27. Petra Kvitova
28. Liudmila Samsonova
29. Clara Tauson
30. Marketa Vondrousova
31. Viktorija Golubic
32. Sara Sorribes Tormo

IWTG_Stadium_1.JPG

The Tournament:

The Indian Wells Masters, also known as the Indian Wells Open and BNP Paribas Open is an annual tennis tournament held in early- and mid-March at the Indian Wells Tennis Garden in Indian Wells, California, United States. The current owner is Larry Ellison, executive chairman and co-founder of Oracle. The current tournament director is former world No. 2 player Tommy Haas. The tournament is a Masters 1000 event on the men's tour and is a WTA 1000 event on the women's tour.

Between 1974 and 1976 it was non-tour event and between 1977 and 1986 it was a secondary tournament of the Grand Prix Tennis Tour but in 1987 it was upgraded to be part of the Grand Prix Super Series, the series of nine tournaments just below the four majors and the year-end finals in importance. It took the place of the Philadelphia Indoor event as the first Super Series event of the year. The event is one of two tour events (along with the Miami Open), other than the Majors, in which main draw play extends beyond eight days. The women's main draw usually starts on Wednesday and the men's main draw starts on Thursday. Both finals are held on Sunday of the following week. Both singles main draws include 96 players in a 128-player grid, with the 32 seeded players getting a bye (a free pass) to the second round.

The tournament is played on hardcourt and is the best-attended tennis tournament outside the four Grand Slam tournaments, it is often called the "fifth Grand Slam". It has the second-largest permanent tennis stadium in the world (the Arthur Ashe Stadium being the largest).

About Indian Wells:

Indian Wells is a city in Riverside County, California, in the Coachella Valley. Incorporated in 1967, it lies in between the cities of Palm Desert and La Quinta. As of the 2010 Census, the city population was 4,958.

Indian_Wells_CA.JPG

Tourism Guide:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Potential QFs ( if the seeds hold up)

(1) Krejcikova vs Pliskova (7)
(3) Swiatek vs Muguruza (8)
(5) Badosa vs Kontaveit (4)
(6) Sakkari vs Sabalenka (2)

Seeing (1) Krejcikova has just withdrawn from IW I will have to rethink QFs position she could have withdrawn before I did the potential QFs,....Hmmm.

Last edited:
Reactions: AnonymousFan

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Barbora Krejcikova has withdrawn from IW due to an elbow injury
Alize Cornet moves into Krejcikova's spot in the draw

Hmmm I had her as one of the favorites,due to the fact the courts are slower and it takes spin well.
BTW I also think she has to seriously re-think playing doubles as well in say WTA1000 tournaments and majors,if she wants to keep her singles ranking and remain healthy.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Potential QFs ( if the seeds hold up)

(1) Krejcikova vs Pliskova (7)
(3) Swiatek vs Muguruza (8)
(5) Badosa vs Kontaveit (4)
(6) Sakkari vs Sabalenka (2)

Seeing (1) Krejcikova has just withdrawn from IW I will have to rethink QFs position she could have withdrawn before I did the potential QFs,....Hmmm.
You've probably already told this, but why did Krejcikova withdraw? EDIT: Sorry, I see now...elbow.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Caro is right. It's very tough to watch Sofia struggle like this. She is a shell of herself. Very difficult to see her so unsure of herself. I know she had a bad time with the lingering effects of Covid. Maybe she can find a way back in this match and gain some confidence.

By the way, the stands appear empty for a night session

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Caro is right. It's very tough to watch Sofia struggle like this. She is a shell of herself. Very difficult to see her so unsure of herself. I know she had a bad time with the lingering effects of Covid. Maybe she can find a way back in this match and gain some confidence.

By the way, the stands appear empty for a night session
Sofia has just got back with her father as her coach as well,agree she is unsure of herself,which is not the Sofia we are used to.maybe she needs more time to find her self confidence,usually her game should follow.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Another wild card, D.Yastremska who was a finalist at the Lyon tournament in France,was defeated by Caroline Garcia in 3 sets 46 67(8) 75.I will give Yastermska a pass as she had to fly from Paris to San Diego and was given the wild card last minute.,she must have been tired.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
The Stand Out Match on Thursday 10th March,
Sloane Stephens vs Naomi Osaka....not before 3.00pm local time
I am certain AP will be watching this match

Good to see the doubles team back together at IW Coco Gauff/ Catherine McNally (3) also playing on Thursday.

Last edited:

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I am getting tired of the Yemstra Ukraine story and she seems to be milking this sob story to no end.Svitolina is also from the same country but is not exploiting the situation.