SURFACE: Hard
PRIZE MONEY: $8,359.455
FIELD SIZE: 128
DEFENDING CHAMPION: Dominic Thiem

Seeds:

[See draw below]

iw_01.jpg

The Tournament:

The Indian Wells Masters, also known as the Indian Wells Open and BNP Paribas Open is an annual tennis tournament held in early- and mid-March at the Indian Wells Tennis Garden in Indian Wells, California, United States. The current owner is Larry Ellison, executive chairman and co-founder of Oracle. The current tournament director is former world No. 2 player Tommy Haas. The tournament is a Masters 1000 event on the men's tour and is a WTA 1000 event on the women's tour.

Between 1974 and 1976 it was non-tour event and between 1977 and 1986 it was a secondary tournament of the Grand Prix Tennis Tour but in 1987 it was upgraded to be part of the Grand Prix Super Series, the series of nine tournaments just below the four majors and the year-end finals in importance. It took the place of the Philadelphia Indoor event as the first Super Series event of the year. The event is one of two tour events (along with the Miami Open), other than the Majors, in which main draw play extends beyond eight days. The women's main draw usually starts on Wednesday and the men's main draw starts on Thursday. Both finals are held on Sunday of the following week. Both singles main draws include 96 players in a 128-player grid, with the 32 seeded players getting a bye (a free pass) to the second round.

The tournament is played on hardcourt and is the best-attended tennis tournament outside the four Grand Slam tournaments, it is often called the "fifth Grand Slam". It has the second-largest permanent tennis stadium in the world (the Arthur Ashe Stadium being the largest).

About Indian Wells:

Indian Wells is a city in Riverside County, California, in the Coachella Valley. Incorporated in 1967, it lies in between the cities of Palm Desert and La Quinta. As of the 2010 Census, the city population was 4,958.

Indian_Wells_CA.JPG

Tourism Guide:

Last edited:
Reactions: AnonymousFan

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I'd think that this is either going to be Medvedev or Zverev, but there are some darkhorses in Berretini, Hurkacz, and Tsitsipas, and I think Rublev will win a Masters at some point soon.

I also think it is only a matter of time before Sinner and Auger-Aliassime win a Masters. If not this year, then next. People bag on FAA, but I still see elite potential. He just needs to get over the mental hurdle of winning a title, and then he'll be right there with Zverev and Tsitsipas, with the potential to go even higher in another year or two.

Reactions: Fiero425

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I have done some projected Q/finals ( if the seeds hold)

Medvedev vs Hurkacz
Rublev vs Ruud
Zverev vs Berrettini
Tsitsipas vs Auger-Aliassime

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Sascha's due for a bad loss! I haven't looked at the draw, but he can go out to anyone IMO! Do we really think he's overcome all his issues? :astonished-face:
"All his issues?" He's still a pretty damn good player. How many players have had 7 big titles and 17 titles overall before their 25th birthday?

His 17 titles are tied for 51st in the Open Era, with players like Richard Krajicek, Alex Corretja, and Dominic Thiem. His 7 big titles are tied with Stan Smith and Marat Safin for 24th all-time.

We need to get out of the mentality of any player who isn't Roger/Rafa/Novak is disappointing or sucks, or has issues. Zverev isn't a perfect player, but he's a pretty damn good one. I'd be very surprised if he doesn't win--at least--a Slam or two, and even if he doesn't he's going to end up with 10++ big titles, and 30++ titles. Only 16 players in the Open Era have 10+ big titles, and Andy Murray and Ilie Nastase are the worst of them. Near-greats like Jim Courier, Gustavo Kuerten, and Guillermo Vilas didn't reach 10.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
"All his issues?" He's still a pretty damn good player. How many players have had 7 big titles and 17 titles overall before their 25th birthday?

His 17 titles are tied for 51st in the Open Era, with players like Richard Krajicek, Alex Corretja, and Dominic Thiem. His 7 big titles are tied with Stan Smith and Marat Safin for 24th all-time.

