BNP Paribas Open, Indian Wells, CA, 2021 - WTA 1000

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Hernandez's holding up a lot better it seems! She's working Cornet! :face-with-hand-over-mouth: :face-with-tears-of-joy::lol6::lulz1::fearful-face:
Cornet seems to have found her range late in the 1st set,I also think Fernandez playing doubles yesterday has helped her get used to these conditions,maybe Emma should have thought about playing doubles.

Reactions: Fiero425

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Cornet DFs and Fernandez will serve for the match 5-3....won the 1st set 62
A well measured game from Leylah,with controlled aggression
Good performance for her first singles match defeating Cornet 62 63

Last edited:

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
They might want to put Coco and Leylah on a bigger court when they played their next doubles match it was packed.,they defeated Begu/Voracova 61 61,not a bad result for the first time of their doubles pairing.
( Note.Catherine McNally who recevied a WC into IW withdrew,she and Coco usually play doubles together and have been successful.Maybe McNally is injured? I will try to find out).
I like Coco and Caty it seems like a good pairing.I hope Leila is not trying to use Coco..

Ellentonboy

Pro Tour Player
Reactions
I am looking forward to the Giorgi-Anisimova match today. Camilla hasn't won a match since her victory at the Canadian Open. Hoping she can break that losing streak, not sure if she has a supplemental or assistant coach or if her Dad is still the primary guidance. Hopefully he will be seated far away from the umpire's chair if he is court side:-)2

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
where is Caty McNally?
Hey Tossip.Caty received a w/card for singles,but withdrew from both singles and doubles,the reason Coco teamed up with Leylah,I am still trying to find out why Caty withdrew,maybe through injury

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Regarding Caty McNally I just read she withdrew because of an 'undisclosed injury"? ........

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Day 4 matches,

Bianca Andreescu (16) defending champion begins her defence against Alison Riske in the night match.Their first meeting.

Karolina Pliskova (1) she is a two time s/finalist in 2016 and 2017 plays qualifer Frech.

Barbora Krejcikova (3) vs Zarina Diyas.Barbora is the only player already to qualify for the WTA Finals in singles and doubles

Garbine Muguruza (5) vs Ajla Tomljanovic.Garbine finding form with her title win at the Chicago Tournament.

Angie Kerber (10) vs Katerina Siniakova

Ons Jabeur (12) vs Sevastova

Coco Gauff (15) vs Caroline Garcia.

Reactions: AnonymousFan

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Muguruza imploded,just as I posted she was finding form winning the Chicago Tournament,well done to my Aussie Tomljanovic with a hard fought win 63 16 63.

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Kskate you will love this,

Reading quotes from Reilly Opelka on American male tennis players currently on tour,
He also made a comment on Ken Fowler (aka Ken Doll) he said he should just stick to commentating on Football lol!

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Coco needs to start playing aggressive tennis again,lost the 2nd set in a t/break 76(2) to Garcia,up a break in the final set
Gauff defeated Garcia 63 67(2) 61..

Last edited:

Ellentonboy

Pro Tour Player
Reactions
Well I have to say I was disappointed that Giorgi lost to Anisimova. Sure, I wish the result was the other way around, But I understand, that it can't always go the way that fans want it to. It just can't. So now Camilla is what, 0-5, since winning in Montreal? Wow, that woman, you know she is just trying to find a way to win a match. I hope she does, this is awful. However, I will sit back, watch the results, and pray. Yes everyone tells me she is Jewish, but who cares? I am a good Catholic guy and if she even showed the slightest interest in me you know I would be shouting from the roof .......but that will never happen, I am a realistic individual, and I can go back to my fantasy life and everyone can say hey "that "Ellentonboy" sure has an accelerated sense of his own self importance! I don't, and I sure wish Camilla would notice me!

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I am watching Sakkari vs Golubic.....Maria has to remember these courts are slow and high bouncing,slower at night in the desert,she has to show patience.I like Golubic's game,she has a wonderful one handed backhand,with a great follow through action,also knows which shot to play.
Golubic wins the 2nd set 63.Sakkari won the 1st set 75.Really enjoying this match.
WOW Point of the Match...from Golubic .....low cross court bhand volley!...she has been on fire in this final set
Golubic leads 5-2 final set
Maria's downfall has been her failure to adjust to these courts,she is just hit and miss,also complaining to her box,losing concentration does not help her one bit.

Golubic defeats Sakkari 57 63 62!.........well done and a great performance,first time these players have met.

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Just tuning into Bianca and Alison game on serve in the 1st set 4 all.
Good service holds by both players.T/break for the 1st set
Andreescu 1st set 76(2) good serving in the t/break from Bianca,opening up the court.

Last edited:

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Projected Q/finals based on seeds,

(1) Pliskova vs Sakkari (6)
(3) Krejcikova vs Muguruza (5)
(7) Kvitova vs Muguruza (5)
(8) Bencic vs Swiatek (2)
I remember saying I didn't think these seeds would hold up to the QF. 3 are already gone and we're still in R2. By the way, I just noticed you have Mugu's name there twice.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I remember saying I didn't think these seeds would hold up to the QF. 3 are already gone and we're still in R2. By the way, I just noticed you have Mugu's name there twice.
OOps I will correct it.These slower,high bouncing courts,have been causing trouble to some players,like Garbine and Sakkari.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Scone just being Scone,can't seem to string 2 matches together at a time
Well done to Jess Pegula (19) in straight sets 62 63!
She needs to run back to Kamau in a hurry. In the early days, when he was her coach he would tell her, I don't care how many balls you have to get back, I do not want to see any UE. Only go for the winner once you are setup to execute it properly. It's what made her so lethal to play. She didn't give you any donations. Just a wall you had to hit through w/ wicked groundies.

Reactions: the AntiPusher

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
She needs to run back to Kamau in a hurry. In the early days, when he was her coach he would tell her, I don't care how many balls you have to get back, I do not want to see any UE. Only go for the winner once you are setup to execute it properly. It's what made her so lethal to play. She didn't give you any donations. Just a wall you had to hit through w/ wicked groundies.
Don't you think at times she just looks 'disinterested' in matches,she has never been a player that can come from behind.