the energy out of Naomi's body.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I love Su-Wei game..if you want to see her at her best, reference Cincy 2019 when she played against Naomi Osaka..a brilliant Classic 3 setter that I saw live. Osaka won the battle but lost the War. Naomi was completely flat and had to retire the next round vs Kenin. Su-Wei had completed sapped all the energy out of Naomi's body.
If only Su-Wei had a Serve.

Ellentonboy

Pro Tour Player
Reactions
Wow, what I would not give to see Su Wei play Naomi live. I have to admit I am going to search U-Tube, in hopes at least a part of the match might be there. Thanks for mentioning that match, I will search for it!

Reactions: the AntiPusher

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
They might want to put Coco and Leylah on a bigger court when they played their next doubles match it was packed.,they defeated Begu/Voracova 61 61,not a bad result for the first time of their doubles pairing.
( Note.Catherine McNally who recevied a WC into IW withdrew,she and Coco usually play doubles together and have been successful.Maybe McNally is injured? I will try to find out).

Reactions: Ellentonboy