We need to get out of the mentality of any player who isn't Roger/Rafa/Novak is disappointing or sucks, or has issues. Zverev isn't a perfect player, but he's a pretty damn good one. I'd be very surprised if he doesn't win--at least--a Slam or two, and even if he doesn't he's going to end up with 10++ big titles, and 30++ titles. Only 16 players in the Open Era have 10+ big titles, and Andy Murray and Ilie Nastase are the worst of them. Near-greats like Jim Courier, Gustavo Kuerten, and Guillermo Vilas didn't reach 10.
Perspective is indeed needed. David Nalbandian I find always gives some. Of course, considered one of the great underachievers of the past 2 decades, but he had 11 titles, and only 2 of them were MS1000s. And one Major final. That's it...and he was very talented.

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com

How many have been under investigation for abusive behavior? That's a new one in tennis as far as I'm concerned! Personally it isn't our business, but...! :facepalm: :astonished-face: :anxious-face-with-sweat::zippermouthface::exploding-head:

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions

SMH when I read stuff like "he's due for a bad loss" or "he deserved to win". Nobody is due anything and no one deserves anything. This is a sport where you have to compete. Losses come when you get beat or have to retire because of injury or sickness. Wins are never deserved, but always earned. The way some of these whiners complain. Sheesh!

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
How many have been under investigation for abusive behavior? That's a new one in tennis as far as I'm concerned! Personally it isn't our business, but...! :facepalm: :astonished-face: :anxious-face-with-sweat::zippermouthface::exploding-head:
It is a different era, with everyone under the microscope. I mean, it's not like there weren't sketchy men before "#metoo" or abusive cops before everyone had a cellphone. But we live in a time of mutual surveillance. Not excusing Zverev, but it isn't like he's the first dude to do this shit.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
It is a different era, with everyone under the microscope. I mean, it's not like there weren't sketchy men before "#metoo" or abusive cops before everyone had a cellphone. But we live in a time of mutual surveillance. Not excusing Zverev, but it isn't like he's the first dude to do this shit.
And whether he's guilty or not. I'm OK to live with "alleged" behavior until it is proven, but at least tennis is willing to investigate and take it seriously.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
SMH when I read stuff like "he's due for a bad loss" or "he deserved to win". Nobody is due anything and no one deserves anything. This is a sport where you have to compete. Losses come when you get beat or have to retire because of injury or sickness. Wins are never deserved, but always earned. The way some of these whiners complain. Sheesh!
My LORD KS you are like Tennis Frontier Yoda

• Haha
Reactions: shawnbm and kskate2

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I am going to Indian Wells tournament for two days (one day mainly for practice and one day mainly for matches). Even though the Big Three are not playing the tournament, I am still excited to watch live tennis in person. Let's see if I can see Alcaraz, Sinner and Medvedev live during their practice sessions. I already saw Murray play a match in person and I saw FAA practice live in San Diego last week.

As for the women, I definitely will try to watch both Raducanu and Laylah Fernandez live. If not, I can watch some women matches in the stadium.

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Andy Murray in the latter-day-Hewitt phase of his career. I do wish him the best and would love to see him rise up and sneak in another big title, but does anyone honestly think he will?

• Haha
Reactions: Fiero425

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
the kokk lost in q1..in a 3rd set tb (11-9)..ouch.

in 'race to turin' he is rank 136 with 343 pts which is only 87pts away from top100.

Ellentonboy

Pro Tour Player
Reactions
I am curious to see how US Open QF Botic Van De Zandschulp will do after winning two qualifying matches, as well as the young American Brooksby. Booksby drew Ilkel, who I have to admit I have never seen play. That should prove interesting, and Botic has American Giron, who I believe is at an all time ranking high of 59. Should prove interesting.......

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Murray is looking for his wedding ring :astonished-face: :facepalm: