SURFACE: Hard
PRIZE MONEY: $9,035,428
FIELD SIZE: 128
DEFENDING CHAMPION: Bianca Andreescu

Seeds:

TBD

IWTG@2x.jpg

The Tournament:

The Indian Wells Masters, also known as BNP Paribas Open and the WTA Indian Wells Open, is an annual tennis tournament held in early- and mid-March at the Indian Wells Tennis Garden in Indian Wells, California, United States. The current owner is Larry Ellison, CTO and co-founder of Oracle. The current tournament director is former world No. 2 player Tommy Haas.

The tournament is a Masters 1000 event on the men's tour and is a Premier Mandatory event on the women's tour. Between 1974 and 1976 it was non-tour event and between 1977 and 1986 it was a secondary tournament of the Grand Prix Tennis Tour but in 1987 it was upgraded to be part of the Grand Prix Super Series, the series of nine tournaments just below the four majors and the year-end finals in importance. It took the place of the Philadelphia Indoor event as the first Super Series event of the year. The event is one of two tour events (along with the Miami Open), other than the Majors, in which main draw play extends beyond eight days. The women's main draw usually starts on Wednesday and the men's main draw starts on Thursday. Both finals are held on Sunday of the following week. Both singles main draws include 96 players in a 128-player grid, with the 32 seeded players getting a bye (a free pass) to the second round.

The tournament is played on hardcourt and is the best-attended tennis tournament outside the four Grand Slam tournaments. It has the second-largest permanent tennis stadium in the world (the Arthur Ashe Stadium being the largest).

About Indian Wells:

Indian Wells is a city in Riverside County, California, in the Coachella Valley. Incorporated in 1967, it lies in between the cities of Palm Desert and La Quinta. As of the 2010 Census, the city population was 4,958.

Indian_Wells_CA.JPG

Tourism Guide:

TV Coverage:

Australia - beIN
Austria - DAZN
Belarus - Belarus TV
Belgium - beIN
Bosnia-Herzegovina, Croatia, Kosovo, Macedonia, Montenegro, Serbia, Slovenia - IKO SportKlub
Bulgaria - Bulsat
Canada - TVA Sports, DAZN
Caribbean - SportsMax
China - iQIYI
Chinese Taipei - Sportcast
Czech Republic - O2 Czech Sports
Denmark - TV2
Estonia - Telia
Finland - NENT
France - beIN
Germany - DAZN
Greece - Cosmote TV
Hong Kong - Now TV
Hungary - Digisport
Italy, San Marino & Vatican City - Super Tennis
Japan - DAZN
Latin America - Sony
Latvia - Best4Sport
Malaysia & Brunei - Astro
Middle East & North Africa - beIN
Netherlands - Fox Sports
New Zealand - Spark
Norway - NENT
Poland - TVP Sport
Romania - Digisport
Russia - Match TV
Singapore - Starhub
Slovakia - Digisport
South Korea - Eclat
Switzerland - DAZN
Sweden - NENT
Thailand - Truevision
Turkey - beIN
Ukraine - Match TV, Poverkhnost
UK & Ireland - BT Sport
USA - Tennis Channel
Vietnam - Vietcontent

Reactions: AnonymousFan

Hoergren

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Top names missing because of injuries : Andreescu, Halep nd Kerber - well until now

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Breaking News,

Indian Wells tournament has just been cancelled after a confirmed case of coronavirus confirmed locally.More news to come

• Wow

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
The Riverside County Public Health Department has declared a public health emergency for the Coachella Valley after a confirmed case of coronavirus COVID-19 locally.As a result the 2020 PNP Paribas Open will not take place at this time due to concerns surrounding the coronavirus and the safety of participants and attendees at the event.

Tournament Director Tommy Haas,

""We are prepared to hold the tournament on another date and will explore options."

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Wow. Bombshell.

I feel they had done the most sensible thing,to try to contain the virus in the area.There was a emergency meeting of the players council about 1 hour ago,which I noticed on Twitter,at the time I thought it was strange,though they probably had news that the event was to be cancelled.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I feel they had done the most sensible thing,to try to contain the virus in the area.There was a emergency meeting of the players council about 1 hour ago,which I noticed on Twitter,at the time I thought it was strange,though they probably had news that the event was to be cancelled.
It will be interesting to find out what the players council decides about traveling and playing for the near future.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
It will be interesting to find out what the players council decides about traveling and playing for the near future.

I have another question what about the points players were defending at this tournament,what happens if the tournament this year cannot be rescheduled?

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I have another question what about the points players were defending at this tournament,what happens if the tournament this year cannot be rescheduled?
That's a good question. What if a whole portion of the calendar doesn't get played? And it can't be made up? I guess it will just have to be too bad.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
That's a good question. What if a whole portion of the calendar doesn't get played? And it can't be made up? I guess it will just have to be too bad.

I guess the WTA and ATP will have to have a meeting to discuss it,if the tournament cannot be rescheduled.