BNP Paribas Open, Indian Wells, CA, 2021 - ATP Masters 1000

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
That's the problem with MOST players outside the "Big 3!" I know we keep expecting someone to break out and take over, but they seem to falter in the following weeks or months! I already knew Taylor wouldn't be able to sustain this tennis! He had to be "zoning" out to beat anyone in the top 10; NO SHADE, just fact! He's not the only one! Just because the top 3 seeds lost in IW's doesn't mean they won't pop back while the players who beat them might fall back into obscurity! I've already spoken about Dustin Brown, Robin Soderling, and many others from the past! Robin's downfall was more about his back IIRC! The rest just couldn't keep it up after their big win! Kyrgios has the game, but not the mental strength! Same w/ Shapo! ;-)
A lot of these lads who had big upset wins only win because they could hardly lose. Even if they lost, they get kudos if they win a set, or get to a tiebreak. If they lose 1, 2 & 3, the typical reaction is to yawn, because what else did you expect?

So they can take a wild swing at things, with absolutely nothing to lose, and sometimes they even win. Watch them then, in the next match, when there’s a weight of expectation on them, and they vanish like mist. Strawballs, blowing like tumbleweeds in a cowboy town. I compare them to snipers, taking a free shot at the king, with absolutely nothing at stake from their side. Okay, so you shot the king, and the next battle is hand to hand combat in the arena, and everybody knows your name, and your face, and your own reputation is on the line?

Strawballs… :popcorn

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
That's the problem with MOST players outside the "Big 3!" I know we keep expecting someone to break out and take over, but they seem to falter in the following weeks or months! I already knew Taylor wouldn't be able to sustain this tennis! He had to be "zoning" out to beat anyone in the top 10; NO SHADE, just fact! He's not the only one! Just because the top 3 seeds lost in IW's doesn't mean they won't pop back while the players who beat them might fall back into obscurity! I've already spoken about Dustin Brown, Robin Soderling, and many others from the past! Robin's downfall was more about his back IIRC! The rest just couldn't keep it up after their big win! Kyrgios has the game, but not the mental strength! Same w/ Shapo! ;-)
I thought Dr. Front's Robin had Mono

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Norrie is the second player to win a Masters this year that had previously never ranked in the top 20. His previous high (last week) was #26; Hurkacz's was #28.

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Trivia question: Without looking it up, there have been five Brits to win a big title during the Open Era. Who are they?

I'll give a hint, with the year of their first big titles:

First Big Title By Brit:
2021: Cameron Norrie
2008:
2003:
1998:
1976:

Last edited:

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Trivia question: Without looking it up, there have been five Brits to win a big title during the Open Era. Who are they?

First Big Title By Brit:
2008:
2003:
1998:
1976:
Henman? I don't know guys before him, I'm too young :)

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions

First Big Title By Brit:
2008:
2003:
1998:
1976:
2008 murray
2003 henman won paris beating fedster on the way
1998 greg rusedski
1976 maybe mark cox or buster mottram, guessing really, deffo not john lloyd tho so rule him out.

Reactions: El Dude and tented

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
norrie was 8-14 w/l at masters level before this tourney, now he is 14-14 lol.